Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester s/n marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester s/n marking
    Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:20pm
Hi all
First I would like to say thanks for letting me join your carbine community . I have been visiting here a bit but this is my first post .

My question is - I recently purchased a Winchester in the 6 million range and the numbers almost appear to be hand stamped . Reason I ask this is the first digit (6) is much lower than the others . The gun was probably built in November of 44 and everything seems to check out good .
Type 3 barrel band marked C
Stock - W in sling well and ordnance stamp only
Slide - W
Trigger housing and all parts - W
Bolt - W
Rear sight - adjustable with H in shield
Any and all comments appreciated - thank you !
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:22pm
Another pic
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:23pm
Is it or me or does your rear sight have the gray paint on it that late wra carbines are known to have?

I'm a rookie so I can't answer your question, but I'd love to see more pics of your carbine. A late wra is near the top of my want list.
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:25pm
And another pic
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:27pm
Ordnance stamp
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:29pm
Barrel band - C marked
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:31pm
One more pi
papahound View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papahound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:34pm
Sorry I don't see any grey paint on the rear sight but all the metal on the rifle matches up well and has a nice patina as you would expect
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:39pm
The machine that rolled the serial numbers on rotated to change numbers. Think of the old odometers in cars.
Numbers did not always line up perfectly.
Yours looks fine other than lining up to the off-center. There have been reports of markings rolling on the side of the receiver 

@LTM, think you are seeing light and shadow on the rear sight.
The paint was used in different locations to cover scratches or missed finish. this was to remove glare.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 7:39pm
Thanks Dan for the info as always. I never knew why the paint was there, and assumed it was by accident and since it was gray they just left it.

Papahound thanks for the excellent pics, and answer to my question.

Not sure if you've seen this thread yet, but it's one my favorite and the carbines it features are stunning. Specifically if you'll scroll down in the pics to where it shows their serial numbers, you'll see the one on the right has what Dan describes as an odometer effect. Looks just like yours. Also it seems that your receiver has that unique late wra gray finish that is so cool. It just seems like it has developed a nice patina over it that masks it to some degree. It's the last picture that I'm referring to in the link below....

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/group-of-late-winchester-carbines_topic2776.html
 Post Reply Post Reply