Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Round Bolt Lack of Markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Round Bolt Lack of Markings
    Posted: May 12 2019 at 9:25am
IBM Round Bolt from my 3.935xxx
Was surprised to find no visible markings on Right or Left Lugs. Has this been observed before?

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:17am
Some more right lug pics. Maybe something was there?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:28am
The first photo looks as though there was a stamp once. Maybe it was a B? It looks like they removed it.
wa***te View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wa***te Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:55am
Or maybe it was never stamped. 
Sometimes in manufacturing mistakes are made. I have a M1D rifle I bought from the CMP. The only marking on the rear of the receiver is the serial number. No US Rifle Cal 30 M1, etc. Not ground out, dimensions are normal. I also have a Garand bolt that came on a DCM M1 that doesn’t have a mark on it. This stuff just happens and I’m sure wartime quotas didn’t help any. DON’T FIX IT. It’s almost certainly as right as the rest of the Carbine.
Walt
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 10:56am
Second set of pictures you camera focused past the lug onto the bolt body. Suggest pulling the camera back farther to increase the depth of field.
Another way to bring out the markings is lighting from the side or at various angles as opposed to straight on. this sometimes creates shadows into the markings which makes them stand out.

As to your question of no markings. I have seen several where the markings were ever so slight that the eye did not pick up the markings. Only by playing with the lighting that the markings appeared.

What type of firing pin? you need to look at where the hammer strikes.

Normally we see the round bolt with the X on it in earlier serial number ranges. Could the finish of the lug have held it up till later?
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:27pm
Not much success I am afraid.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:34pm
One more.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:37pm
I have one bearing a lightly struck A only.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:42pm
Bolt in the rifle for good measure.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Floyd; could I see a picture of that bolt, if not too much trouble? Thank you
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Second set of pictures you camera focused past the lug onto the bolt body. Suggest pulling the camera back farther to increase the depth of field.
Another way to bring out the markings is lighting from the side or at various angles as opposed to straight on. this sometimes creates shadows into the markings which makes them stand out.

As to your question of no markings. I have seen several where the markings were ever so slight that the eye did not pick up the markings. Only by playing with the lighting that the markings appeared.

What type of firing pin? you need to look at where the hammer strikes.

Normally we see the round bolt with the X on it in earlier serial number ranges. Could the finish of the lug have held it up till later?

Sorry just saw the question about FP.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 1:40pm
Condition of the bolt and all parts look similar don't they?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Floyd; could I see a picture of that bolt, if not too much trouble? Thank you

It’s in a carbine at the moment. I will drag it out and post a pix later.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 2:47pm

Took the IBM & NPM out to enjoy what little sun we had yesterday.
In case anyone is interested in looking over my IBM, here is a Google photo album I threw together.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdwHyQ8dRxTx52iE9

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 3:56pm
That is a nice IBM.

Sometimes parts are not marked. I have a Standard Products with an original barrel assembly that's never been messed with, however the barrel is unmarked except for the Standard Products proof P. All characteristics point to an Underwood but it's unmarked.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 4:20pm
Us old people don't always lie on purpose....sometimes, we lie because brain cells are dead. I knew something was not struck, but it's the A that is "almost" missing. I have not looked in that carbine for a while now.Big smile

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 4:21pm
Sometimes the marks are easy to find, sometimes not. Sometimes the marks have been worn away, partially stamped or not stamped.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 4:49pm
Thank you for the picture Floyd, much appreciated. I have flipped this thing every which way but still not seeing anything defenitive. The bolt, just doesn't want to talk. Big smile
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 4:54pm
Thank you m1a1fan for the reply and pictures. It's the X-Files Bolt.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

That is a nice IBM.

Sometimes parts are not marked. I have a Standard Products with an original barrel assembly that's never been messed with, however the barrel is unmarked except for the Standard Products proof P. All characteristics point to an Underwood but it's unmarked.

Thank you; kind of partial to IBM's and happy to own this one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>