Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me Inland 1945

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me Inland 1945
    Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 4:28pm
Hi all
So I didn't plan to bring one home today but I had some help from another vendor and I felt comfortable with his assessment as he broke it down
(Seller said no problem) take it apart.
Bore gauge in end of barrel just under the number 1 line. Inland upper wood with 2 rivets is not correct he said? Also screw at rear of stock should be blue? Stock is inland marked but can't see stamp on side. He said all else looked good?
Take a look
Thanks
Hardknocks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 4:31pm

Edited by New2brass - Oct 16 2018 at 11:09am
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 4:47pm
Sounds like a very nice carbine.

Pictures are not that difficult to post.  The biggest problem is the picture size must be under 500kb.  I have to re-size all my pictures before they will post.

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2018 at 8:11pm
Hardknocks, If you need help with pictures you can send them to me to install in your file for posting.
Your 3rd party hosting evidently made t too small.

P.S. Nice real deal late housing
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 11:11am
Pics edited and posted
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 4:56pm
So this is my first M1
It seems to have many inland parts does this tell me anything?
Do the purists leave the carbine as is?
Any information is appreciated.
What us a general price range this would fall into?
Thanks
Mike
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 7:24pm
Generally, everything looks correct for such a late Inland carbine, with the exception of the handguard you mentioned. I wonder what went on behind the front sight, that's a pretty good finish blip. I wonder if it's some kind of temporary barrel attachment. Good looking Inland
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Hardknocks Hardknocks wrote:

So this is my first M1
It seems to have many inland parts does this tell me anything?
Do the purists leave the carbine as is?
Any information is appreciated.
What us a general price range this would fall into?
Thanks
Mike

Mike, there are times where the term purists is used as a four letter word.

Pricing on such late Inland and WRA carbines can be very subjective to lots of factors. Most guys want early flip sights, type one bands and dogleg hammers, on the other hand the later carbines are often in the best condition...it just depends on a particular buyer.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

I wonder what went on behind the front sight, that's a pretty good finish blip. I wonder if it's some kind of temporary barrel attachment.

That does look to be the spot where the hinged top strap of a recoil check or flash hider could have been.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 8:28pm
Being new to the carbine it seemed good to have mostly inland parts, can't really see a acceptance stamp on the stock.
Would I be safe to shoot this or do I need to get the headspace checked?
I gave $1,150.00
Thanks for taking the time.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 10:18pm
That is a nice looking late inland. I have seen those double stamped AI barrel bands before on rifles in this serial range. Interesting it has the type 6 housing. If you pull the slide back, you should find a handstamped '1' on the receiver ring, usually lower right of the M.

I always check the headspace to be certain. But fortunately I have never had one that didn't pass. More than likely, you'd be fine.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2018 at 7:08pm
Hello all
From what I have read all the carbines were rebuilt so how come this one has mostly inland parts? Any way to tell?
Thanks
Mike
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2018 at 9:24pm

Hello all
From what I have read all the carbines were rebuilt so how come this one has mostly inland parts? Any way to tell?
Thanks
Mike

Some were not rebuilt. You'll see more of these late serial rifles in original condition (or with a larger % of original parts) as they had the latest parts. I generally go by finish and wear patterns, rebuild/acceptance marks, and comparison against other rifles I know or have good reason to believe are original.

Also collectors "correct".
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2018 at 5:47pm
Hello all
the oiler is marked SI so that's another good thing.
the 1 on the M1 receiver ring stamp does not line up with the M as GotSnlB28 mentioned.
whats the opinion on the magazine pouch? repop?
thanks again
Mike
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 2:54pm
Hi all
took it apart to clean, more matching parts i believe.
from what i read this is somewhat unusual all the matching parts, or someone put it together.
anyhoo i am happy with the M1.
from the info I can gather from searching it looks like the stock is from a earlier inland.? I also read not all stocks had the cartouche.
thanks
Mike

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 3:57pm
Mike, Nice RI late sear!
The FI trigger I forget if earlier or later. made by Reflector Hardware and think they were also marked R.H.I. or something to that effect.

All carbines accepted by the military had the CC. It was proof of government ownership.
If a stock was replaced it would not have the CC.
If rebuilt or owner sanded the CC might be gone.

Good stuff, Thanks for sharing!
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 4:33pm
I learn something every time a sign in. I did not realize that a rebuild carbine with no crossed cannons on the stock indicated that it was never accepted by the military or owned by the government.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

I learn something every time a sign in. I did not realize that a rebuild carbine with no crossed cannons on the stock indicated that it was never accepted by the military or owned by the government.

Paul, You misunderstand what I wrote. the CC was applied at the factory when the government accepted the carbine. 
These carbines later may have undergone a rebuild where the stocks were sanded. Just because the CC was removed did not change the fact that it was owned by the government.

The CC meant nothing to the rebuild. If stateside the rebuild arsenal would put their mark on it.
Some stocks had many marks of the rebuild but you can still see the CC.

Wartime replacement spare stocks would not have the ordnance stamp (ownership) and would be used for field replacement for a broken or damaged stock.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 6:09pm

the oiler is marked SI so that's another good thing.
whats the opinion on the magazine pouch? repop?

Hardknocks your oiler is marked IS for International Silver not SI. As far as your Magazine Pouch (Pocket) goes and I could be wrong, but it looks real to me.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 7:41pm
Hi all
Thanks for all the good information.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>