Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 No Go vs Field Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 No Go vs Field Gauge
    Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 4:52pm
I was about to order a Forester 30 Carbine Field Gauge when I read a CMP article recommending the No Go instead of the field. They also said Clymer has the proper USGI spec vs the Forester. Since I’m a M1 newbie am I misunderstanding this? Thx

Edited by kwesi1 - Oct 18 2018 at 9:19pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 5:53pm
The Go and No Go gauges are used pretty much for verifying headspace after a barrel replacement. The Field Gauge is useful to determine if an older, maybe somewhat worn, carbine is still safe.

The Forster gauges I have match the Go gauge dimensions in the Carbine's early 1947 tech manual at 1.290". However the Forster No Go gauge is 1.296" rather than 1.295". So it's more forgiving or "liberal". The Forster Field gauge is 1.299" rather than the 1.300" specified. So it's less forgiving or "conservative". However, the later 1953 tech manual allowed the Field gauge to increase to 1.302" specifically for "...weapons in the hands of troops". Bottom line, the Forster Field gauge is less forgiving than either issue of the tech manual specifies.

What are the dimensions of the Clymer gauges?
JackP
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 6:00pm
We have touched on this, but I know it takes time to grasp it all. If your carbine does not close on a no-go, that’s great and indicates it has a lot of life left in it. However, the gun is safe to fire past that. If you condemned a gun based solely on the no-go measurement, you are throwing away a lot more gun. The difference between a no-go and a field is .005+-. That may not sound like much, but it’s a lot of shooting. A no-go fail indicates the gun may require service soon, but if it passed the field-gauge test, it is completely safe to fire until it fails on a field-gauge.

These gauges reflect a broad safety range. That is why I prefer to measure exactly what the head-space is. My shooting GI carbines usually measure 1.296-1.297. A no-go is 1.295 (depends on who's gauge you purchase). I am not going to start thinking about service until I see a measurement of 1.300-1.301, which is a field gauge.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 9:30pm
jackp: Thank you. The Clymer gauge dimensions are not listed at the retailers I visited.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 9:39pm
floydthecat: I ordered the bolt tool you recommended. I was going to order the field gauge you also recommended instead of making the dummy round you suggested. Seemed like the easier path at the time. I sized an inverted bullet and will grab the scotch tape...thanks! Did you read my last posts on the mixed parts on my Inland 1?

Edited by kwesi1 - Oct 18 2018 at 11:55pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 6:25am
I did glance at it. Some of the components are clearly visible from the exterior, but you will need to disassemble everything completely (except for the piston) to develop a complete data sheet. Every part, except for pins, springs and plungers, will usually be stamped. Click on the banner carbine at the top of the page and discover the forum website....and spend hours and hours of reading and researching. Search-out tutorials on trigger group and bolt disassembly on the web and dig deep into your new toy.

You can also go to this site    http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/   It is not considered an accurate source and is mostly reprinted from dated sources, but it will give you an idea of what you can find inside a carbine and help identify parts-markings. Use the drop-down menus to search-out components by manufacture and type.
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 9:43am
Are there any reports or examples of carbine damage from firing with out of spec head space ? 
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 9:52am
I had been researching every link except the Carbine banner..lol. Thx!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 9:53am
The internet is your friend for searching out such things. Most of what you’ll find are broken bolt lugs and extractors. I’m sure here in the forum, or other forums, you can find examples of such. Yours truly has cracked a bolt lug playing around with excessive head-space. Hopefully, the first thing to go would be a beat-up extractor. They will shoot loser than a 1.301 field gauge, but you’re playing with fire. Look for misfires as the firing-pin will no longer reach the primer.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

What are the dimensions of the Clymer gauges?

My Clymer No-Go measures 1.295.

I prefer Forster gauges over the Clymer Gauges because you do not have to disassemble the bolt to use the Forster Gauges.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 11:35am
I prefer the Forster Field gauge because you don't have to disassemble the bolt to use it and it's probably more accurate than making one from a carbine case. If you want to check headspace at a gun show, you can't really expect to be able to disassemble the bolt. I carry a Field gauge and a ME gauge. Usually sellers appreciate knowing that their carbine passes these checks. If the Field gauge passes then you can use the cartridge case method later to determine the actual measurement, if it really matters
JackP
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2018 at 9:36pm
Headspace update: I purchased Forester’s Field and No Go gauges. I’m pleased to report that the bolt did not close on either.
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2018 at 3:12pm
In response to zenfly's question of 10/19:  "Are there any reports or examples of carbine damage from firing with out of spec headspace?”

A few years ago, my best friend had an incident with a carbine where a cartridge case separated when fired.  The results were as follows:  1. Stock split.  2.  Magazine blown apart -- the follower, spring and baseplate were blown out the bottom of the magazine.  3.  Brass from the ruptured case struck my friend in the forehead -- a small piece of brass, about the size of a BB, actually lodged just under the skin of his forehead.   

As best I remember there was no discernable damage to the receiver itself, but there may have been some damage to the lugs on the bolt.    I believe we were shooting either USGI or commercial carbine ammo (not reloads) when this incident happened. 

We had been having quite a bit of trouble with misfires (i.e., click but no bang) before the incident happened, and were observing light firing pin strikes on the primers with the misfires.  In our post incident investigation, we determined that this particular carbine was badly out of headspace – several thousandths’ beyond what is allowed by a field gauge.  We also considered slam fire as a cause, but rejected after running a few other tests and determining how badly out of headspace the carbine was.  

We now check all carbines for headspace before firing the first time, as well as check the primers on the first few rounds fired.  It doesn't take long and both are good safety measures.   Also a good reminder of why safety glasses are so important when shooting.

Jim B. 

Jim B.
 Post Reply Post Reply