Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer and rear sight markings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer and rear sight markings?
    Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 5:08pm
Seems like every new carbine I acquire has markings I can not find in my books or the newsletters.
The hammer code is RK (as opposed to KR). The rear sight only has a very small shield.
Both came on a rebuild Rock Ola.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:02pm
Hmm, that may be the smallest Hemphill mark I have seen but seem to remember there were two sizes or styles.

K hammers were Kal tool. Some have been observed overstamped with an R like yours. Take a closer look at it.
It was in the newsletter 139, 181 and think pictures later. What mark if any is on the other side?

Edit to add: CCNL 365 talks about two different styles on the Hemphill stamped sights.
Still looking on the mini mark on the milled.
Can you take a picture of the aperture ramp markings
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 7:34pm
Col and Dan,
Hammer
Yes Kal machine made.
Should/could be a X on the other side
Here is a interesting/similar hammer:

Interesting rear sight...

Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 7:55pm
There is what ooks like an X on the right rear of the receiver.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 9:18am
Here is more on the hammer, hemphill mark, and X on receiver.

I reviewed all the NLs and milsurp post regarding K hammers. Thanks, Dan and Painter.
I took more photos, different angles, different light, and can not make out any other underlying code that may have been stamped over. Except perhaps on the first pic, there might be a faint understamp beneath the two legs of the K but is questionable. Cannot see it in other pics. And YES, there is an X on the reverse side. So for now, I am considering this a legit Rock-Ola hammer. 

Scroll down for Hemphill photos

I can almost see an H inside the Hemphill shield, which is amazing since it is so small to begin with. Below these 2 pics is pic of the aperature marks.

And finally, an X on the right rear of the receiver as m1a1fan noticed. One of the NLs said this most likely means that the receiver was removed from the production line for testing and then reinserted for the build. 

thanks for all your help
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 12:24pm
Kal hammers marked K.I. have been observed with other letters on the back side. o, O, S, X, T, as well as the number 3.
If anyone has seen anything else please let me know.

Normally we see a shadow of an I on the R overstamp ones. I have a Kal hammer just marked I.
So far we have only seen the X on the R/K.I. Sometimes the R appears to have a broken leg.
Again please report any variations.

Hemphill also made the H.I adjustable sights. A few reports of both the H.I. and H in shield on the same sight have been reported
What stands out on the one above other than small mark is the 1.5 graduation on left side is absent. EDIT to add: Seems Hemphill had with and without 1.5 marking on regular size stamp
I am assuming that this Rock-ola is not a very late one and that the sight is not original due to the multiple stake marks. However, this may be a early style milled worth having a look into.

I need to check, but is that x consistent on the receiver with those pulled? EDIT: Yes correct font

Edited by New2brass - Nov 04 2018 at 3:12pm
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 3:24pm
I have another hammer coded KR but it does not have an X on the opposite side.

As for the rear adjustable site, it came off of Rock Ola SN 6.2M, and according to War Baby, is not the correct one for that SN. It should be a stamped sight. NL 117 did not differentiate machined vrs stamped. The carbine had some mixed parts so I an not considering this rear sight to be original.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 3:40pm
It seems to be the R/K.I. that have the X on back.
K.I. has been observed with an X as well as others stated above.
No reports I know of the smaller KR. having a letter on other side.

Is the Rock-ola pictures above the 6.2?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 4:25pm
yep. All these photos from the 6.2M Rock Ola except the last photo of the KR hammer.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2019 at 3:08pm
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2019 at 3:41pm
Haven't seen one of these. Will keep my eye out.
Thanks Dan
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2019 at 8:53pm
Both my type II SA rear sights are marked just like that.
Can't find my type II 'Winchester' rear sights.
I also have a type II with crossed cannons on left but no marking on the right side.
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2019 at 11:54pm
Very recently picked up a Rock-Ola carbine, serial number 6210154. 
I had noticed the x at the rear of the receiver and wondered about it.  Is there more discussion on this in another thread that someone could point me in the direction of?  As I'd like to know more about it, but don't want to hijack the topic of discussion here.

Kind regards -TT

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2019 at 6:35am
From page 398 of WAR BABY: "Various components (hammers, slides, barrels and receivers) manufactured by Rock-Ola throughout all of its four assigned SN blocks are sometimes found marked with a small x. These were taken at random during production from the assembly line, marked x for identification purposes, and used for quality control testing or experimentation. Components not damaged or destroyed in these tests were returned for acceptance, assembly and issue"
 Post Reply Post Reply