Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SW Magazines NOT Winchester Spotters Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SW Magazines NOT Winchester Spotters Report
    Posted: Apr 05 2019 at 6:59pm
2019-K
SW Magazines Not Winchester Contract

Long time member, contributor, researcher Bill Ricca, who's business was military surplus, for years across forums repeatedly stated that the SW magazine is a Stanley Works contract magazine directly to the government. 

I believe he even had he had stated it on one of his web pages.

At times it seems to have fallen on deaf ears to those looking to make a quick buck by calling the magazine "For Winchester"

Let's hope that this will clear things up!

New In Wrap SW Magazine

The Box it came out of

As always we ask our member to make spotters reports of items we have not reported on or those we can follow up one. If you are unsure report it to us anyway.
Better to look at the repeat information than miss it!

EDIT TO ADD:
When a prime contractor has an item subcontracted the contract is between the prime and the sub, ordnance has nothing to do with the contract and therefor not reported in ordnance contracts.

We have copies of ordnance contracts in excess of $50,000.
Below is a clipped version of the Stanley Works contracts direct with ordnance.
There are only two contracts for carbine parts listed.
The first is obviously the magazines as pictured above as the contract number on the box matches the contract below.
The last line is unclear what that contract was for, but is probably anther contract for magazines. There are 3 reported SW magazines
sw type two base
sw type five base
SW type five base.

The large SW marking is most likely the last carbine assembly contract

Please report any any cases if you see them.

Edited by New2brass - Jan 11 2022 at 3:37pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 10:37am
Well, there goes another correction in my copy of Riesch's 7th edition!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 4:09pm
Unfortunately, the SW is credited to Winchester in many places. The Robert Luke's pages also mentions this and his information came from the club (in part). So going forward we may be able to correct this error.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 5:48am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

And 8th.  Correction made in both.  I did notice in the 8th he expanded the section on mags to include the 5 base types.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 9:49am
Difficult to see the markings but hears another post war Stanley product.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

SW magazines are listed on the Winchester table in WBIII as well. 

Charles - Under Stanley the screw driver may have North BrosPhiladelphia.  Stanley bought North Brothers in 1946.  
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2021 at 6:06pm
Technically, they were for Winchester. But also for IBM, Inland, Underwood, etc.... *LOL*

But they weren't made specifically just for Winchester.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2022 at 10:24pm
I just noticed the crossed cannon Ordnance stamp on the box.
Have those been observed on other magazine cartons? 
Was there an inspector at Stanley, and Keeler, and Owen, etc etc ?
Or could this have been shipped to a prime and forwarded as part of their obligation?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2022 at 10:52pm
Matt, yes, the CC ordnance acceptance stamp has been observed on other magazine boxes, not exactly sure when they were applied.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Or could this have been shipped to a prime and forwarded as part of their obligation?

No prime manufacturer made magazines.
Any of the individual wrapped magazines that had nomenclature on the package that have the prime contractors name on it but no subcontractors name.

It also seems that any magazine in the wrap parked Irwin Pedersen is actually a S'G' sub contract magazine.

I cannot speak for every case, but those I have seen from a prime contractor had the prime contractors name on the box.

Those that were "spares" contracts. Had the contractors name that made them on the box.

As to further proof the SW magazines are Stanley "Spares" see the first post where the contract is posted.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2022 at 4:44pm
I guess that means the cartouche represents some sort acceptance or approval either leaving the manufacturer or arriving in the hands of the US military.  Maybe even just as a sorting mark to keep accounting straight within a warehouse? 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 6:53am
I'm proud to say I took note of the OP and had made updates in my Riesch books and mag collection.  Sad to say I don't remember doing it. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 10:20am
Matt, We know ordnance inspectors were at the prime contractors plants and stamping stocks.
The CC meant it was now government property. Steel from the government.........

Over half of the magazine manufacturers were in Connecticut, which was a major manufacturing area for ordnance. Several of those manufacturers were the largest producers of magazines.

Connecticut fell under the Springfield Ordnance district. I have found a little information that at some point during the war there was also a Hartford (CT) ordnance district. I suspect that if there were not ordnance inspectors on site that they would send an inspector to the factory on shipping days.

A little more on Stanley Works carbine parts.
They made butt plates for I.B.M. as well as magazines for them marked SY-B

Mags for Inland SY-I

Then there are mags for Rock-ola marked SY-B-R. These were possibly transfers, or RO needed mags and Stanley works added the R and sent them off.

If Stanley Works made mags for Winchester I would think they would have been marked SY-W

IBM being the last company to to start producing carbines it seems to make sense they reached out to a company that was already tooled up for carbine magazines.
 Post Reply Post Reply