Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taiwanese M-1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I just reread you post and you said "inland receiver with inland barrel"
Does it say inland above the serial number? It might be under the rear sight

When you do get to pictures can you take a picture of the hand guard with brass piece zoomed or for perspective of where the cut is

I looked under the rear sight with my magnifying glasses, there is nothing under it besides the serial number. I posted Inland receiver originally because the gun shop had it listed (and my receipt says) Inland M-1 Carbine.

My guess is the shop figured the crest on the receiver was like the Bavarian Police Carbines CMP got in years ago, markings added after the fact and they just assumed since the barrel was Inland and there's no import markings they listed it as a Inland.

They did say the owner of the gun saying he thought the gun had been "rebuilt" in Japan so I guess the past owner figured it was done under US contract post Korea and then found it's way back through something like the CMP program
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 8:39pm
It does look an awful lot like an USGI receiver and that was before I went over to Jim's website and compared pictures. The Rockwell mark in front of the rear sight is interesting.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:33pm
It looks like someone removed all the markings on a GI receiver and replaced them with the Thai Police logo and a serial number in the sequence Howa used for the Thai police. I'd already noticed the logo looked off center but thought maybe it was just the angle of the pic. The serial number doesn't look as deep as those by Howa.

Photos of the sides and bottom of the receiver should answer the question of what it was originally. Howa didn't do the lightening cut on the left side of the receivers for Thailand or their commercial sporting carbines. But they also didn't do the rear sight dovetail like yours or the length of the slide track like yours.

The question then is, who dun it. My first thought was the Thai Border Police. Records of the Military Assistance Program indicate Thailand received 73,012 U.S. carbines between 1951 and 1976. Their border police were/are para military. There were enough carbines floating around S/E Asia from us, the Brits, the French, and the Dutch that the weapon was pretty common.

Changing the serial number isn't logical but this is jungle armorer logic with an agency that didn't take good care of their carbines.

Howa made carbines for their Self Defense Forces. I haven't seen one yet. Only info is 2nd and 3rd hand that they were sold in or to S/E Asia and Australia. We may have a lead on a location that has a couple of them. It's been on hold so we didn't overwhelm them with requests as they have a few items of interest. Time to ask.

I suspect your receiver is a GI receiver that's had it's markings replaced.

Jim
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

It looks like someone removed all the markings on a GI receiver and replaced them with the Thai Police logo and a serial number in the sequence Howa used for the Thai police. I'd already noticed the logo looked off center but thought maybe it was just the angle of the pic. The serial number doesn't look as deep as those by Howa.

Photos of the sides and bottom of the receiver should answer the question of what it was originally. Howa didn't do the lightening cut on the left side of the receivers for Thailand or their commercial sporting carbines. But they also didn't do the rear sight dovetail like yours or the length of the slide track like yours.

The question then is, who dun it. My first thought was the Thai Border Police. Records of the Military Assistance Program indicate Thailand received 73,012 U.S. carbines between 1951 and 1976. Their border police were/are para military. There were enough carbines floating around S/E Asia from us, the Brits, the French, and the Dutch that the weapon was pretty common.

Changing the serial number isn't logical but this is jungle armorer logic with an agency that didn't take good care of their carbines.

Howa made carbines for their Self Defense Forces. I haven't seen one yet. Only info is 2nd and 3rd hand that they were sold in or to S/E Asia and Australia. We may have a lead on a location that has a couple of them. It's been on hold so we didn't overwhelm them with requests as they have a few items of interest. Time to ask.

I suspect your receiver is a GI receiver that's had it's markings replaced.

Jim

When I get the time I'll take a better picture of both the crest and serial number, plus take better photo's of everything. I was getting a picture of the shim mark and think the picture looks canted a tad on my file screen

I could see adding the crest as a stamp but wouldn't it have taken a lot of work to erase any USGI markings? I can't see a armorer anywhere spending that much effort when they could have filed some kind of loss report and drawn a new weapon from supply.

Give me a couple weeks, I'll start a new thread and get my photo rig set up ( my sister has my macro lens.......memo to forum members, never recommend to a relative the same DSLR type you use.....you'll never see 1/2 your gear) 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 12:34am
Thinking Thai Border Police reminded me ....

In 2009 I made contact with an American who lives in Thailand and does contract work for the Thai National Police. Including the Border Police. He sent me this pic of a Border Police patrol team and indicated that while they were issued or offered the standard rifle at a particular time they could carry whatever they wanted.

