The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MY IBM M1 CARBINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:47pm
The picture I posted is an IBM rear sight. A reproductuion IBM rear sight.

I've seen all of the other USGI IBM flip rear sight markings, but so far, none marked W-B. Hope to find a USGI one some day.

Also, I've read late IBM's could have an adjustable rear sight and be correct.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:55pm
Some nefarious sellers used to state on GB that the parts on their creations are all IBM parts or Rockola or what ever make of the Carbine is, an obvious lie and fraud. Now he, or they, state that the parts are marked IN-B, GE-Q, BR, ect. instead of outright lying that it's an actual USGI part.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Is this a Sam Tal madge Carbine?

My first thought when I saw the OPs pics, that looks like a Sam-T carbine.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 10:53pm
what is a sam-t carbine? what reason would i have to lie? i am not trying to sell my carbine.

if you look on page 477 of war baby by larry l. ruth, rear sight type A markings/identification : 'w-b'on right side, 's' on left side of sight body; leaf unmarked. quantity/sn range: in mixed use.
mike
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 12:53am
I don't believe anyone is suggesting that you are trying to lie. 

The questions you have asked, seem to suggest you are interested in having the members provide some details about particular features of your carbine.

There is an incredible amount of experience and knowledge here.  Ask your questions, share your pictures and learn a lot. 

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 5:36am
Sam-T-Bob sells many carbines on gunbroker, all put together with parts, many fake and he sells them all as originals, making a fortune. The most often fake rear IBM sights are marked IN-B and can be purchased from Numrich (they only advertise repro sight, not markings but it is so marked when you get it). People sell these on ebay all day for $60 and up. So IBM sights are often suspect. Newer repro sights are also coming out of Europe now with other markings for different makers. Here are 2 examples of fakes being sold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-First-Issue-L-Type-Rear-Sight/223438353917?hash=item3405f6b5fd:g:OYkAAOSw-eJb02RF   ;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/boUS-GI-M1-Carbine-Rear-Flip-Sight-Marked-S-and-W-B-for-IBM/123673167041?hash=item1ccb7ec4c1:g:LIwAAOSw~BRcLJEB
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 7:34am
Looks like there might be an import mark on the right rear receiver rail. Most of the rear receiver rail pictures, it is hard to see, but one shows some kind of partial marking. I could be wrong, but perhaps the marking is New Helvetia Mercantile Corporation of Sacramento, CA?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 8:34am
Does look like a possible import mark and similar to NHM CO SAC CA example. Good eye m1a1fan!

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 8:59am
Yes, good eye. That marking is one of the least disturbing of all import marks. At least it wasn't on a barrel and it isn't intrusive to the eye. Were most of those Israeli returns?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 9:14am
Yes. That is the area. Thanks for creating a focused version of it.

Full disclosure. I did not notice that mark. Another brought it my attention.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 9:44am
I have a ratty IBM with import mark under the barrel, a type one barrel band and the original flip sight still in place. I can't remember the importer, but it clearly escaped a complete rebuild.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:19am
it is obvious those 2 are fakes. the lettering is to large and to deep. plus, they look like there cast. mine does not look like either of those.

are you saying my carbine is looking like an import? were is this coming  from?
mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:24am
It's still a reproduction. It's called a 'high quality' reproduction. They termed it high quality because it's the closest to USGI and sells for around 150 bucks.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:31am
Here's a blurb from one of the most prolific sellers:

'M1 CARBINE FLIP SIGHTS

We got these from an old timer that owned a gun shop back in the 60's. Quantities are very limited order now!'

But the supply has never dried up in all the years I've been doing this and every one of them is in perfectly new condition. This is probably the source of yours.

The old time must've bought a CNC machine and started producing them.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:37am
@mike, please try to post some better pictures of your carbine, rear sight both sides and top view, the stock cartouche and that mark on the right rear of your receiver that ncin1911 has circled above. Keep in mind that no one is bashing you or calling you a liar you asked questions and are getting some opinions and answers from some very knowledgeable collectors. This is a learning experience for many on this site.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 10:42am
Ditto that. The metal finish is appealing. If it were mine I'd be happy with it's appearance which could be made better with a few changes.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 11:23am
that does not look like any kind of import mark to me !

my sight is not a repro !

i just looked at the import marks shown on the carbine site, and my carbine does not have those marks !

how do you know its a reproduction sight ? if its the markings, according to larry ruth it is marked correctly for an ibm.

mike
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 12:26pm
Just because its marked doesnt mean its not a repro. The repros are also marked . Unfortunately from what I have seen the last several years the IBM flip sights are the most common repros. Someone is making a ton of IN-B and FOB repro sights. They have been all over the place. With the pics I have seen of yours it is questionable . Better pics would determine it . Quite a few guys on here know parts like the back of their hand, the guys discussing your sight are pretty good .
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 12:48pm
mike I wouldn't feel so upset about being taken on the Carbine. This isn't an easy thing to do. Just keep studying and you'll get it. But if you don't study first, the next one you get will have similar problems. Just eat it and take the education. It'll be ok. It's only money.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 12:57pm
i am going to take it to the next OGCA show to have it looked at. no one is explaining how they know it is a fake, or what i should look for, just that its a fake? why do you say its a fake? p.s., i'm not rich and money does matter!
mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>