Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel machining finishes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niterace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel machining finishes
    Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 11:48am
I am wondering about barrel finishes.  Some are ground smooth and some are left with obvious machining marks all along the barrel.  Was this process specific to different manufacturers?  Did it vary by time period?  Was a final cosmetic process left off in the interest of time during peak production?  I currently have several examples of each finish from nearly all manufacturers, and can find no discussion of this issue.   Any guidance is much appreciated!
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 1:48pm
I've wondered about the processes myself, I have read that the Buffalo Arms barrels were of poor shooting quality however my Quality Hardware carbine has the Buffalo barrel and it shoots exceptional for a 30 carbine.

Anyone with insight please post, I'm in need of enlightenment. :-)
David Milisock
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:04pm
Barrels were originally required to be finish ground. It was found leaving them rough helped better to dissipate the heat. This also saved an operation and therefore time. It was approved, yet some still ground the barrels.

Turned and ground smooth

Turned

Turned may be subjective term, They were turned on a specialized machine like a lathe that actually roughed out all the groves at the same time. If you look you will see it is not a conventional turning where the grooves follow a spiral pattern like a screw thread.
I cannot think of the name of the process/machine at the moment, if anyone knows please chime in.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:25pm
I think those grooves form a spiral just like the thread of a screw. Grooves pictured on the Inland are fine, those on Underwood are much coarser - just a difference in machining. The spiral pattern can be difficult to eyeball if you don't have excellent visual focus and extreme powers of concentration. To see the spiral, it's easier take something pointed which won't scratch the finish, like a toothpick, and, starting at the muzzle end, use the point to follow the groove around, like a needle in a record. After a couple of turns with the point held continuously in the groove, it'll be obvious you'll end up at the breech if you keep going. To wit, the grooves are not "concentric circles'
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:52pm
Hey man as long as it shoots great I'm good to go. The improved cooling makes sense to me.
David Milisock
Niterace View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niterace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 2:47pm
Is there any record of who did what and when?  Or at least some general date/contractor guidance?
 Post Reply Post Reply