Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbines in the Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbines in the Movies
    Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 12:57pm
Some time ago, many of us saw a bolt-action carbine for sale on Gunpoker. It was pretty-much a standard issue GI carbine with a bolt handle welded onto the right bolt lug. I was watching an old movie today titled "Sniper". Not the recent one, but one made in 1952. Of all things, the sniper was using a modified bolt-action 30-cal. carbine with a take-down barrel. It was not just my poor eyesight and imagination. I saw him handle it at least twice and the cops had recovered a casing confirming he was using a 30-caliber carbine.

Just a curiosity on my part I suppose.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 1:34pm
It looks like an M1A1 without the hand guard and with 4X Weaver on a tall side mount. It looks similar to the mount that Universal came up with maybe ten years later, except much taller.

Here's a trailer from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HdimrnCHc

Here's a couple of stills from the movie.

JackP
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 2:50pm
Well Jack...now I know it was not my imagination.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 3:05pm
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:M1c.jpg

Above is the Internet Movie Firearms Data Base site. It is advertisement intensive with sometimes ads that might not be family friendly......

But it has a pretty good list of all firearms and what movie it is in.

Was the bolt action observed with a curved handle? Pic above look to be regular slide
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the heads-up on that site Dan. You know, he was on a roof top in the dark and maybe I assumed it was a bolt-gun. I mainly noticed it seemed he chambered a carbine round by hand. It promped me to look closer to notice the barrel-band. I don’t recall if he twisted the barrel or it snapped-in. I’m pretty sure he did not screw it in.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 6:58pm
He probably had to hand load those special, high powered, long range carbine sniper rounds.
JackP
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 6:31am
That was entertaining.  Thanks!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2018 at 2:25pm
Another photo from MASH

Klinger with M!

Edited by New2brass - Nov 18 2018 at 4:17pm
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2018 at 4:16pm
That guy must be section 8. That scarf clashed with the ammo pouches.

In similar news, Malibu Creek State Park, where M*A*S*H* was filmed was badly damaged by the recent wildfires in California. 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2018 at 12:00am

Ranolf Scott as a Marine Raider in the 1943 film Gung Ho.
What is interesting is that they procured an M1 carbine for the movie!
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2018 at 1:28pm
Narcos: Mexico on Netflix features a number of shots with carbines.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2018 at 8:06pm
Just For Fun..... If you've got a little time to kill

Do TV shows count? When spotting M1 carbines ?
I just seen Bosley from the Charlie's Angels show get knocked over the head (knocked out) as he was leaving his state room with a M1 Carbine while on a Cruise ship after hearing a man over board alarm. It was just short of 1/2 way through the 1 hour show. You could see the Carbines' butt plate hit him on the head and see a sling swivel.
I didn't catch all of it...... but enough to see what I described.
Wonder if it was a Commercial Controls Corp. ??

I looked up the season and episode:
First aired: March 23.. 1977 on ABC. 
Titled: Angels at Sea
Season: 1
Episode: 21
Has the original Angels, main guest star Frank Gorshin aka the Bad guy who was a great impersonator and played The Riddler on the tv series Batman.

If someone can pull a still picture, you're a better man than I.
If you search out the online video be prepared for the Carbine when you hear the Man Over Board Alarm.... (To save time, jump ahead to 15-16 minutes in).

@ 17:13~ you'll see a Carbine ready to bump ole Bosleys head.....later you'll see they recovered it, were trying to pull finger prints and it has a scope on it.

I searched Charlies Angels at Sea. Some sites call it episode 21... others 22.
It came up on a site called dailymotion dot com called vidz

Video Link: Use the best that suits you.

What Carbine features could you make out ?

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2018 at 8:28pm
After the dummy is dropped you'll see the rifle barrel pointing out that doesn't have GI frt sight.
The Angels run from the IIRC 3 sniper shots (@ the dummy) and take cover.
Afterward, after Farrah picked up the rifle you can see @18:51 there is No Bayo Band, but does have a GI Frt sight.

Murder, Mystery, Pretty Gals and a Carbine......... Thumbs Up

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2018 at 9:25pm
Here's one that should be in the "Puzzler" category. Back in 1973 there was an episode of "Hawaii Five-O" called "Hookman". In that episode the bad guy, a double amputee played by J.J. Armes used a number of carbines as sniper rifles to assassinate police members that were responsible for his earlier capture during a robbery that led to the loss of his arms.

The actor, J.J.Armes was also a private detective in El Paso, Texas where I lived at the time. I had the opportunity to meet him in person when he visited the company where I worked. Check out this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_J._Armes

It just so happens that Richard Mills, one of the brothers mentioned in my Carbines of the Collectors post also knew J.J. Armes and actually worked with him during his early career in law enforcement. Both Richard and Armes are now in their 80's but still work in law enforcement, Richard working for our local PD and Armes operating his PI business in El Paso, "The Investigators".

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/the-mills-brothers-rockola_topic3748.html

Here's a link to "The Investigators":

http://www.jjarmes.com/academy.html

The "Puzzle" is...Who made the carbine used in the Hawaii Five-O episode?

Here's a link to the video of the "Hookman" episode:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59g6zu

JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 12:06am
JP,
I only had time to watch his first 'Target'.
Fingerprints won't be a problem........
This should be interesting.
I believe fellow member Wayne (among others) will enjoy this.

Thx
CH-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

The "Puzzle" is...Who made the carbine used in the Hawaii Five-O episode?

Looks like a Plainfield Paratrooper to me.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield03.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 8:57pm
Bingo, Wayne, good job naming the carbine!

By the way, there was a remake of this episode in the 2013 Hawaii Five-O reboot. Peter Weller (Robocop) plays the Hookman. Only the rifle wasn't an M1 Carbine. It was some kind of black rifle. Maybe someone can tell us what it was. Season 3, Episode 15 on Netflix.   
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2019 at 9:32pm
Watching an old TV show today. A carbine was used to commit a 40 year old murder that the Police were investigating. This was episode 8, season 5 and first aired in 1991. Can anyone name the TV show??

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 8:58am
Unsolved Mysteries? Bugsy Siegel

Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 9:18am
 In The Heat of the Night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>