The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Carbine missfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaw1940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Carbine missfire
    Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 9:02pm
My inland M1 carbine suddenly will not fire. Foreign
Firing pin not broken hammer clicks but there is
absolutely no indication of contact with the primer
Am using new factory Remington 110 gr
Ammo. Anybody have an idea or had this problem
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 10:01pm
Welcome to the forum.

Check to see if the bolt is rotating into full battery. If not that could be causing your problem. If there is any damage to the bolt lugs or mating surfaces of the receiver or operating slide it could be binding. Also, damage to the rear of the bolt could prevent the hammer from properly striking the firing pin. There are a number of other possible causes but we should rule these out first.

Edited by jackp1028 - Nov 30 2018 at 12:24am
JackP
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 12:05am
+1 to everything Jack said.
Also try soaking the firing pin and bolt assembly in Hoppes #9......... It might just be gunked up, killing the force of the firing pins hit on the primer.

Keep us informed..
Luck to you

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 5:30am
Sure sounds like it's not going into battery. All of what these guys said, but check your most recent fired brass for solid primer strikes. If they seem lighter than what you're accustomed to, could be the head-space has slipped out of tolerance, or the hammer spring is simply weakened over time, but not likely. Let's hope it's not head-space. Disassemble/inspect/clean the bolt and internals, make sure everything moves as it should. check the nose of the FP for chips or damage. Make sure the bolt fully rotates and locks. Try different ammo. If the action is tight...maybe the ammo could be long causing it not to close/rotate. "Suddenly" usually indicates something is broken or stuck. If you've fired that ammo routinely, it's likely not the cause. I have had similar issues B4 and in one case, the nose of the FP was only slightly chipped and deformed...enough to cause failure-to-fire.

Good Luck!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 10:48am
there was a thread that had a similar issue. turns out the extractor was cracked.
I cannot find that thread Unhappy

Check extractor and ejector movement to make sure not binding or damaged.

Basically as stated above, if the bolt does not rotate fully the receiver has a bridge that prevents the firing pin from going forward.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 1:02pm
I have an inland that would fire 2-5 rounds then misfire without denting the primer. Turns out it's most likely the extractor rim not slipping over the cartridge's rim, thus not fully seating the bolt into battery.

Like Dan said above, check the extractor to make sure it's not damaged...here is one I cracked:

If the extractor is free from damage, your extractor spring and plunger might not be snapping open freely enough due to either improper assembly of that region, or there is dirt/grime impeding the free travel of spring/plunger.

Everybody who has already weighed in is many times more expierenced, and knowledgeable on these guns than myself, so I'd listen to them first:)
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 5:10pm
Check the spacer which fits alongside your M2 hammer. It must be thick enough to preclude any lateral shift of your M2 hammer. If hammer moves sideways even a little bit, it won't hit the firing pin. Such a change from functioning to non-functioning could be sudden, as observed.

If you've an M1 hammer, I'd replace that "foreign" firing pin. Maybe it's not long enough, but then you'd know that since it would never have worked in the first place
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 5:36pm
I completely overlooked OP remarks about a “foreign” firing pin. Where did the possibility of a spacer crop-up?
 Post Reply Post Reply