Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

unknown rebuild stock stamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unknown rebuild stock stamp
    Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 2:30pm
My new SG T2 stock has 2 overlapping stamps on the left side. One of them is OG EK (I know that one), and the other appears to be a larger A. J. L. in a rectangle. See several pics, different angles/light. Can anyone ID that stamp?
Thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 3:39pm
take picture with same lighting, but put carbine upside down. this will change the effect of shadow in the impressions. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 4:21pm
The last image looks like "I.A. J.L." (no serif) in a box. Here's what I see:

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 4:24pm
Here is what I am seeing from your pictures when I play with lighting and contrast. Take a closer look at yours to confirm or deny. 

So B.A. J.L which would be Benicia Arsenal which are reported on M1903 rebuilds.

There is also a B.A. J.P.L so the conjecture is JL came first and new guy needed to use middle initial.
I have not been able to locate said rebuild mark in light searching.

There is also conjecture that pre war it was on one line and post war BA over the initials.
So the question begs is how a pre war stamp wound up on a carbine stock. Being that it is seemingly obscure why would it be faked? I have a few other theories but lets see if the marks can be confirmed first.
I know little about the M1903 and rebuild marks on them so maybe someone with better footing can chime in.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 4:54pm
Dan, I need better pics to confirm, but it make sense. The only thing is I don't think the box is wide enough to fit a "B".
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 5:01pm
The more I look at it the more I start to see a B. Now my question becomes did BA have periods after the letters. No periods shown on the drawings in CCNL 41 and no periods in our post war ops section in the picture of the BA marking.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 5:50pm
@ jack, Copy the 3rd pic at top. Enlarge. alternatively look at the picture you posted, I can make out the line to left of yours.

@Wayne, pulled off the net. No idea if legit. It is on a 1903. Read how I said earlier may have been like this and later BA/XX. There are several variations and those associated are not all posted on main pages.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 5:59pm
Dan, This is like looking at a Rorschach test blotter. The more I look, the more I see. Yes, I see a vertical line to the left. I also think I can see a hyphen in the middle. Is that a dancing girl to the far left?
JackP
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 4:05pm
Guys,
So sorry to be getting back to this so late, but I took more photos upside down as suggested. I'm not sure they improve anything. 
I too can see what looks like a vertical line to the left of the A but also a curved line from the bottom of that vertical line going to the left. ???? It is hard to tell where the left vertical for the box is. 
It seems the only options we have are the 2 letter arsenals BA, AA, RA and SA. Can we eliminate some of these and go from there?
If the lightbulb goes off over someone's head, I'll be greatful.
Regardless, thanks for trying and all the comments.
Reed

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 4:46pm
I found this in the Benicia Archives. Am still looking.

"M1 carbine stock used at the Benicia Arsenal. Marked with BA -- JPL. Overseas cap ordnance piping"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 4:51pm
I also found this. So it appears that M1s did see the light of day in the Benicia Arsenal.

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 5:05pm
Picture of a soldier at Benicia Arsenal holding a M1 Carbine.

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 5:33pm
Could it possibly be SA instead of BA?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2018 at 8:44am
FYI to those who replied to my Sep 18 post, same subject.
I found some references to carbines and a photo of a soldier with one at Benicia Arsenal. 
Also, I re-photoed the stamp from upside down as suggested but don't believe it helps much.
Would appreciate any new revelations any one might have.
Thanks

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2018 at 4:45pm
The BA JL has been observed on the 1903. I have never seen an SA in rectangle for what it is worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply