Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Type 1A Barrel Band?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Type 1A Barrel Band?
    Posted: May 18 2019 at 7:18pm
Dear Experts,
I purchased a type 1A band and fear that it is probably a reproduction. Being new to the hobby, I had incorrectly assumed from something that I had read that reproductions only had one weld spot, and, therefore; thought that since this one had three, that my purchase was safe. I have since learned that people are selling reproductions that look almost identical to originals; even with three weld spots. After receiving this band it looked too nice, especially the screw (incidentally, it came with some other original carbine parts, but no swivel), to be the real deal. Just wanted to see if any of the experts could conclude from my photos (best I could do) if indeed this is a fake. No markings on it. Thank you so much, and I understand if it is not something that can be determined from photos alone. Just thought that it could not hurt to ask.  
Bob

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 6:18am
If that is determined to be a repo, it is much better than the ones I have seen. The welds and thickness of the metal looks like it could be real. If it’s a fake...it is a good one.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 6:59am
I does look good, but the head of the band screw looks flat.  I think the band screw heads are supposed to have a unique curve to allow the use of the lower edge of a .30 caliber cartridge casing.

That does not mean the band its self is fake; it actually looks good to me.  It just means the screw is not original USGI.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 7:31am
Since the swivel is missing, could be the original screw went along with it. I have a known fake that has a screw with the proper head.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 7:33am
Good point Floyd!

Semper Fi, Bruce
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 9:07am
Does it fit? I got a repro. one early on and no way could I get it to fit! Put it in a box of junk.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 9:43am
I tried one for giggles once. The seller listed it as O marked. The O mark is the single spot-weld scar😂. They are very flimsy and will twist in the single weld, complete junk. The shroud that is suppose to engage the nose of the hand-guard is not even close to fitting. To me, the OP’s example looks to be correct and well-made. I have a screw and loop that would make it look almost correct enough if OP wants it for a small fee....a very small fee.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 12:56pm
Floyd brings up a good point about bending.
On test is to squeeze the band closed. If it does not strongly spring back  it is probably a repro
Novice View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 4:38pm
Dear Floydthecat, BER911, shadycon, and New2brass

Thank you so much for your input. Interestingly, my very first impression when examining the band was that the band looked good, but that the screw was not correct. Your insights have confirmed that might be the case. Took shadycon's suggestion and tried the fit. It fits onto the Underwood stock and handguard tightly, in fact, it helps to open the band slightly to get it on the stock. But then, I took New2brass's suggestion and tested the spring. After squeezing the band together it quickly returned to the open position, but maybe a 16th on an inch shy of it's previous spacing. It popped right back, but I do not know if I would describe it as strongly springing back with great force - more of a - it just goes right back, but not with great force. Therefore; I am convinced now that the screw is probably a repro, and am now a little skeptical on the band being original following the spring test. 

Floydthecat,
If I can come to the point where I am feeling comfortable about the band being original, I am of course, interested in your offer of a screw and loop, and will as a result send you a PM. 
Thank you all again!
Bob
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 6:00pm
[QUOTE Floydthecat,
If I can come to the point where I am feeling comfortable about the band being original, I am of course, interested in your offer of a screw and loop, and will as a result send you a PM. 
Thank you all again!
Bob [/QUOTE]

Done!
 Post Reply Post Reply