The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MY IBM M1 CARBINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 1:09pm
If money matters then you should just study what has already been posted here and other sites because you were informed out of grace and if you had accepted the info gracefully there would be more help. But nobody is here to offer a sugar high. Maybe you should consider what you have offered the scenario?
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 1:23pm
again, your not answering my questions! how do you know the sight is a fake?
mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by mikeurbas mikeurbas wrote:

again, your not answering my questions! how do you know the sight is a fake?

You aren't going to find out.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 1:41pm
Can we forget the Repro Rear sight and possible Import Markings for a minute....
While I ask:
Any thoughts as to who made the stock?
The slingwell is sanded so smooth it's washed away any other markings.

CH-P777

Edit: To Add... JL looks like a possibility.

Sorry to delay, Carry On !
Living Free because of those that serve.....
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 2:01pm
Looks like an IBM cross cannon and its in the usual spot for IBM. Looks like it may be beech . I could be wrong on the wood type. Who made beech stocks for IBM.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 2:03pm
The possible import mark is almost inconsequential compared to the reproduction sight, if that's what it is. Mike, new and most importantly CLEAR pictures are needed to solve this issue. Lots and maybe all of guys on this site have made mistakes or been outright scammed, it's the nature of the carbine hobby. Also, the problem with taking it to a show is you might ask a person who sells fake carbines. What do think he's going to tell you about it? The bottom line is that people on this are here to help you. I hope it works out for you.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 2:40pm
i was hoping someone would be nice enough to explain what to look for on my sight to tell if its a repro or not.  as far as the stock goes, i think its walnut and my old camera is making it look lighter than it really is. thats why i cant post better pictures. also, i was hoping someone at the ohio gun collectors assoc. would be honest enough to give me some right answers.
mike
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 2:43pm
Chipins
The OP's stock is Walnut, just happens to have some tiger stripping on the right side.
Birch (not beech) was used by Sprague & Carlton (sp?) for some IBM stocks.

Birch stocks will most often show a 'White Ring' around the pistol grip/wrist area.

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 2:46pm
Sprague and Carlton made birch stocks for IBM. They would be marked "SC-B".   The OP's stock looks like walnut, with a nice tiger stripe character, marked "JL-B" made by Jamestown Lounge Co. The tops of the "J" and "L" are barely visible. The sling well looks like it's been heavily sanded so it's hard to see the marking. I do not know of anyone who made wartime beech wood stocks. I cannot tell about the CC from the out of focus image. Also, it's position on the stock is unknown from the pictures posted.

JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 3:23pm
Even though sanded and refinished it is a really nice looking stock.
Has anyone heard or seen the Hand guard marking ?

CH-P777
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 3:33pm
hand guard is marked LW-B very faintly.
mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 3:50pm

my sight is not a repro !

i just looked at the import marks shown on the carbine site, and my carbine does not have those marks !

how do you know its a reproduction sight ? if its the markings, according to larry ruth it is marked correctly for an ibm.

Mike, In a nutshell, 
You mention War Baby several times.
Please look at the forward in War baby 1, 2, 3. All of them acknowledge the Carbine Club. Larry is a long time club member and contributor.
 In 2016 the Carbine club stopped producing a newsletter and went online. They are now called the Carbine Collectors Club and you can find their website at 
www.CarbineClub.com which is also
www.uscarbinecal30.com
and they even have a forum for asking questions www.UScarbineCal30.com/Forum

a little history of the club http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Carbine_Club.html

I am sure many of the members there are quite knowledgeable and can answer all of your questions. Be sure to provide some pictures and listen to what they are saying, even if you need to back up and re-read all of the posts.

You state that your rear sight is not a repro, posts were provided saying it was not. If you know for sure it is not a reproduction, I have to ask your motivation for questions about it. 
The reason you will not get a direct answer as to what is incorrect is that there is a possibility that those making reproduced rear sights will make a better reproduction. What happens when nobody can tell the difference? I know it is not the answer you want to hear, but it is the best you will get.

Re: Larry's book and you stating it has the correct marking for IBM. The makings may have the same letters, but that does not make them "Correct".  

Now you mention no import marks which in the absence of better pictures we would have to capitulate and take your word there are no markings there. I know first hand that lighting and reflections sometimes make apparitions in pictures.  

Someone asked for pictures of the rear dovetail. A picture will provide clues as to if the carbine originally wore a flip sight or an adjustable sight. It would not be the first time someone took a correct adjustable sight off a carbine by erroneously thinking all wartime produce carbines must have a flip sight.

