The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MY IBM M1 CARBINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY IBM M1 CARBINE
    Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 1:42pm

mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 3:21pm
I like the overall color of the metal finish. The rear sight looks pretty suspect though on my fuzzy monitor.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 3:52pm
I agree with the rear sight being a possible reproduction...clearer pictures would help. The wood almost looks brand new from some angles. Overall, it's an IBM that has a very nice appearance to it.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 5:59pm
rear sight does not have any casting lines.

why does the rear sight look like a repro?

the wood is not brand new, and has the correct cartouches, plus a repair near the butt plate. i was told by the seller that his friend, the previous owner, had gone over the stock with linseed oil.

the rear sight does not look like a repro up close, plus it has the correct markings. the only thing that is suspect is the flat bolt, although it is marked aob.
mike
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 6:10pm
the rear sight does not look like a repro up close, plus it has the correct markings. the only thing that is suspect is the flat bolt, although it is marked aob.

Admin note:
4 posts in 11 minutes, This is double posting. Please try the edit button to modify the previous post if you wish to add a thought.
To get to edit button click the "Post options" just above your post to the right.

Please keep posts about the same carbine within one post if still on topic.

I combined several of your separate posts. This makes it easier for members looking for you post to help you with a reply.

Thank you,
Louis Dey
Admin
mike
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 6:49pm

mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 6:53pm
So you're discounting what two somewhat experienced people have said?
The answer is always the same when asked why some of these parts are repop. We just advise if they appear USGI or not.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 6:59pm
i have looked at other pictures of rear sights on this forum, and my sight looks exactly the same. and who's to say just because i'm new to this forum, i don't know an authentic sight when i see one. plus, my camera does not allow me to take good closeups of smaller parts. 
mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 6:59pm
Thank you. Even with the poor definition of the sight in the pics I'm pretty sure the sight is a reproduction.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:02pm
Here's a clear photo of an IBM rear sight. Does yours look like this?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:04pm
That's a good, clear pic.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:13pm
yes it does. it also fits tightly in the dovetail, wich i found out is one way to tell if its a repro or not. it is marked s on the left side and wb on the right with small crisp lettering.

next, your going to tell me the stock looks like a repro!
mike
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:33pm
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:51pm
my sight has those same curved machining marks ( horizontally on each side.
mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:52pm
Mike. Dont try to take closeups. Pull back so the camera can focus. Take higher quality if you have the option.
From there you can crop the picture. If you need help let me know

Your eye and the camera adjust differently for low light. The camera likes more light.

Take pictures near a window during the day or even outside, not in direct sun.
You will be amazed
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:55pm
You probably want to post better pics of the cartouche on the stock. Is this a Sam Tal madge Carbine?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 7:59pm
Without clear pictures, it hard to say much of anything. The only thing I can say for sure is that picture I posted is a reproduction rear sight. I'm sure one just like it could be found by carefully searching a few places that sell carbine parts.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:03pm
??? IBM !!
mike
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:05pm
you said that the picture you posted was an IBM sight. make up your mind !
mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2019 at 8:46pm
Mike, can you take picture of the dovetail area from the top?
Look at your receiver to the rear of slide channel. Are there markings there?

Also you are double posting. Try to put all your thoughts in one post or edit the previous post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>