FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Question
    Posted: Apr 25 2019 at 10:44am
It's interesting that the grain is raised so much yet the "RSG" mark is still so clear. I would have expected it to be obliterated after either being pressure washed or steam cleaned or boiled.
JackP
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2019 at 10:31am
I think Dan's comment about the stock being steam cleaned is spot on.  It would take very hot water under pressure to raise the grain such as that in the sling well.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 12:15pm
Sorry about the picture sizes.  I'm in the middle of a learning curve on posting these.  I can make them bigger in the future.  Thanks again!
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 10:10am
Looks like an Irwin made stock to me that's maybe had a hard life.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 10:06am
Pics look good now.

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

To me it looks like someone either pressure washed or steam cleaned the finish off the stock. this would cause the grain to rise and may account for the white spots and mold. If rejected and then recovered it would have a finish applied.

Think that's what has been done to it. It looks boiled.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 9:30am

George, what device are you using to upload the pictures? are you editing the pictures with the post box?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 9:16am
Ah, ok.

Discovered another method too; right click on the image, select VIEW IMAGE and when it opens hold control down and scroll in with your mouse wheel.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Not sure if the pics are small for everyone else, and non-expandable, but they are for me.

I was able to save the pic and then open with paint to get full sized pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 8:59am
Not sure if the pics are small for everyone else, and non-expandable, but they are for me.

The stock looks ok to me from the limited size seen, though I'm not as educated on them as some.
GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2019 at 8:19am
Here's a side view of the front end.  Photo isn't too good - hope it shows what you wanted to see.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by GeorgeG GeorgeG wrote:

Glad too. Are we talking about the front end where the band goes?

Yes, Please. Thanks
GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 9:12pm
Glad too. Are we talking about the front end where the band goes?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 6:41pm
GeorgeG, I hate to ask for another picture, but can you do one that shows the chin of the stock from a side profile? Get close, but not real close if that makes sense.
GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 5:54pm
I took a few more photos that may help answer your questions.  The butt plate close-up shows the color and diagonal sanding.  I've cleaned a few stocks aggressively in the past and it seems to fade them to near blond, which isn't the case here.  You're right though, the grain is raised a little.  The recoil plate is a shade darker than the butt plate - not sure if that's normal or not?  On the numbering, the photo above is the best one I've got.  They're very faint with the last three appearing to be "323".  There's at least one added number in front, but only the very top is visible.  Appreciate the comments so far.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 4:19pm
Can you post a picture of the numbers in the channel?

To me it looks like someone either pressure washed or steam cleaned the finish off the stock. this would cause the grain to rise and may account for the white spots and mold. If rejected and then recovered it would have a finish applied.

The sanding diagonal across the grain has been observed on original stocks. I cannot make out the grain or finish as there is not enough detail to your picture.

Try loosening your recoil plate is you have to push too much to get the action to bed.

I cannot tell from the lighting, does the finish on the butt plate and the recoil plate match?

@ Charlie, Love that wrist repair! Good stuff as always Wink
GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2019 at 8:31am
Very interesting comments regarding rejected stocks.  The sanding seems to have been done with a belt sander like in your photo, with marks about 35 degrees to the grain.  The only defect I can find, other than the internal crudeness, is in the butt plate screw hole.  It's not quite perpendicular as it should be.  I should add that I tried installing one of my Inland carbines into the stock.  It fit very well, with no lateral movement and required slight downward pressure on the end of the barrel to get it to seat into the recoil plate.  Perhaps it was rejected initially, and then recovered later for use as a spare??
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 10:58pm
Point being the Irwin Factory repaired stocks during construction. Walnut was limited, repairs were required. They wouldn't go to these lengths then let a stock like the one posted here try to pass inspection.

Interior knot hole:

Repair:

Recoil plate inlet Chip, Repaired:

Pistol grip repaired

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by GeorgeG GeorgeG wrote:

What really sold me was the numbers in the channel.

On all of the Irwin made stocks I've seen the numbers in the channel are a green color ink stamp.
Inland stocks made by SE Overton had a similar ink stamp thought to be a Julian type dating system, but different color purple/green.
The Irwins were nearly neighbors of the Overtons, but the green number ink stamps found in Irwin stocks we believe stood for the Shift and Work Station location.
Your stock does appear to have that Coke bottle profile at the front nose but doesn't stand out as proudly as a un sanded stock. You can see your stock has been sanded pretty heavily.. note the Butt plate hang over. Early on Irwin stocks had a tight fit around the Recoil plate, like yours. Later on you'll find RSG and replacement IR stocks with more clearance back away from the plate to limit the cracking in this area, having more of a U shape.
At first I was giving thought to your stock having been sanded to much and was rejected.
That would explain why the Op slide channel and slingwell weren't finished being detailed sanded.
But doesn't explain why it would have the RSG stamped in the slingwell.
It also doesn't explain the larger diameter more aggressive router bit used to clear the stocks Op slide channel.

RSG green ink stamps (S'G')'s

If your stock was over sanded past specs and tossed, it may have been taken and years later someone stamped the RSG. I can't answer more than that. I strongly believe that stock didn't leave with the internals not finish sanded and fit to a carbine. The Irwins were furniture makers and known for their use of Dutchman patches to salvage stocks.

Belt sanding Irwin stocks:

Robert Irwin worker test fits action in stock

GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 10:04pm
I must be getting old. I had the butt plate off but can't remember if it had one hole. It did have what looked like a circle about 1/4 inch in diameter. I'll have a look and post another photo if you'd like.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 9:05pm
Is there just the one hole for the Butt plate screw under the Plate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>