The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt Cleaning
    Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 2:57pm
After cleaning all the cosmoline off my "new" USGI Bolt Tool, I put it to work on my NPM Bavarian carbine.

I followed along with the Bolt Disassembly video listed on this forum.  It was a great help.  One observation, the disassembly and assembly of the carbine bolt without that tool has got to be darn near impossible.  I'm sure folks have done it, but it would be very frustrating for me.

The disassembly was very straight forward.  I placed all the parts in a pan of Hoppe's Bore Cleaner and let them soak overnight.  When I put the parts into the Hoppe's last evening, the liquid was an light amber color.  This morning it was black!  I guess it needed cleaning.

I then scrubbed all the parts with a toothbrush.  Next, I cleaned all the orafice's in the bolt with Q-Tips and pipe cleaners.  Lots of black residue came out of the openings; I got them all clean.

Following the video closely, I reassembled the bolt as shown.  Everything went back into place just as described. Smile

While everything was apart, I closely examined the NPM bolt (N14) for burrs and cracks.  Using a small magnifying glass, I saw nothing unusual.

My Rock-Ola's bolt is next.
Semper Fi, Bruce
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 7:41pm
For the datasheet, I like to use the bolt tool, but leave the bolt in the tool just to pull out the firing pin to look at the marking. Then, just slip it back in and no fiddling about trying to get it back together. With a loupe or magnifying glass, collector's can make out all of the other parts.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BER911 BER911 wrote:

the disassembly and assembly of the carbine bolt without that tool has got to be darn near impossible.  I'm sure folks have done it, but it would be very frustrating for me.

It could be done, Though I would advise against it

+1 on what M1a1 said if just looking for marks.
If taking all the way down to clean pay careful attention to orientating the plunger correctly. I sometimes use a small flat blade screwdriver to help correct orientation if it rotates while assembling.
After back together manipulate the extractor to make sure it is locked on the plunger or it may come out in use.

Another tip would be to use the tool inside a 1 gallon zip lock bag or other suitable plastic bag in case parts want to learn to fly.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 9:19pm
Thanks for the tips gentlemen.  I like using the bolt tool inside a ziploc bag to avoid losing any parts.

My tear down of the NPM bolt was for cleaning purposes; that's why I did a complete disassembly.

I did use a steel pick to rotate the extractor plunger into the proper orientation.

Semper Fi, Bruce
carbinenewb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinenewb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 9:26pm
Anybody know if it might be easier to "manually" take apart a bolt if it has a type 1 plunger?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 6:37am
The obvious reason they changed the design was that the extractor was prone to popping-out on it’s own. The M14 uses the button-nose plunger and the extractor can be pushed out over the plunger. There is a lot more room to work with in the larger extractors like the M14. I would think the T1 extractor could be punched-out much like an M14.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 8:18am
Before disassembling the bolt, I like to submerge it in an olive jar filed with Hoppe's # 9 and adjatate with an electric tooth brush for a few minutes.

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 5:53pm
For bolt disassembly, there's nothing like the bolt tool. Occasionally find them listed on the web for around $30, but those days might be over. GI ones are probably best but the non GI ones work just as well. One suggestion if going the bolt tool route...get an extra pawl or two. I'm on my second one, but I think I've got the hang of it now.
 Post Reply Post Reply