Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland
    Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 11:10am
Hi,
I have an Inland spring tube that I bought on a CMP auction a few years ago. Its serial number is 408,140 and it has an Underwood ‘44 barrel with bayo mount. Rear sight is windage adjustable. Stock is well used dark walnut with rack numbers. No cartouches or markings that I can see. Any information that you can provide is appreciated. Round bolt. First post. 
Thanks, Mike
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 3:52pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Inland spring tubes are kind of rare. Your SN is right where Inland is known to have repaired some scrap receivers that had deep hole problems by making them into spring tubes. The Underwood barrel is probably a replacement. I would have expected your SN to have originally shipped with a flat bolt. With that and the bayonet lug, it looks like a rebuild. We would sure like to see pictures. Do you still have the CMP cert?
JackP
Lawrencemr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 4:29pm
Thank you. I do still even the CMP tag on the barrel from the CMP auction. I’ll take photos and post next weekend. I have made no effort to take off the rear sight nor have I disassembled the bolt and likely  will not. Given the bayo lug, rear sight, round bolt and safety style I assumed that it had been rebuilt at least once. 

I appreciate the response and I’ll get some nice pics up next weekend. 
Regards, Mike
Ps what part of NM?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 5:27pm
Hi Mike, Cloudcroft is in the Lincoln National Forest in southeast NM, "9000 feet above stress level".
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 4:41pm

Trying to use Imgur to post pics. No joy.

Mod note: pics added

Edited by New2brass - Aug 10 2019 at 12:13pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 4:45pm
Please let me know if you could see the  Pics. I have been to Cloudcroft but it was a few decades ago. It may have still been under the sea. LOL

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 4:52pm
here is what I get when I click your link

Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn.
Let's split up, gang. If you're looking for an image, it's probably been deleted or may not have existed at all.
If you are looking for groovy images, visit our gallery!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2019 at 5:53pm
Yep, that worked. Are those numbers or letters on the bottom of the pistol grip?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 5:58am
Looks like a rack number to me.

Edited by New2brass - Aug 10 2019 at 12:14pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 11:27am
It looks like you do have a flat bolt after all. I bet that stock could tell some great stories if it could talk. How about closeups of the sling well and rack numbers?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 2:31pm
It seems you did not upload the file correctly. If you need help just let me know.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 2:51pm
I need help. It looked perfect on this end. I don’t have photo bucket and I use an IPhone.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 5:47pm
https://imgur.com/a/acee1nS

Trying again. Rack numbers and sling inlet. Sorry for the empty posts. Hope this works. 
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 7:15pm
Yep, you got it that time
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 11:36am
Wow, it looks like someone really wanted to be sure the rack numbers were easy to see. The marks in the sling well are really hard to make out. Maybe someone else will recognize something. The stock has a generous coating of "patina". Perhaps there is something underneath that we can't see now.
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 11:43am
Mike, I also noticed that it has a Rock-Ola butt plate. It has that distinctive missing dot at 3 o'clock. Look and see if you can see "RSG" in the sling well.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:11pm
Can’t really tell on the RSG. It looks like there were intentional strike outs or over stamps in the sling inlet but can’t see the underlying clearly. The rack numbers appear on the pistol grip and 2 places on the underside of the stock. Good to know on the butt plate, thanks. Hard to tell on the bolt. I have round and flat on other carbines but this seems somewhere in between both. I appreciate the input as all I knew was that it is a mystery numbered Inland spring tube with an Underwood barrel. Any other info is appreciated too. I read the tutorial on uploading photos but no joy. If anyone can offer me some help on that I will appreciate that too. Please pm me. Thanks, Mike

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:28pm
I installed your pictures.
Unfortunately the apple stuff is not something I am familiar with. Here is a tutorial which you may have already read.

you need to upload the pictures in your file, but they must be resized if too large. There is a link in my signature on how to upload as well as resizing the pictures.
Between the two tutorials maybe you can get it to work. 
If not I will install pictures when I can.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:35pm
I'm sorry Mike, I meant to say "RMC", not RSG". My bad.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

I'm sorry Mike, I meant to say "RMC", not RSG". My bad.

I knew what you meant Jack.

Is this possibly an "RMC"

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>