Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Inland M3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Inland M3
    Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 11:54am
I picked up this Inland M3 recently, for what I thought was a very reasonable price.  I know nothing about the IR-equipped carbines, so I'm getting an education.  From what I can tell, everything looks correct for a Korean war-vintage M3 rebuild.  I don't know if the IR portion functions or not - I think before I would ever try it, I would have it checked by an electrician or somebody very familiar with these things.  These pictures were taken on an iPhone so aren't the greatest quality.  Now that I've got an Irwin Pedersen, an all-correct S'G' and this M3, (all within the space of 4 months or so) I think I may have to lay off for a while to allow the financials to recover.  Comments welcome.

Inland barrel, dated 11-44

better view of the barrel markings

barrel proof mark

markings on the barrel flat

heel proof mark

This is the only marking on the stock exterior I could see, other than the circle P proof on the heel.  Looks like RIA over EB to me.  No marking in the sling well that I can see.

Type III front barrel band markings

handle grip left, right and top

Butt plate.  I haven't tried to figure out if it's an Inland plate or not.

Marking on the front of the gas cylinder.  I see what looks to me like 'I-I'.   Any other guesses?

Handguard with cut-out for front bracket of scope mount.  The 'Z' mark is visible.  I don't know which handguard manufacturer used 'Z'.

Receiver and recoil plate bottom.  Marking on recoil plate looks to me like a 'W' and a partial 'J'.  Not sure which manufacturer that would be.

Front end of the stock barrel channel with the 'SA' mark.

Trigger housing with 'Inland' marking.

Bolt left lug with 'O.I.' and sideways '2' markings.

Hammer, hammer plunger and hammer plunger spring, 26.5 coils.

Rotary safety and mag catch with markings I'm not familiar with.

Sear with hole at rear (not visible here).

Slide box bottom exterior and interior markings.

Trigger marked 'R.I.' and sear spring with tapered ends.

Scope, case and power pack backpack.

old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 4:20pm
Great find.    How about some pics of the other two carbines? ThanksBig smile
Retired Army Guy
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 4:57pm
Your handguard with the Z in the channel is most likely Winchester.
slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 6:46pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by slklmoore slklmoore wrote:

I don't know if the IR portion functions or not - I think before I would ever try it, I would have it checked by an electrician or somebody very familiar with these things.  

I can help you get started with that!. An electrician, for the most part, would not be able to help due to the high voltages. You would be better off with a television repairman if you could still find one.

The voltages are in the 20,000-volt range which has the potential to stop your heart. So please exercise caution!

If you have not found the infrared section it is located here.

If you have not done so yet please take the time to fill out our survey for the M3. It is like a data sheet but easier and doable online.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get some pictures to get you started and I will email you some basics if you like.

slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2018 at 7:25pm
Dan,
Thanks for the offer of help.  I look forward to learning more about my M3 from those more knowledgeable.

I completed the IR survey yesterday, scanned it and emailed it this morning, along with some pictures, to the given email address.  I got an email reply at 0921 this morning saying my submission had been received, signed by 'Jim and Dan' - I assume the 'Dan' is you?  I attached 26 photos to my survey submission email - let me know if you didn't get them and I'll figure out another way to get them to you.
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply