Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specdeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock ID
    Posted: Jun 26 2019 at 6:30pm
Hello. New guy here. Thanks for any help on this question. I have a M1 that has a serial # that dates it as a1942 Winchester. The weapon has many other traditional markings on the barrel,trigger components, etc...
The stock however has no traditional markings. It looks too new and nice to be of the same age as the rest of the gun. It does have marker writing on the inside of both pieces. I figure it is a retro fitted replacement. Opinions please. 

Admin Note: LINK REMOVED

Edited by Lupus Dei - Jun 27 2019 at 3:59pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2019 at 7:54pm
Hi and welcome to the Collector's forum from New Mexico!

The writing inside the stock and hand guard look like date codes (month,year). The deeper routing in the hand guard suggests the stock may have come from a commercial carbine having a square barrel cross section above the operating slide such as Iver Johnson or later Universal. A deeper recess in the hand guard was necessary to fit over the barrel. Often these makers used a thin metal hand guard. However I don't think it is a Universal hand guard as they did not have the operating slide cutout. Another possibility is a modified Boyd's stock to fit an IJ or Universal. However Boyd usually used an ink stamp to mark the date code, not marker. Also, Boyd stamped their name in the stock usually in the barrel channel. It might help to see more pictures of the stock showing a view from above, a profile and a closeup of the sling well. Does the stock have the M2 selector cutout in the left side?     
JackP
Specdeck View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specdeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2019 at 10:20pm
I’ll get some more pics up ASAP. It does not appear to have the M2 cut out. Maybe with more pics you all can help me figure this one out.  Thanks so far!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 5:55am
Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing a few more pics.
M1carvine4me View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1carvine4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 11:46am
The rivets on the hand guard look like aluminum pop rivets. Also this looks like oak rather then walnut. I would bet this is one if the new made stocks by DGR? They look nice and really dont need to worry about damage to a 70 + year old PC of wood.
Specdeck View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specdeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 3:39pm

Admin note: Links Removed
Specdeck View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Specdeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 4:40pm
I didn’t see an oak option on the DGR website. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 5:15pm
I believe this to be a commercial stock. One of the companies had the handguard with that inside cut.
It may be foreign made, but definitely not USGI.

The numbers are to keep the matched HG and stock together after finishing.

Edit to add:
It may be a stock made by Altamont which makes stocks for AO (Khar) and Inland

Look at the grain. Also note that the OP picture the left side rail on the stock "opens up" similar to the selector switch cut, but much longer. This is to accommodate a scope mount

Post Reply Post Reply