Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Op Rod Cuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Op Rod Cuts
    Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 8:50am
Over the past 40 years have amassed a collection of guns and spare wood.  Finally want to best assemble a few guns.  Have a 6125XXX Underwood.  Using a type III, P-U stock, and 2-rivet P-U hand guard have a 1/2" mismatch at front of operating rod cut.  Comparing rod cut to several other 2 & 4 rivet hand guards find all same.  Have type III, IV and V stocks with OI, W, TN, and SA manufacturer's markings. All closely match any hand guard.  Why would the P-U stock be different?

Also, confusing reading thru endless text on "correct" bolt for this vintage Underwood.  Is flat or round preferred?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 10:02am
Is it possible that your Type III, P-U stock is actually a Type II high wood cut down? Does it have thinner wood along the right side compared to your other stocks? Any rebuild marks on it?

I would go with a round bolt.
JackP
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 11:42am
Thanks again for sharing your bottomless knowledge base.  Yes, it has thinner wood and with 3-3/16" barrel channel as illustrated.  Guess it could be a modified type II?  Otherwise the stock is unmolested having sharp corners, no cracks, rebuild marks, and a faint, crossed cannon cartouche.

Would it be an unforgivable sin to use my Bridgeport to perfectly extend the op rod cut 1/2"?  Shame as I need an unmolested, high wood stock for another project.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 1:00pm
I won't tell.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 9:51pm
I have two stocks that have about a 1/2 inch difference between the stock and handguard at the front of the op slide cut. One is a J replacement stock the other is a M-U which was possibly a type II converted to type III. They are what they are, If your P-U stock was mine I'd leave it as it is.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 7:01am
Interesting dilemma.  Since the stock has already been cut down what does it hurt if it was trimmed?  Will the new cut present any issues with matching the finish?   

I've got a "misalignment" on one, maybe two of my carbines similar as others have stated.  I figure that's part of their history and I let them be.  
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 10:01am
I had already stripped the old finish with Formby's Refinisher.  Works fantastic!  Extended cut with and an end mill for a good match.  Will start applying four coats of raw linseed oil today.  Gun is no museum piece.  Import marked I paid $100 for at an estate sale.  Just want to add it to the collection as a more or less period correct example.
 Post Reply Post Reply