Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Different Stock Marking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Different Stock Marking
    Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 3:18pm
Here's one you don't see everyday.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 5:00pm
Killroy?
I think I have seen, but brain cells not forthcoming right now.
Nebraska Ordnance Plant?
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 5:41pm
Naval Ordnance Plant Macon maybe?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 7:51pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 8:16pm
Dan, the stock marks do look the same to me, aside from the numbers which I assume to be dates. So now what does it really stand for? I will say that hunterman's looks pretty cool with that Underwood .U. on top of the M. Kinda does look like Kilroy.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 11:06pm
THANK YOU so much for posting this brother....you sir have made my night more than you can imagine.   Tons of hours trying to figure this out.   It seems like we are still only half way there though.

I guess the little boy in me wants to believe this Inland I got is from a Destroyer's small arms locker, or hell I'd even settle for a refueler

Awesome retired Navy Vet with a service dog that I had the pleasure to get to know 2 weeks back at a Military Heritage collector show....long story short, his 10-13yr old has what is reported to be a unmolested Rockola found when he had a team detail stripping a vessel prior to demission or something, and the young deck cleaners found a carbine in a completely wrapped garment stuffed behind a boiler or generator, then turned it in to him, then he gave it to his superior, whom took the thing home. This guy and his superior remained tight til recently when he passed and willed the carbine to his son.

I believe it might have been a rearsenal…but I believe his account of "an unmolested Rockola" whether in WWII condition or post war condition. I just know his age, and the boat in question's age....unless the carbine was stashed behind the generator since WWII, it was most likely rearsenaled at some point like the vast majority.   Either way, it's an amazing trophy if real, and I believe him.   Good for him, and even better for his son. I hope he knows how special of a rifle he really has one day.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 11:19pm
Second Data point....now that is really something I never thought I was gonna see:)

Found on a beautiful, hardly blemished SA post war pot belly. SA in the front channel.    Outside of that, and the Rack number in front of magwell….no more markings except this mystery code.

I know it might not mean much, especially to you real gurus....but the moment I bought this carbine, it really spoke to a almost unissued rearsenal carbine minus first owner shooting it, but unaltering it.   Seen over 100 carbines now in person since March, and this one's arsenal finish is unlike any other I've yet seen. Even has some little neat arsenal touches like a refinished and brand new looking, and matching Inland TH housing, yet has the TM specified method of tightening a lose TH from receiver, with the peening, or staking on the sides of the TH.    Reason I give the details is not to brag over a sub $1k mixmaster, but rather to see if the other example is as unique as my rifle.

Man, I really enjoy this USGI carbine mystery stuff, and it's easily my favorite part of the love affair.   If only all gun guys knew about these little gems, and I hate myself every day more and more for not finding them sooner.

Thanks all for contributing, you make these USGI carbines so much more educational, and enjoyable:)
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2018 at 1:45pm
This mornings research:
Nebraska Ordnance Plant in Mead Nebraska produced ordnance. It is a Superfund site, meaning toxic or hazardous cleanup site. In government records the acronym used is NOP. 
Due to Korea they were producing bombs, missiles, projectiles, rocket motors.
In the 50's and early 60's it was an Atlas Missle Launch site. In 1964 the site was abandoned.
There is some conflicting info that the University of Nebraska bout the land in 1962. I believe this to be just some of the land as the facilities were later purchased for light industry.

Naval Ordnance Plant Macon is also a Superfund site. They also produced munitions, bombs etc.
In some official government records, I see it listed as MNOP. These are not Naval records.
The site was sold in 1973.

I do not see anything that would suggest they were rebuilding carbines. Both can feasibly have the mark shown above.

Both plants clearly would be candidates for military police. My father worked at a missile base as an MP in the late 50's-60's, His weapon was a carbine.

Then there are the "White Bag" carbines that cam in a while ago at the CMP. These carbines were in excellent shape, although very dry. Many of the stocks had crisp CC's. Rebuild marks reported were AA and OG.
Many of the bags were observed with the markings "OSD NORVA"
It was soon determined that this was an acronym for Ordnance Supply Depot Norfolk VA. 

