The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy from LI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy from LI
    Posted: Oct 01 2018 at 8:51pm
Hello All,
I recently inhereted 2 M1's from my Father in Law that I am actually in charge of selling for his estate.  I've never owned a gun in my life but I've learned a lot about the M1, and a bunch of other stuff, in a really short time.  Its been a lot of fun actually.  I'm wondering if you guys can help me with the value.  I'll go one at a time.
M1 #1 is a Rock Ola receiver and an Underwood barrel. The SN tells me it probably late 1943.  The patina, to a novice like me, looks pretty original.  No bayonet lug.  Here is the weird thing.  The top hand guard is totally flat on top (see pics if I manage to figure that out). Is this an accommodation for some sort of hardware?  Is it just a home made replacement?  And the shape at the grip seems much different than the others I've seen.  The safety is a toggle safety 
M1 #2 is an Underwood receiver and an Underwood barrel.  SN is 1942 and lines up with it being Underwood.  The metal on the receiver and barrel looks refinished and the bolt is like brand new stainless steel.  trigger group has a better patina, IMHO.  The stock looks like most of the others I've seen, in fact it has the US Ordinance stamp on it.  Has the regular hand guard.  Unfortunately someone put a shiny finish on it which makes it look weird.  Probably not that hard to fix that.

So how the heck to I get Pictures uploaded to here?  It says the File size is too big.  I guess I have to use flicker like I've seen others do?

Thanks in advance for the input.  I'll be trying to upload photos in the next hour or so.

Underwood

Edited by New2brass - Oct 02 2018 at 5:11pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2018 at 8:59pm
I use PAINT to cut the size down, but that's a bit old school. Open in PAINT, click RESIZE, Go to PIXELS, change the largest numerical value to 1000 and save. Then they will upload.
Before I start I save the image as a copy so I don't goof up the original.
kdunning91 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2018 at 9:01pm
Lets see if dropbox works for the photos.  

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2018 at 9:39pm
Thanks, The dropbox link worked pretty well actually.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2018 at 10:12pm
Welcome to the forums. Interesting carbines that you have there. Looking at the pictures I think you have the descriptions mixed up. Looks like Rock-ola has the shiny stock and your Underwood has the flat handguard. On the Rock-ola is that bolt stainless or chromed as it really looks almost silver color in the pic? Also interesting that there looks to be a "3" in a circle with a "4" next to it on the heel of the Rock-ola receiver, is there by chance any import marks on that carbine? As far as that flat handguard goes, hopefully one of the real experts on here has something to add, I've never seen such a thing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 6:47am
No I definitely have the Rock Ola in the stock with flat hand guard. I don’t see any import marks but not sure where to look or what to look for
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 9:38am
Your carbine with the serial #1751833 is the Rock-ola receiver, in your pictures it lays in the shiny stock with the regular handguard. Open this link and page down for info on import marks.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 10:47am
Pics added.
Hmm, look at the circle stamp under the 4. looks to be other than the 3 in a circle which we have seen.

X on side of Rockola receiver. 
Bolt does look chromed. I have seen this before, some say they have done it for smoother action as the hard chrome resists grit. 

Sure looks as if the flat stock is on Underwood. Shame someone cut the nose and sanded the sides, bottom.
TH looks to be Underwood.
Is the barrel band without the bayo lug marked?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 4:24pm
Yes I did have it backwards. You guys think I should put the Underwood in the better stock and just take the shine down on it?

Any clue what the value might be on either?

Is the odd ball stock a huge minus? Maybe buy a new stock fornit?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 5:01pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by kdunning91 kdunning91 wrote:

You guys think I should put the Underwood in the better stock and just take the shine down on it?
Any clue what the value might be on either?
Is the odd ball stock a huge minus? Maybe buy a new stock fornit?

I say leave the stocks alone, that is just my opinion. Are there any markings on the stocks in the sling wells? Would need much more info to even suggest a value, markings on internal small parts, markings on trigger housings, are there import marks on either carbine.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 4:05pm
Hi and welcome to the Collector's forum from New Mexico!

Have you had a chance to fill out Data Sheets for these carbines?
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdunning91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 2:38pm
Where would I find a Data sheet?

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 3:03pm
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the Data Sheet:

Here is a guide to help you fill out the Data Sheet:

Take your time.  It is a bit intimidating at first, but you will soon get the hang of it.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply