Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1a1 Wood, Alternative Type?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1a1 Wood, Alternative Type?
    Posted: Apr 29 2019 at 7:25pm
Ok all you woodworking experts. We know that Walnut was the approved wood for the M1 carbine, yet we saw some other species of wood that were OKed for use such as Cherry and Birch.

Over the years the club has seen some lighter color wood on the M1a1 stocks, yet we have never seen anything mentioned as an alternative.

For years a member has been trying to identify this wood species and would love to here the members thoughts.

Some pictures have a color cast to them due to the lighting. I tried to adjust them best I could. The color is described as  more of a blonde, not as dark as typical walnut. 

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2019 at 8:37pm
I reached out to the all knowing wood folks at hobbithouseinc.com when I was trying to identify the wood type on Brigadier General William Earl Chambers presentation MI carbine. The key was to send them a very clear close up photo(s) of the end grain on the wood. Off came the butt plate and away a close up photo went similar to the one shown. Three hours later I got the answer that I've been seeking for a nearly a year and a half. In my case they quickly identified the wood as Narra.
The Narra tree is the national tree of the Philippines.
Check out Hobbithouseinc.com and email them and send photos to:
woodpics@hobbithouseinc.com

Dave
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2019 at 9:58am
I'm inclined to agree with Dave. Having lived in Manila PI for 3 years and bringing many wood products back, that stock color and grain very closely resembles some Narra wood items I have around the house.
That is not the first Carbine stock I'v seen. Next to Italia, the Philippines have some of the finest wood carvers in the world. Hope this helps. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 9:30pm
the problem with a m1a1 stock is there is minimal endgrain at the rear. It is also sanded which can be problematic.

These pictures are also old. I will have to reach out to see if more pictures can be obtained.

Any one else have input?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 10:14pm
It's PARAWOOD !  Wink That's a real wood, but just a joke.

To me the Hand guard and pistol grip having the same grain lines look to be Eastern Black Walnut.

The stock appears to have had some grain checks repaired, epoxied or maybe glued.
The top side of the barrel channel above where the barrel band leg inserts looks as though a type of epoxy filler or wood filler was used. These type of repairs can cause problems by rejecting stain color.
Same color rejection will happen over any glued grain checks or splits.
So it appears a number of attempts were made to blend or feather in different types of 'Stains'.
Possibly a Dye or Alcohol based stain along with a Gel type and or penetrating stain.
Color looks Blotchy, possibly from also trying to apply a RLO over the 'Stain' before it was fully dried.
Or by trying to tint the RLO with color when wiping the sides, thus pulling off any freshly applied color and causing uneven penetration.
Any of the above attempts to blend the colors would explain how the sides of the stock have a Doctored look.

The Hand Guard, Pistol grip, Underside and inside of the stock took stain evenly.

Stock appears to be Birch. Having the typical grain lines, but having that lighter pale yellow base over much of it before being 'Colored'.

Hand Guard and Pistol Grip = East Black Walnut
Stock = Birch, Natural color.... Pale Yellow/Amber.

JMO,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 8:44am
I gambled on an auction piece for a low price (and assumed the onsite bidders had a reason for not bidding), plus it had the typical non-revealing pics provided that only showed a correct hinge plate, something unknown could be seen stamped on the bottom of the grip and the side cut looked correct. However, the wood looked the wrong species, there were no images or notes of the butt plate and no internal pics. but it worked out to the good.

I'm assuming this is Birch.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 1:54pm
Gambled !

I may have seen you there...

Looks like Birch to me also Ten.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2019 at 7:17am
I bet so, Charlie.
 Post Reply Post Reply