He also provided some basic info on their operations. The nutshell version is many different teams stationed along the borders that had a standard military type chain of command but each team pretty much operated with a lot of latitude in how they did things. Kind of necessary given the the environment they worked in. Their main focus was the border with Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge (Cambodia communists).

He indicated the police had a central armory but maintenance was handled on a local level. At the main armory he'd seen railroad box cars full of carbines piled on top of one another. Not unlike descriptions I've heard of carbines and other weapons in various 3rd World countries worldwide. He didn't know if they were surplus or where they were headed.

These fellas weren't what we might think of as police officers. They were a paramilitary border patrol operating in a hostile jungle (in more than one way).

(To view a larger version click on the image)

Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 12:39am
The photos below were shared with me back in 2012. I can't recall who shared them but it was the owner of the carbine. I can't recall where he lived but don't think it was the USA. May have been New Zealand or Canada. Or I may have that wrong and just don't remember.

Point being, the carbines made by Howa weren't the only carbines used by the Thai Border Police.

The second pic may be upside down.

Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 1:07am
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I could see adding the crest as a stamp but wouldn't it have taken a lot of work to erase any USGI markings? I can't see a armorer anywhere spending that much effort when they could have filed some kind of loss report and drawn a new weapon from supply.

Give me a couple weeks, I'll start a new thread and get my photo rig set up ( my sister has my macro lens.......memo to forum members, never recommend to a relative the same DSLR type you use.....you'll never see 1/2 your gear) 

I think it best if we stick to this one thread. That way it keeps everything together for those reading it in the future years.

Other countries removing the U.S. markings from a carbine has not been the norm but hasn't been uncommon. Some of the police agencies in West Germany did this. Here's just one example http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbineGBR_AGN_fubog1.html

The Austrian Gendarmerie in the land/state of Upper Austria did this frequently but not always. One example: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbineAGO_0112.html

There are more examples in the Armory on BavarianM1Carbines.com: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Armory.html

I've seen it with other carbines, some of which we don't know who did it. Sometimes it was all the U.S. markings were removed. Sometimes only some of the markings. Sometimes only parts of the letters and numbers as if someone was buffing out the surface to make it shiny.

Those done by the German and Austrian police agencies the quantities suggest it was the agency that made the decision. For whatever reason.

Back to the Thai Border Police. Imagine working out of a jungle border outpost with first echelon maintenance being almost all echelons maintenance done by a local source that may have been specific to only a few outposts or just the one. Cannibalizing carbines for spare parts has been a common practice as it has with many firearms. Military, police, owners. With a Thai jungle outpost they likely didn't have a timely supply of spare replacement parts, if any at all.

Some places it wasn't as simple as drawing another carbine from the arsenal or police station. They had to make do with what they had available. Not just in Thailand.

Couple years ago we had contact with a police officer or military reservist in the Philippines who still carried an M1 carbine. Their standard issue when he first joined was the M16 with the open pronged flash suppressor. He opted for the carbine instead as it was easier to work with in the jungle. And was still carrying it. His source for replacement parts included the internet.

Jim
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 10:39am
I'll post new info here then Jim. I was thinking that Winchester Carbine with the Thai crest looks like something done in the field. I'm just hoping mine shoots decent, I wanted another one (I have 3 already, CMP Inland, Blue Sky marked Inland I'm planning on having Fulton Armory rebarrel and a Fulton Armory one).

Sucks not having the time till March to get to a range but between work and personal crap I was actually surprised I had time to stop at a gun shop this past weekend
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 7:59pm
Ok, I finally got a chance to take a few more pics

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5523/018.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5523/019.jpg

Pics of the Thai crest without the charging handle in the way

I found the import mark, it's on right side of the receiver. It's the same as this

It's very small and lightly marked, explained why I missed it. You got me why it's got a USGI rear sight. My guess is someone modified the mount or receiver somehow.

Still ain't had a chance to shoot it, work has had me on 6 days a week, going out of town this weekend so that's how I got tonite and the weekend off

Edited by New2brass - Feb 14 2021 at 10:16am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 8:25pm
Looks like a Winchester receiver. The rear sight would be correct for winchester.
Can you show other side of receiver, back and bottom?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 8:45pm
Agree with Dan that it would help to see the left side, back and bottom.

It's not like any Howa receiver I've seen, Thai Police or otherwise. That indent at the rear of the integral spring tube was done by a few of the GI receiver manufacturers. Never seen it on other than U.S. GI receivers.

I defer to Dan on which GI mfg made the receiver. Receiver ring shows marks consistent with removal of the original markings.

