The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hand Guard Rivets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Guard Rivets?
    Posted: Jul 11 2019 at 3:51pm
Anyone ever tightened or replaced hand-guard rivets?

Seems to me like a hollow-nose rivet would work, maybe have to dress-off part of the head. I wonder if there is a setting tool that will form the same shape as the original rivets?

Any experience out there?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 12:40pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 1:01pm
That would surely work to tighten rivets up. Never having actually seen the rivets that were used, I’m thinking one would possibly have to modify a locally available hollow-nose rivet. I am just wondering if there is an actual setting-tool out there that would roll the nose in the same fashion as the original rivets? All the setting punches I see form a concave nose. 

One more question...were there any USGI hand guards produced that never were attached with rivets? Tab held in place by small nails.

Edited by floydthecat - Jul 12 2019 at 1:36pm
old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 1:31pm
Dan, I can't see you shopping at H.F.
Retired Army Guy
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by old59porsche old59porsche wrote:

Disposable tools I bet.😁
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by old59porsche old59porsche wrote:

Actually I used to have a deal with a local Importer of machine tools from Israel and possibly other places. they had cheap stuff which was still better than the Enco, a inexpensive machine tool supply online,  which was much better than Harbor freight.

I had done some stuff for them in exchange for what I needed. Beyond that I paid dealer price.
They are long gone and I cannot believe the cost of some machine tooling now!

I think the 30 year old transfer punch set I have cost 7 bucks back then. They have been used and abused and still function fine.

The HF punch set was the first to pop up in a search. You could probably modify them to make limited use punches. Good ones from say MSC will be hardened and will last forever.

I would never use anything from HF unless like said, as disposable or experimental.
Harbor freight has metal and plastic ammo cans. Observation is that the seals are garbage and I would not use for long term ammo or other storage items where I am concerned about moisture getting in. 

When they were on sale stupid cheap I bought some plastic ones for like 2 bucks each. I do not know the drop factor but would not trust it.
I did however get some for my daughter who puts her art supplies in them. One I may use to "pot" a high voltage power supply 

USGI would have a specification so all would be very similar semi tubular rivets. A decent hardware store may have them.

A correct rivet setting tool would have a anvil the shape of the head. I used a punch as an anvil as I did not care if it flattened the head. The "set" or "flair" tool would be shaped similar to the transfer punch. I know of two profiles for the set punch. One smooth to curl the opened end. The other has a hex pattern to it to split the rivet and fold the hollow parts in segments.
I bet there are many others as well.

If yo have a Michales or Joann fabrics you may find cheap hand set tools there, though they may be too big for a HG.
Online I bet there are hundreds of pictures online. Here is a set at MSC for $376

I have used a transfer punch on solid rivets. The thought being the the punch part would better stretch it for surface area. However this would compromise a rivet if it had a "load" to hold

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 2:22pm
I had already thought about pilfering thru my bride’s sewing room. She has some of those eyelet thingy tools. She may have something in there that would work, but I am not allowed in there without her....unless I catch her gone.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2019 at 8:52am
They do sell the correct punch for Hollow rivets. I bought one yrs ago but don't remember manuf. Try Hanson Rivet and Tool Co.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by shadycon shadycon wrote:

They do sell the correct punch for Hollow rivets. I bought one yrs ago but don't remember manuf. Try Hanson Rivet and Tool Co.

Looks like they may have what I need.

Thanx shady.
 Post Reply Post Reply