Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Springfield Armory Arsenal rebuilds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield Armory Arsenal rebuilds
    Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 5:58pm
I don't see many Springfield Armory Arsenal rebuild carbines for sale. I know Springfield Armory received the first rebuild contract following WW II and was wondering how these carbines were generally viewed for quality. Also, present day value range.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 8:21pm
Paul, Not sure that any rebuild is held at a higher regard because of where it was rebuilt. I have never heard or read that any one rebuild facility was any better than any of the others. Basically they inspected the carbines, replaced unserviceable parts as needed and upgraded obsolete parts. As far as present day value goes I think that pretty much all rebuilds are looked at as mixed parts carbines and fall into that price category. Exception being the "white bag" carbines that were mentioned in another thread.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 8:43pm
Paul, I do not know if that is factual that SA received the first contract to rebuild. I would need to see more information.

Springfield Armory was a part of the carbine production all along with development and research. Making drawing revisions etc.
They were supposed to gear up for the manufacture of the carbine after the war. They were tasked with developing a way to preserve carbines without grease.
SA was tasked with making spares for converting carbines to M2.

The first deliveries of 13005 rebuilt M1 carbines were in 1946. I do not know the contract date.
But think of this, where were all the carbines needing a rebuild at the end of the war?

In May of 45 Fabrique National was tasked with inspecting, repairing, cleaning and packing over 2.1 million small arms. This was accomplished by June 1946.

This may not qualify as "Rebuild" according to the rebuild standards which was laid out in a TM in 1947.

Next shortfall being how to tell an FN rebuild as rebuilds we not to be marked when done overseas.

I have no info on Rock Island as to when they started a rebuild. I think I have information on a few others but will have to dig.

Evidently, the rebuild programs were not pushed until the realization of the coming  Korean War.
and just theorizing out loud that some of the rebuild programs were done to keep people working.

If they just closed up shop and had the boys returning home to find no jobs we would be right where we were before the war, which was the depression. 

Some carbines went through more than one rebuild. I see SA marked stocks from time to time. There was no way to know if these were straight from a rebuild.

Some of the "19 dollar" carbines were delivered straight from the arsenals. Take caution as one was sold recently which was in an arsenal marked box that was sold several weeks earlier at auction without a carbine.

The CMP had one last shipment of carbines from the Army which they did a lottery for. In that lot were some very dry carbines with crisp SA marks. These very likely were as left SA.
I do not think many people other than you and I (and possibly a small group of others) would get very excited about these!

For years anything rebuilt was frowned upon. And oh the shivers of some if import marked. Shocked
but that did not stop many from "Correcting" and selling as originals.

Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2018 at 7:34am
Dan, I really appreciate the detailed information you provided. Always impressed with your level of knowledge when responding to member questions. I have a carbine with a stock marked SA in a three sided box that is crisp along with a handguard marked SA. All parts appear to have been replaced in accordance with rebuild guidelines at the time. It is in very good condition.
 Post Reply Post Reply