I missed where you said what you paid, but you have posted all over the place. This is another reason why you should keep them together.
If you do not mind me asking, where did you buy the carbine? If online can you provide the seller?

Your carbine appears very nice, almost too nice. That is most likely why it is getting slightly higher scrutiny. 
Is your goal here to learn what you want to be true or what is correct?

Old camera or new, taking pictures can be difficult. I said it before and I will say it again, take with natural lighting. Do not try to take close-ups. If your camera allows higher resolution please bump it up. If you cannot resize to post then sent them to me and I will crop them.

Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 4:28pm
Looks like you have a JL-B Birch stock that has been sanded and oiled . It is unfortunate but your rear sight is reproduction . The people who are telling you this have years of experience collecting and comparing and learning about how to tell the difference between a USGI carbine part and a fake one . You will find the real hard core carbine guru's right here trying to help you with your carbine.
My advice to you is if your not sure of the authenticity of a carbine or a part your thinking about buying bring your concerns here and you will be directed in the right direction .   
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 5:09pm
Op's stock is what is often called American Walnut.
It is Eastern Black Walnut.
Jamestown didn't make Birch stocks. MIS INFORMATION, SEE REPLY BELOW.

From this Link posted by Newscotlander, I've pulled a picture of a AO-IBM in a S&C B Birch Stock.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ibm-ao-3906262_topic2777_page1.html

S&C Birch Stock, LW-B Walnut Hand Guard:

HTH,

CH-P777
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 5:14pm

i was hoping someone would be nice enough to explain what to look for on my sight to tell if its a repro or not.

People have been overly nice. Using exclamation marks to shout that your sight isn't reproduction after you even confirmed that it's identical to the reproduction W-B sight posted isn't enough info for you? Using them to shout that someone isn't answering your questions...

deldriver and I saw a bunch of the Carbines at Louisville from a former Ohio Gun Collector's collection and a bunch had reproduction rear sights and humped something or another. That display had  a couple scores of Carbines.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Op's stock is what is often called American Walnut.
It is Eastern Black Walnut.
Jamestown didn't make Birch stocks.

From this Link posted by Newscotlander, I've pulled a picture of a AO-IBM in a S&C B Birch Stock.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ibm-ao-3906262_topic2777_page1.html

S&C Birch Stock, LW-B Walnut Hand Guard:

HTH,

CH-P777

Not going to comment or whether the OP's stock is walnut or birch, but Jamestown Longue absolutely used birch. I know because I have on in my stock hoard.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 6:28pm
Hang On,
I found a JL-B Birch stock here.....
Also have S&C B Birch along with notes on Milton Bradley for IBM Birch.
So I've started an Off Topic Mess.
I know better.... too many irons in the fire.
Maybe confused with the other J...... Jewell.
Or just confused.

Why Carbines,
I Appreciate you calling out my Error (s).
Now wondering if I didn't come across a TN Birch some years back ??

A Good Weekend to You,

Charlie-Painter777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 6:56pm
JL produced stocks in Walnut, Birch, and Cherry according to "M1 Carbine A revolution in Gun Stocking"
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 7:24pm
Would like to see a cherry stock by them. Have seen some RMC stocks that were said to be cherry that both did and didn't look like it. Either way, they were some of the nicest looking carbines stocks I've ever seen.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 8:15pm
Thx Dan !

Before I pulled us off course..

I was going to suggest to the OP:
STUDY- FLIP SIGHTS, STAKING ON THE RECEIVER DOVETAILS, SIGHT PIN STAKING.... 
Look over THE MILLING STYLES AND TOOLING MARKS ON FLIP SIGHTS.
Learn to recognize the tooling marks that were done in the 1940's.
After learning the old Milling styles then study the difference you'll see in the shape and Font of the letters.
Compare sights being offered as New Reproduction to Known Originals.
Your looking for parts that have knocked around for 75+ years showing the wear and patina from those years.
Learn how all the types of rear sights were staked in place. Quite often late style sights have been removed and their stake/punch marks have been filled in and colored over so a earlier Flip style sight can be put back on to look more original.
More to it than if the part is real or not.
Do your homework and after you've compared those Features, then ask for opinions.
It may be a Real Original Flip Sight, but sitting on a Receiver that shows clear signs of having once had a later Adjustable style sight on it.

Look over these 2 Examples:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>