Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reflex sight on Universal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex sight on Universal
    Posted: May 04 2019 at 8:02pm
Hello: I have toyed with this idea for a while and built a mount to attach to the Weaver mount.
It has not been to the range yet, but peep sights and red dot match nicely. I wanted to have both my cake and eat it too. There is a nice tunnel under the mount and the iron sights are easy to see.
It's a Universal Gen 2 carbine that I installed the GI trigger housing on and that's why it has the potbelly stock. I'm liking it so far and thought I would share this.
I'm not sure how this is gonna fly. The pics might be to large. If so I will try again later.

Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 8:24pm
Looks pretty solid, interested in hearing how it works out on the range.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 8:38pm
Thanks, I plan on giving it a try Monday or Tuesday. I first had it mounted with a rail, but between the rail and the low mount rail adapter, it raised it 5/8" higher. It just did not look right.
Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 6:09pm
Went to the range and tested yesterday. Ran 60 plus rounds threw it and had zero problems per ejection, parts loosening up, etc.
No marks on the painted aluminum mounts at all.
It does kinda put the spoil on you for quick find and fire. Wish I had taken more ammo.
It brought another new game towards chasing the ball.
Just something I had to do and try out, and I really think it is a keeper for my Universal.
It was just sweet and fun to shoot.
Lightning 330
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 7:04am
Nice set up, looks like you've done a good job. I have a very late Gen 2 Universal that I have a Weaver mount and Weaver scope attached. Things I had to watch for was attaching bolts too long, and attaching bolts coming loose.

Question: What is the serial number of your Universal, I see some things that I have questions about. First, by the pictures you shared, I don't believe your gun is a 'Pot Belly' I don't believe Universal ever made a "Pot Belly". In your picture I can see the top of your bolt and it's a flat top, that's something else Universal never made, theirs were round. Finally, your gun has a wood upper hand guard, I don't know what year they switched, but it was very early on, to a black metal vented upper hand guard.

So I'm going to ask, are you sure this is a gen 2 rifle, because it sure looks like a gen 1, but then, the slide is gen 2, got my head spinning I guess this is some kind of new Universal mix master that I don't know about?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 7:59am
The gun has been modified by the owner.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 8:27am
I have a gen-1 (17xxx) that has been modified as well. Nothing on this carbine is Universal but the barrel and receiver. Everything else is USGI. It is one of my go-to shooters.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 10:04am
Shadycon is correct. I did several mods or changes. It is indeed a Gen 2 with serial # 1651xx
Only the slide, barrel and receiver are Universal. All else was changed out to USGI stuff, mostly Inland. I think the sear and hammer are Underwood. I used the flat bolt because I had a good one available and just figured the lighter bolt might have less impact on the slide problems these are known for.  I enjoy mine. The post war potbelly is a unknown, but it is heavier than most. Makes for a nicer recoil. I always liked shooting this carbine. Adding the red dot reflex and still keeping the original sights just made it even better.
Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 10:16am
I have brain cells dying every day, but I believe the Type V stocks were a Springfield post war replacement. Mine has a 96 stamped in the heel, probably indicating it saw service somewhere. Good solid strong stock that I think I paid $35 for it shipped. My carbine had a few GI parts in it when I bought it, but I replaced the cast trigger and the trigger housing...everything else was GI. Bolt and internals were Underwood Type 3.

I have found Universals to be useless when trying to fit a bayonet. The sight placement is not far enough back from the muzzle to allow snapping it onto the lug. A Type III barrel band on any Universal I ever handled was for looks only.
 Post Reply Post Reply