The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, recent Inland bubba purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy, recent Inland bubba purchase
    Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 4:57pm
New guy here.

Growing up Dad had a  RockOla, and my uncle had an Inland, both bought during the $17/$20 days from the DCM.

When I was a teen, a buddy of mine's grandfather was a dealer, and we discovered an M1A1 in his hoards of stuff and took it out shooting and I loved it.  The grandfather caught us with it and we got a stern lecture on the value of an original M1A1 stock.

I bought an aftermarket M1A1 stock out of the Shotgun news, slapped my uncle's Inland in it (
he was deployed overseas and left it at my grandparents' house) , and had a blast with it.

When my uncle retired, he came and got his Inland, so I've had a stock sitting here empty until I could find an affordable shooter.

A couple of weeks ago a bubba'd/ sporterized carbine popped up on gunbroker, sold by a local pawn shop.  Scope mount (replaced rear sight), ears cut off the front sight, and a monte carlo stock.  That said, it was an Inland receiver with 12/42 dated barrel, and no permanent modifications were made so I bid on it and ended up with it.

I need to find a Type 2 rear sight for it, a front sight, and a type 3 barrel band.  Going to try to stick with all Inland parts just because I'm OCD and prefer it that way, although I realize that mixmasters are the general rule on carbines.  That said, if I'm buying parts, why not stick with the easiest to find ones that also happen to be the maker of the major components?

This one has a flip safety, double stamped serial number (almost didn't buy based on that alone),  M2 mag catch, so it was obviously rebuilt.  Had a type 2 barrel band with the swivel cut off Dead.

Barrel, receiver, trigger housing, and slide are all Inland.  Winchester flat bolt.  Haven't really looked at the little parts and don't think I'm going to mess with anything other than replacing the sights and barrel band with USGI parts.

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 7:16pm
Welcome to the forum.  Great folks here to help answer whatever questions and quandaries you may have.  Might want to consider posting a pic or two.  Especially the double stamped SN.
Once again, welcome!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 7:42pm
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 7:50pm
jeepwm69,

Welcome!

I suggest filling out a Carbine Data Sheet for your Inland. Here is a link to the data sheet and info.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html

I don't go back to the $17/$20 DCM days, but I bought my first Carbine (Winchester) for $195 in 1984 in Hawaii. I still love to shoot it, and .30 Carbine was also the first cartridge I ever reloaded. When I bought it, WWII ammo was still commonly available, and was a lot cheaper than new production, so that's what I shot through it until I had enough empty casings to reload.

I'm sure you'll find the parts you're looking for, and you'll have a nice Carbine. You should post some photos when you get a chance.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 8:46pm
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Collectors forum from New Mexico!

JackP
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2018 at 10:15pm
Hey brother, welcome aboard. I'm greasyeasy on arfcom....I was the one who dropped the links to this place in your thread

It's great to see you join this place, and it's the best no BS tech forum for M1 carbines imho.
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2018 at 10:16pm
Welcome aboard from NC - have fun !

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2018 at 11:06am
Welcome Aboard!

Semper Fi, Bruce
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2018 at 8:44am
Jeepwm69, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your background M1 story.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2018 at 12:47pm
Here's the GB link to the carbine I purchased.

I wouldn't have even though about buying it had I not been able to inspect it in person prior to bidding.

jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 11:27am
Got a nice barrel band and rear sight yesterday from New2brass here on the forum.  Just waiting on my front sight now and I'll have it back in service.  Thanks Dan!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 4:53pm
Welcome...
Gotta ask: Are there any markings on that Type II barrel band ?
Living Free because of those that serve.....
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2018 at 11:02am
Yeah it's marked KI
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2018 at 2:33pm
Got my front sight in over the weekend and got it installed.

Also ordered an IO marked regular USGI stock for $59 from "What A Country" (had a crack, that was easily glued so as to be almost unseen, and matches the wood on my handguard perfectly), so all in all I have about $780 in it, including the extra stock. 

Ended up with a KI marked barrel band, an HI marked type 2 rear sight, and an R marked front sight.

LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2018 at 5:02pm
That turned out fantastic!

Now that I'm not really looking for a real M1A1, I'm thinking of getting a Fulton Armory M1A1 stock.

To me they make one of the coolest firearms even coolerCool
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2018 at 10:59pm
Welcome to the forum. Nothing like an M1A1.
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 10:13pm
Welcome to the forum! One of the best decisions you will ever make. Enjoy!
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 11:16am
I got a really nice IO marked regular stock for it too from whatacountry.  Had a crack on the right side that was easily glued and is now imperceptible if you aren't looking for it.

The regular stock is a great match in color and grain to the handguard too, so I can swap stocks if I want to and everything looks great.

Unfortunately, the Fajen stock brought a whopping $10 on ebay.  To make it worse, when I shipped it, I sent it in the triangular shaped Priority Mail box that the "whatacountry" stock came in, and the buyer received the stock in 2 pieces, so I just refunded his money.   USPS must have been awful rough with it to snap it in two. 

Shame too.  I thought it would have cleaned up ok if someone removed those ugly triangles.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 11:34am
I believe if you shipped it priority then it has insurance coverage. Might want to file a claim
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2019 at 2:52pm
I just filed one.  Given the amount it brought, almost not worth the effort, but you're right.  Worth a try.

I'll be shocked if the USPS pays out on it.  None of the shipping companies ever take responsibility for damage they cause.
 Post Reply Post Reply