Again this was on the bag, not the carbine. OSD NORVA was probably packaging them, no indication they had anything to do with the rebuild.

So the question is if the NOP-M-62 was a property mark, inspection mark or a rebuild mark.

How did the Navy vs Army mark things if any mark?

Was there a rebuild program post Korea and during or for Vietnam?

This is where I would defer to the Garand guys to see if they have observed the markings.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2018 at 6:48pm
Until proven otherwise, I am going with a property mark, maybe the number is actually a rack # not the year. I cannot imagine a post Korea rebuild program without such a program already being documented.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Until proven otherwise, I am going with a property mark, maybe the number is actually a rack # not the year. I cannot imagine a post Korea rebuild program without such a program already being documented.

Oh, I agree... but do think the numbers are a year
We see 2 variations and the number 61 and 62. What are the odds?
Never say never.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2018 at 9:03pm
Dan, when I look hard at the number on LMTmonoMan's I see a 51 not 61.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2018 at 10:18pm
Here is another one with slightly different letter spacing.  This one has a faint serif P in front of the pistol grip.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2018 at 11:41am
Ok my head is spinning now trying to find out any factual info about the NOPM marking. This topic has been kicked around on a number of forums for many years with no hard proof as to it's real meaning. I have seen Naval Ord Plant Macon mentioned a number of times and I have seen someone say it stands for a Navy/Marine Corps rebuild. I also read a post somewhere were the poster had a NOPM 65 but he did not post a picture. The search continues!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Pacrtg View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacrtg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2020 at 8:09pm
Sorry to enter this discussion so late but I just discovered the thread during my search on the same subject.  I have an M1 Carbine (Inland 11/43) however the mark is not on that firearm.  I just acquired a Remington 513-T WWII .22 cal training rifle.  These were used along side the M1922M2 in the 1940's in a training role.  I don't have the rifle yet but the seller sent me a photo (sorry, it's pretty blurry) of an "unknown mark" on the left side of the stock.  The mark of course is NOPM-61.

The fact the mark is on another style of "U.S.Government Property" firearm would lead me to suspect the meaning is related to location.  One other thought is it might be related to the location various surplus firearms were prepared for release to the CMP.  The Remington 513-T was also sold via CMP some years ago.  

Has anyone make any progress on the issue?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Pacrtg Pacrtg wrote:

Has anyone make any progress on the issue? 

Welcome to the forum Pacrtg. Not sure if anyone has found out for sure what the NOPM marking really stands for, I have searched everywhere for a answer and continue to come up empty. I do like hunterman"s thought of "Naval Ordnance Plant Macon", but would like some hard proof.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2020 at 11:24pm
Just seen on GB auction # 879366900
No pictures posted with the stock removed.
Inland 12,961 with single Op slide detach notch.
I have to look in to the Inland single notch later, but IIRC it would be a early Type III receiver with round mill cut on slide track and full hand guard lip on frt of receiver: Correct ?
But while looking I seen...
H.I. Stock
.U. rebuild mark and this:
Appears to be- NOP-M-62

Inland M1 US Carbine 30 Cal Rifle-img-10

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2022 at 3:03pm
Another NOP-M marking, this one is on a Winchester stock on ebay. Still don't think we have a factual answer on what this marking really stands for.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2022 at 6:21pm
Naval Ordnance Plant, Macon, Ga.  Maybe.. Ron
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2023 at 7:37pm
I agree on the Naval Ord Plant.  Had bee told several years ago on this.  I have a similar, Nice, Inland stock with this marking.
I really like carbines
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2023 at 7:10pm
Unfortunately, Navy Officer Jim Adell with the GCA was not able to answer our question on Naval Ordnance Plants (NOP). He did some duty at the Naval Ammunition Depot (NAD) at Hawthorne, NV in the mid-1970s.

At that time, the only production lines were for USAF bombs and shipboard artillery for the Argentine Navy. There was no work with small arms.

The NAD was turned over to the Army in about 1975.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>