The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reloading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloading
    Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 10:21pm
Hi , newby with another question. I am an experienced reloader, however not with carbine. Are there any go substitutes for 2400 pushing a 110g fmj.  thanks. 
THE oldfart69
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 8:36am
H110 has served me well. You can go to the powder manufactures websites and find load-data. 14.5 grains produces 1950 to 2000 on my chrono.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 8:39am
I load 16.5 grains of H110 under a 86-grain Hornady Mauser bullet that nets 2300 fps.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

H110 has served me well. You can go to the powder manufactures websites and find load-data. 14.5 grains produces 1950 to 2000 on my chrono.

Hi, thanks for the answer, question on case capacity: I chose Imr 4227, I am using 13.7g, but the case is looking pretty full (I have followed the IMR load suggestions to the letter), with H110, how full do yours look? thanks in advance. 
THE oldfart69
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 5:15pm
I can’t speak to the density (VMD) of powders other than H110 or 2400. I have never had any concerns over compressed loads using these up to 14.5-grains with 110-grain bullets seated to published data. I know other members on here have used other propellents and may chime in. My first thoughts would be that if you charge the case with a manufacturers published load data and seat the projectile to the recomended depth (OAL).....you should be fine.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 6:35pm
I have used H110, IMR4227, and Winchester 296. I have stuck to the load data that is published and never have had any over pressure issues and the rifle function was good. I agree with floydthecat that OAL should not be blow minimum stated in the reloading data.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

I have used H110, IMR4227, and Winchester 296. I have stuck to the load data that is published and never have had any over pressure issues and the rifle function was good. I agree with floydthecat that OAL should not be blow minimum stated in the reloading data.

I shade to the side of Lee or Lyman manual recommendations and never shorter than minimum (assuming my starratt is on point)
THE oldfart69
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 8:08pm
I load 14.1 grains of Win 296 with a 110 grain round nose for my M1 Carbine. Been using the same load for 35 years now...

David Albert
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 8:56pm
As with all reloading advice start your load 3 or 4 grains down. I use 15 grains of Lil Gun with small rifle magnum primers. 2045 FPS with 110 gr Hornady soft points, Quality Hardware and an Inland, both shoot about 3.5" at 100 yards. I tested the loads under extreme cold by placing rounds in a quick freeze walk in freezer and keeping the in cooler with dry ice, shooting at -10 F. Velocity was down a bit at 2010 but completely functional for 200 rounds each rifle. 
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2019 at 9:45am
I wanted to expand a bit on the process for my load development. I had some military surplus ammo and it clocked at an extreme wide range, as low as 1800 FPS and as high as 1900 FPS. The rifles I have rapidly became dysfunctional in Eastern U.S. winter conditions.

I set out to remedy that and came up with the load previously posted, the load produces a viable cold weather solution and shows no pressure issues when tested at 96 degrees F. The magnum primers are a must for proper cold weather ignition.

I went with Lil Gun rather than H 110 because after testing I achieved near identical velocities, better groups with Lil Gun and the rifles felt cooler after a string of 10 rounds. Hodges data showed a significant reduction in pressure for Lil Gun compared to H 110, probably why my rifles felt cooler with Lil Gun.
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2019 at 10:00am
Caveats for cold weather operation. If the rifle has been in storage, degrease it, do no oil it. With outside operation keep the rifle under a parka until needed. If fired, let the rifle cool and wiped slide area down with a cloth when you get a break. On return to indoor conditions let it warm up, clean bore dry patch and wipe it down with an extremely lightly oiled rag. Degrease and reassemble before returning outdoors.

I started developing this load with H 110 which is a viable cold weather 30 Carbine powder and switched when Lil Gun came on the market maybe 18 years ago.

I have never had a misfire or any failure to cycle in any weather conditions with over 2,000 rounds fired. The 60 + years of powder and primer development have made my favorite rifle state of the art again. 
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply