Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Late Winchester questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Winchester questions
    Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 10:19am

I ran across this late Winchester the other day and many of you may have already seen it.  Serial is 6504719, making it a very early Feb. ’45 stamped receiver.  I’m in the learning phase here and was wondering what the consensus is on originality of this Carbine.  I will try to upload photos and description from the add.  I understand from what I’ve searched through back threads on the subject of type C bands that AI marked bands are probably correct in this time frame.  My main questions would be:

1. Seller indicates that the type B operating slide is Underwood.  Ruth/Riesch makes no mention of Underwood using that slide or slide being supplied to Winchester after Underwoods contract was terminated.  I wonder if the slide is marked WU, for Universal Winding Co. in Cranston, which did make slides for Underwood.  Is there any known type B slides marked WU being used by Winchester?  Or are there any known type B slides marked U used by Winchester?
  2. The rotary safety on this Carbine is marked E.I., a part made for Inland?  War Baby I indicates on pg.310 whereas rotary safety being adopted on 15 March ’45, and subsequently for replacements for all Carbines in use.  This looks as if it falls into the latter category of a replacement part?  Were rotary safeties even being supplied this early in ’45 to Winchester/Inland as I understand the first M2’s were shipped by Winchester in June ’45?
  3. Stock.  Again with first reported M2’s being shipped in June ’45, would the modified stock even been in production in mid Feb ’45, when this Carbine went out the door?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?33350-WTS-Winchester-M1-Carbine

$2,500 Late 1944 production 6.5 million serial range Winchester M1 carbine. This rifle appears to be in unissued and completely factory original condition, other than the slide which is Underwood marked. Original factory parkerizing is 98%+, the bore is bright shiny and sharp. The rifle is completely original with all the correct parts and features for this time period, shallow 2 rivet hand guard low wood Winchester M2 type stock which is correct for rifles in this serial range, late parkerized Winchester M2 type bolt, adjustable rear sight, and bayonet lug type sling band. Overall an exceptional example of an late configuration Winchester M1 carbine. 45276

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:09am
Curious to know some opinions myself, and additionally this is the message I received:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:18am
Modified stocks ( long channel, additional recoil support) and regular type 3 stocks were in mixed use on the later Winchester carbines as were a mix of M1 and even M2 trigger housings and internal parts too. My belief is that the Underwood slide is a replacement and if there's one part replaced then it's a possibility that more have been changed.

I might add that the answer to your third question is yes. WRA used no M2 potbelly stocks, they instead used a long channel stock with obviously a selector switch cutout.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Curious to know some opinions myself, and additionally this is the message I received:
<h3 ="blocksub">You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:</h3>

Yes, apparently another fourm one has to join to access pictures on it. I'm not wanting to make comments, just to look at the pictures.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:26am
Only owned a few of the late long channel WRA M1 profile stocks with the selector cutout but all have had a very similar appearance to the milled bridge and cutout. Just from the limited observations and no study of printed material I lean to them having been modified to M2. Not an expert.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 12:19pm
Thank you for the responses so far.  I apologize about the link.  I am not computer savvy enough to just post description and photos.  If anyone can help, please do so!

Thanks! 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by jangle jangle wrote:

Thank you for the responses so far.  I apologize about the link.  I am not computer savvy enough to just post description and photos.  If anyone can help, please do so!

Thanks! 

Don't worry about it. I am sure it's something worth looking at.

Thanks for your post.
 Post Reply Post Reply