The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Unissued" Carbine offered on CMP auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Unissued" Carbine offered on CMP auction
    Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 6:57am
What is a potential pitfall of such an offering? What is meant by no inspection or test fire has been done? By CMP?

M1 Carbine Unissued National Postal Meter 4365093

Carbine is covered in grease. There has been NO inspection or test fire done on this rifle. It has a Marlin barrel, a type III barrel band, a type I, II, III or IV slide. It has stemmed rear adjustable sights. It has a low wood Oval cut stock, stamped with a 6 and a K in a circle; and a 4 rivet hand guard. Please see Pictures.

Edited by tenOCEE - Jul 24 2019 at 8:53am
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 9:12am
Someone has some splainin to do!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 10:13am
Pretty sure the "no inspection or test fire" means that the CMP has not done either. Wouldn't this carbine be similar to the "white bag" carbines that are often talked about?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 12:29pm
White Bags predate me and I've never investigated them. Are they saying they know this was never issued but went through a rebuild/updating and has been stored since? Because they're saying it's unissued so it must mean that.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 12:47pm
Not sure how they would know that it is unissued. I bet that it sells for big bucks!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 1:30pm
Where does it say this carbine is "unissued"?

"There has been NO inspection or test fire done on this rifle." does not mean it's "unissued".

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Where does it say this carbine is "unissued"?

In the listing title.

"M1 Carbine Unissued National Postal Meter 4365093"
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I bet that it sells for big bucks!

That may be a gross understatement. Wink  Plus, it's the first carbine offered on the auction for a couple weeks.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 9:34am
Hi, "unissued" since rebuild?  I would treat this as any other Carbine and not pay extra for the hype. "buy the gun, not the story." regards, Mike
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Uncle Mike Uncle Mike wrote:

Hi, "unissued" since rebuild?  I would treat this as any other Carbine and not pay extra for the hype. "buy the gun, not the story." regards, Mike

No interest from me; I am looking for another Bavarian.  I kick myself min the butt for missing the one Jim sold back in June. Cry

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 12:09pm
Since when does the CMP not clean and inspect the firearms they sell? Is that not the reason why people pay more for a CMP certificate?

Did the CMP issue certificated on the bolt-less barreled receivers?

The un-issued and no proof marks is ignorance or downright misleading! 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 12:26pm
When you click the VIEW ALL PICTURES tab, magnify and look at the Barrel band spring (Pic #5).
It shows plenty of scars from being pressed down. So it's been apart.
I'm surprised since it's SOLD AS IS that there's no grading on it.
No muzzle or chamber readings........ Unless no one wants to take the time to flush the axle grease out of it.

I see the M1A1 currently listed has had the muzzle and chamber read.
Anyone see the date on the ID tag?
Been sitting around since 4-18-16..........

CH-P777

Edit, Sorry Dan, I was tweaking this reply when you posted before me.

Also wondering about a Certificate...........
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Since when does the CMP not clean and inspect the firearms they sell?
The un-issued and no proof marks is ignorance or downright misleading! 

Or test fired for that matter. Very strange, seems like they may be using this wording to get the best $buck$ for the bang. Not what the CMP should be doing. I did not see a mention of no proof mark??
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 2:27pm
Enough speculation.  I emailed them the following:
Can you provide the basis for the "unissued" since this carbine has obviously been re-arsenaled?
Also why wasn't it inspected, the TE and MW checked and wasn't test fired?

Stay tuned...
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 3:34pm
CMP also has an "unissued" M1 Garand that has already passed $2500.  Looks dry as a bone from the pictures!  Maybe CMP is "cleaning out the back room"??

Semper Fi, Bruce
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 4:08pm
Quick reply!  And the answer is:  
Carbine was previously issued. Was left in cosmoline that we received it in. There is cosmoline in barrel.

So I guess it's considered an Unissued rearsenal. Guess they figured no need to inspect or test anything "arsenal fresh".
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 4:11pm
then there should be crisp rebuild marks as well as being ready for service........
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 8:26pm
Thanks to TenOC for starting it.... and to sling00 for reaching out to CMP. 
Said above, maybe CMP is cleaning up the back room.
I believe so since the date on the M1A1 tag is from 2016.
Low supply = big demand = big price.

"Carbine was previously issued. Was left in cosmoline that we received it in. There is cosmoline in barrel."

While he was in the Philippines,
I remember my Father talking about having to help pack carbines in wood crates.
He told this story often, so the best I can remember, it was like this:
They'd have to wait for (his words) a paper pushing shiny boot wearing youngster who was probably still sh*t-en yellow to write down the serial numbers.
The card with numbers had to be attached to the end of the crate before we could wipe em down so they could put a X on the form.
The crates were marked to which ship they were to be delivered to and where that ship was moored.
The wood racks the carbines would set on inside the crates had to be treated with what ever they had on hand to prevent any possible moisture in the wood from contacting any metal.
Said if a preservative oil wasn't available that they used axle grease.
Grease was easier since you had it all over you. They liked to save the oil for their own guns and easier to store and keep clean.
These guns were coming from a raised hut with tin roof that was used as their camp armory. 
He along with most of the GI's there at this time were Engineers.
Part of the big build up of Engineer units for the future possibility of rebuilding Japan.
That rebuilding didn't happen to the extent previously planned. This was when many of these units got their tickets home.
Many of those carbines had been upgraded with the newer/latest parts that had been arriving.

This offering by CMP  makes me wonder about these carbines upgraded by these small unit/camp/base depots...... Who at the time when rounding up extra arms performed upgrades with what they had at the time.

IDK, just seems odd that's all they have for an explanation/description on the history on it.

Feel it coming ? M1 Carbines smothered in grease being offered on GB as Unissued after release from  arsenal.

Would love to know if it gets sent with Certificate....
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2019 at 8:44pm
Tom, the fella who does the South Store reports said a couple of times that CMP had some M1A1s they were toying with leaving occasional Easter eggs at certain events in the past. That hasn't happened, but the auctions of them show that they do have some.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2019 at 10:56am
Looks like the word "unissued" has been removed from the listing. Glad sling00 was able to get an answer from them.
I used the Q/A on the auction site and asked these questions yesterday morning and did not get an answer.
(The listing of this carbine states "unissued" can you please clarify what exactly that means, ie.. unissued after rebuild, how is this known? Also will this carbine come with a CMP certificate?)
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply