Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

C Tip Sling Markings Spotters Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C Tip Sling Markings Spotters Report
    Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 9:15am
Anyone have information regarding the MFP marking on this sling? Manufacture?

Edited by New2brass - Aug 01 2019 at 10:39am
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 9:21am
You sir have a I.B.M. marked sling and its worth a small fortune. Here's two examples, notice the period bleeds into the letters.
Dave
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 9:53am
Thank you for quick reply Dave.
I have dug through some old online threads on this topic, that Bill Ricca had pointed out the bleeding of the "I." that make it appear like an L. My concern on this one, is the MFP marking that I am not familiar with or can find any clear information on.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 10:11am
I can't help you with the MFP stamp but I sure hope you have a nice IBM carbine to attach it to.
Dave
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 10:28am
Well I feel like It's a nice one Dave. There is link to google photo album in thread below of said nice IBM carbine.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:03pm
Is the MFP stamp perhaps; Mildew Fungus Proofed ? or Moisture and Fungus Protected?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:07pm
possibly Moisture and Fungus Proofing?

https://www.dla.mil/portals/104/documents/landAndMaritime/v/va/pSMC/documents/lM_MIL_HDBK_454B_151030.pdf

5.2 Parts treatment. When treatment of parts is required to form fungus-resistant materials, a Moisture and Fungus Proofing (MFP) varnish may be applied in accordance with MIL-T-152 after the part is cleaned. The MFP varnish should not be applied to any part where the treatment will interfere with performance.

Though the varnish thing seems incorrect for this application. It does seem that a product refered to as MFP was used in WW2 for coating electronics.

We know about MRT, Maybe this is something that came later, question is when?

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:12pm
Has me wondering if it was treated post WWII? No place to mark on C tip like the D tip with MRT for example. Interesting for sure.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:19pm
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:23pm
That is funny Dan; I was just looking at an antique radio forum regard radios used in WWII and the process of MFP treatment. Also there are unit files not viewable online on National Archive site regarding moisture and fungi proofing with 44-45 dates.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:28pm
I have sound and the clip at around 11 minute mark, illustrates webbing that has been treated vs not treated and the effects.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/718231.pdf
Search PDF for keyword webbing.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2019 at 5:39am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675039092_Signal-Corps-radio-610_fungi-proofing-procedure_treating-effected-equipments

go to 11 minute mark. Boy I wish it had sound!
I have sound, even on my old computer.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2019 at 5:11pm
Sound works for me too. Wow! That sling without treatment is full of mold. Wonder how long it took for it to get that bad? 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 12:05am
re sound; my son turned the volume down on speakers when I left room, as I left music on. Lol The computer volume showed it was at correct level. 

Several videos have no sound so I just figured this was another.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2019 at 6:51pm
IBM C-Tip (Apparently MFP really works) Big smile

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 10:42am
Hmm, I have been researching the MFP. Maybe you should send the sling to me for further testing Clown

I have made this a spotters report for anyone searching MFP.

If anyone observes the MFP marking on any web gear, carbine or not, please report it to the club by posting hear or other means.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 10:57am
Ummm yeah Dan Ahhh No on the C-Tip DNA testing Tongue

I have found listings for D tips with MFP marking dated 1963. One seller even had a photo of box they were aquired in that also was stamped MFP. Will try and locate again.

Hmm, I have been researching the MFP. Maybe you should send the sling to me for further testing Clown

If anyone observes the MFP marking on any web gear, carbine or not, please report it to the club by posting hear or other means.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Ummm yeah Dan Ahhh No on the C-Tip DNA testing Tongue

I have found listings for D tips with MFP marking dated 1963. One seller even had a photo of box they were aquired in that also was stamped MFP. Will try and locate again.

Those slings are marked MRT 5-68 with no MFP markings.
I find it suspect that the box is 1963 and that they would be treated later and put in the same box.

Ah come on, I can DNA test and get it right back to you in say 20-30 years. That providing my testing does not destroy it.  Wacko
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2019 at 7:12pm
Here is another MFP marked C-Tip.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=187498

Yep Dan, these.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-usgi-vietnam-od-30-m1-carbine-sling-39

Here is a copy of Signal from 1951 that mentions M.F.P. (Moisture Fungi Proofing)
https://books.google.com/books?id=IEEbAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA11-PA9&lpg=RA11-PA9&dq=MFP+military+stamping&source=bl&ots=ySXQ-AbcHS&sig=ACfU3U2gItIn1NmcZ9-E8vDJr98pAFk82Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih-c7O7OLjAhUBaq0KHbBBBSUQ6AEwBnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=MFP%20military%20stamping&f=false

Hope it's ok I posted links.

Yeah; I was picturing you taking little snippets of the webbing and placing in test tubes. Geek

Edited by ncin1911 - Aug 01 2019 at 7:47pm
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 5:50pm
Found this on one of the military radio forums. Believe this piece sits behind the dial. The date of the MFP treatment was what interested me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>