Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood 1422081

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newsman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood 1422081
    Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 9:35pm
A nice example of an Underwood oval cut carbine. More pictures to come.

For those with carbines in this S/N range, check for an unusual handguard and/or a star marking on the front section of the forward trigger housing lug. Below is a picture of the star marking.

LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2018 at 2:38am
Looks really nice from the pictures you posted thus far.

I love the OEM bluing on bolts, especially the way in contrasts with the receiver's park'd finish.   The late WRA rifles with their gray receivers are the epitome of this out of all the OEM carbines I've looked at (many in this subforum).

Thanks for sharing!
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2018 at 9:38am
A very nice early UEF carbine. I have 14267xx with a 6-43 barrel date. If the story is true it was a battlefield pick-up from the Battle of the Bulge. I know, buy the gun not the story so I digress there. Personally, I really like early UEF carbines and have the one I just mentioned and a Bavarian UEF in the 1.40 range. It has a S-HB replacement handguard, but everything else seems to be as it would have been from the factory.

Edited by Why Carbines? - Dec 01 2018 at 10:45am
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2018 at 12:52pm
Close to my 1426777 -- has a 4-43 barrel, as does my 1422994. I'm also partial to early UEF. Here's one of my nicer ones with a 1-43 barrel --

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2035/1.37_serial_number.jpg

SF,
Bill

Edited by New2brass - Nov 29 2023 at 11:46am
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by OAMAAM68 OAMAAM68 wrote:

Close to my 1426777 -- has a 4-43 barrel, as does my 1422994. I'm also partial to early UEF. Here's one of my nicer ones with a 1-43 barrel --
SF,
Bill

Is the N in Underwood correct or is it mirrored?
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 8:55am
Doug -- Looks right to me!
SF,
Bill
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 8:59am
The SN on the speck sheet does not match the the SN on the rifle. ?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 12:18pm
Charles -- sorry for the confusion. OP's UEF is 1422081. CC data sheet is for that SN.
My post was in reply to WhyCarbines? who mentioned his 14267xx with a 6-43 barrel. I replied -- "Close to my 1426777 -- has a 4-43 barrel, as does my 1422994. I'm also partial to early UEF. Here's one of my nicer ones with a 1-43 barrel --
(and posted pic of my 1374192).
Apologies for "hijacking" the OP when I replied to WhyCarbines?.
SF,
Bill

Newsman2 View Drop Down
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newsman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 1:38pm
Bill,

No problem at all, it was not taken as hijacking. Instead, it is participation which is one goal of the Carbine Collector's Club. Articles produced by the club or its members are meant to inform and encourage others to participate. The club encourages all of its members to share. Options range from members posting pictures of their carbines, datasheets and official articles in the form of Featured Carbines. Thank you for sharing a picture of your early UEF with the club and its members. If you would like to share more of it in the future, please do. I'm sure our members would love to see more.

After all, it is participation that leads to preservation.

Please see the last picture in the first post showing the star marking. This marking appears only for a short time on UEF receivers and the club would like to do a survey to determine the serial number range.
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 5:48pm
I checked my 1.3mil Underwoods -- no stamp on the lug. My earliest 1.4 is 1422994. It has both the asterisk star like yours and a traditional star, too -- (iPhone camera and old eyes -- not great pic)

1426777 has just the asterisk.

SF,
Bill

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 6:26pm
Nice looking carbines.

For some reason, the asterix mark isn’t found on early UW’s. They began appearing in the 1.4 serial number range. Their meaning is unknown. Have not heard of an additional star marking. Now that I have seen it, would you mind taking a clear picture of it?

Would also like to see pictures of the OP’s flip sight, especially the staking.
Newsman2 View Drop Down
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newsman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2018 at 8:55pm
Additional pictures of rear sight added.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2018 at 8:59pm
Not sure if I've seen a nicer Underwood than that.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 7:45pm
Agreed. That wood needs some RLO.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 4:57pm
newby here, with some info on my buddies underwood and the little bit of data we have, he does not have any photos of it, i will try to snap a few for the site. here is the data we have:2359481. Run was July, 1943-Feb., 1944 (we think). again , we don't know how much except the serial number is true. thanks in advance.
THE oldfart69
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 5:48pm
Now that is a great Carbine. Looks to good to be true. Would love to have that one. Thanks for sharing.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 10:26pm
No problem. Glad I was able to share it with fellow collectors. Also, thanks to those who have contributed to this thread, especially the pics of the * marking. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Never know when something like it and more might be for sale. Technically, dibs have already been declared, but who knows what the future holds.
 Post Reply Post Reply