Jim
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 9:19pm
Here we go

Still trying to get a clear pic of the import mark. It does say "NHM CO SAC CA"

Edited by W5USMC - Nov 05 2022 at 8:16pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:08am
Yup, that's a Winchester receiver!
Seems they got their hands on some USGI carbines and remarked them.
I see the import markings on the sight base.

On the breach of the barrel under the green stuff, you probably can make out a number or letter

Was there any markings on the bolt, hammer or other small parts?
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Yup, that's a Winchester receiver!
Seems they got their hands on some USGI carbines and remarked them.
I see the import markings on the sight base.

On the breach of the barrel under the green stuff, you probably can make out a number or letter

Was there any markings on the bolt, hammer or other small parts?

Not seeing any, I'll take another look later  
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:56am
@DonFlynn - What a cool carbine and a Winch receiver! Thanks for sharing. Glad this thread cycled back to the top as I had missed it.

In Jim's picture above, the border guard pointing has a carbine. It looks like an enforcer type carbine or one that was customized to his liking. Can't imagine what goes on when local "armorers" get their hands on a carbine.

Just wondering, is there such a thing as an original condition Thai carbine?
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 12:08pm
Well, this sucks. I finally got a chance to shoot this thing. 1st 50 rounds only problem was 1 stovepipe around the 40th round. I was using the USGI mag that came with the rifle so I wrote that off as the mag (I started out with 5 rounds, then 10 then 15 so I figured needs a new spring).
Decide to try a couple Korean mags the shop I bought it from sold me cheap and those won't feed past 4-5 rounds....no problem me thinks, they were only $5.00 a pop. Go to clear the last FTF and switch to using my "good" USGI mags  and I notice the damn rear sight is 2/3rds the way out of the damn slot.....I pulled it off there at the range.

I gave up after that, 82 rounds fired. I'm going to call the shop and see what they say. I can push the rear sight back on but I know enough about Carbines to know that ain't right.

Thoughts?  

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 12:15pm

Thoughts? 

Clean the receiver dove tail, clean the rear sight base. Try using blue loc-tite to glue it back in place.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Thoughts? 

Clean the receiver dove tail, clean the rear sight base. Try using blue loc-tite to glue it back in place.

I'm not sure that will work. The rear sight should fit tighter IMO
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 6:08pm
I agree with Wayne on using the blue Loctite. It's the safest way to go. Another method often suggested is to cut a dovetail sized piece of aluminum out of a soda can and use it to shim underneath the sight. However that might be too tight. The receiver dovetail is probably pretty brittle by now so avoid using force that might cause it to chip off. In fact, if it's that loose, it may already be cracked. I'd stick with the Loctite.
JackP
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 6:28pm
The adjustable rear sights were designed with half circle inlets for the purpose of staking the sight in place. Shown in the first 3 pics are the milled adjustable rear sight on the left with the stamped adjustable rear sight on the right. Note the position of the half circle inlets allows for staking the sight to the front and rear of the dovetail opening.

The receiver in the area of the dovetail was hardened slightly less than the rest of the receiver for this purpose.

A word of CAUTION. Some have made the mistake of staking the rear sight in place by bending the upper 4 corners of the dovetail downward to hold the sight in place: front and back on the right side of the sight and front and back on the left side of the sight. The receiver metal was not designed for bending those 4 corners downward. Inevitably someone eventually tries to bend them back upwards and finds they can snap off. I'll try to come up with a pic that shows the bent dovetail corners.

Below the first pics are some examples of adjustable rear sights that have been staked in place. With two having been staked more than once and not necessarily in the half circles.

All that's required to do this is a punch the size of the half circle, a hammer, and a means of holding the receiver as the stake marks are placed.

Sometimes over time with repeated rear sight removal and replacement the dovetail can become enlarged. Or a newer rear sight may be too large to fit into the dovetail.

If the sight is too large the remedy is cautious filing of the front and rear edge of the bottom of the sight where it fits into the dovetail.

If the dovetail is too large sometimes the staking will still hold the sight securely. If necessary the top edges of the dovetail can be bent ever so slightly downwards to tighten the fit of the rear sight. This is something that should be done with the rear sight in place within the dovetail to provide a means of support so the dovetail edges aren't bent too much. Go cautious and easy on the metal of the dovetail.

Use of a threadlocker adhesive to hold the rear sight in place has two shortcomings. First, the adhesive will hold the rear sight in place for a time but the recoil of the rifle can overcome the strength of the threadlocker. Second, the amount of force necessary to remove a rear sight that has been secured with threadlocker puts extra stress on the edges of the dovetail.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>