The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

greetings from near the left coast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mad murdock View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: greetings from near the left coast
    Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 1:28pm
W5USMC-It had not occurred to me to ask for a custom SN, I just ordered it from them directly, and they sent it via a local FFL, as the receiver is the part of the rifle that is recorded by ATF, none of the other parts matter to them as they are just that, parts. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 1:25pm
mad Murdock, did you actually buy the receiver from Fulton? If so was there an option to pick or customize your own serial#?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 1:09pm
I'm sure you have a special fondness for something you built yourself. Being a retired cabinet maker, I know the feeling.
Welcome and happy shooting.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 12:37am
I found the barrel for 115.00 online auction and 249 for the FA receiver
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by mad murdock mad murdock wrote:

That said, I think I put it together for around 800-850, including the headpace reamer rental.

Welcome to the forums. It sure does sound like a rewarding build but I expected the total cost to be much higher. The parts kit from Northridge alone is $495.95 on their website, you must have got great deals on the receiver and barrel.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 6:32pm
the process wasn't too bad, I have the army tech manuals, which are great in providing all the data required to do the job right. I did call the guys at Fulton to confirm proper clocking of the receiver anad barrel.  That was the hardest part.  I had ordered the bolt disassembly and reassembly tool, and also the gas piston nut spanner, as well as a set of headspace gauges, and another special tool. That said, I think I put it together for around 800-850, including the headpace reamer rental.  Reaming the headspace took all of 15 minutes to do.  After the setup of the critical items, assembly was kind of like a reassembly after field strip and cleaning.  If one has a modicum of machining experience and is comfortable with disassembly and reassembly of semi-complex machinery, it can be accomplished. Ovwerall once I had all the pieces, and could schedule th etime, it took about 12 hours of concentrated time to accomplish.  Of course with all my daily routine and work, and stuff, i streched that out over about a month.  My day job is an aircraft mechanic, so nothing was really outside of my comfort zone, having built a few firearms (mostly black powder) in the past.  It pays to know your stuff inside and outSmile
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 4:11pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Building a M1 Carbine from scratch using all new or NOS parts must have been a daunting process. How did the cost compare to either a new commercial carbine or a USGI original in "near new" condition? Also, how long did the process take?
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 2:26pm
Hello, I read some of the threads on this forum over the last while, building my M1 (mutt) carbine from a parts kit and a new Criterion match grade barrel, and a new Fulton Armory receiver.  I became interested once more in the rifle after buying a newer Universal and gifting it to one of my sons, as I liked it, but wanted a true to form USGI issue, though I wanted a shooter, not a wall piece.  I am well pleased with my build, it is for practical purposes, new, or near new.  It looks great and functions excellently. I may have to build another one now.  What amazes me about the rifle, is the ballistics of the cartridge, the little .30 carbine round is just a smidge behind the 7.62x39 russian, and not by much at that. I really like the simplistic design of the cartridge and the rifle as well.  A great choice in a "SHTF" scenario, I think. I am very pleased with the decision to build one, and with the acquired knowledge gained in the process, a very worthy endeavor for anyone so minded to do so.
 Post Reply Post Reply