Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Saginaw S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Saginaw S'G'
    Posted: Sep 01 2018 at 9:43pm
I picked this up at a local auction recently and posted a few pictures of it and my Irwin-Pedersen on another thread on this forum.  I like that both guns came from the same factory and are only about 22,000 serial numbers apart.  I was able to borrow a better camera and took these pictures.

This mark is on the left side of the receiver below the wood line.  Not sure what it means.

This is the right rear of the receiver, behind the operating slide slot.  I'm not sure if this is a sideways 'D' or part of a flaming bomb ordnance mark.

Recoil plate and marking on the bottom of the recoil plate.

Cartouches on the right side of the stock.

Sling well.

Upper handguard inside edge.

Stock heel.

High wood with 2-rivet handguard.  There is a mark on the operating slide arm just visible here.

Here is a better view of the mark on the operating slide arm.  Possibly a sideways 'flaming bomb'?

Barrel maker marking and proof mark.

Front sight left side.  Right side is unmarked.  Top has an 'N' mark behind the blade.

Rear sight left and right sides.

Butt plate rim.

Bolt and right lug.

Extractor and plunger.

Firing pin.

Trigger housing left and right rear with marking.

3 views of the hammer.

Hammer spring - 22 coils.

Mag catch.  Hard to see but there is an 'I' (without serifs) to the left of the 'P'.

Narrow, flat (not grooved) mag well rear wall.

This upside down 'B' is on the left side of the operating slide box.  I'm not sure what it means.

Safety.

Sear and sear spring with tapered ends.

Trigger with IP/S'G' notch and trigger spring.

I haven't shot it yet, and am open to suggestions from the forum as to whether I should or not.  My Irwin-Pedersen is more of a mixmaster, so I'm more inclined to shoot that one and keep this one for show.  Thanks in advance for your input/thoughts.
Scott
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2018 at 11:19pm
I love that fat boy hammer and the 22 coil spring. A really nice carbine and nice pictures Thanks for sharing.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 5:05am
I have a mark very similar to the one on your operating slide handle inside my SG hand guard. I have considered it may be a flaming bomb, but it looks like a tool mark. There would have been no reason for a tool mark on your slide. Looks like an Underwood recoil plate sneaked in there, but if it looks like the rest of the gun, it probably belongs there. My SG has one component that could be called suspect, a type one unmarked sear. Documentation calls for a type 2, but the part looks just like all the other parts and I believe it to be original.

I would for sure test fire the gun to make sure it functions, but I would not use it as a shooter. You have a fine piece there.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 11:09am
Looks pretty honest and very similar to the one I have about 20,000 later with I think an 8-43 Underwood barrel. Wonder if that receiver mark is a remnant of the stamps in the same area on some earlier IP Carbines? Could that mark be part of a flaming bomb? ETA, yes, that's a flaming bomb stamp. Mine has it but deeper.

Also, I don't think I've ever found a Carbine that didn't have 1 anomaly contained in it, from engraved initials (like LEVI or SS# on the trigger housing and FIRE scratched on the safety of an early Win), sanded off cartouches, shaved ears and even a type I band turned into a bayonet band. The Prime I have like yours it looks like someone changed the hammer, which I suspect could've been an IP hammer or it was accidentally changed during a tear down party. Believe it has an IP rear sight base with a Prime marked leaf.

ETA, like yours mine has the visible circle around the P stamp on the barrel, which is 8-43 dated. The slide has the same bomb stamp location too. Slide and receiver stamps are both J. Safety is IP-A, catch is B-IP, sear is S'G', front sight is only N marked and the oddball barrel band is marked UI. Recoil is S'G' type III. Rear sight base is B-IP, leaf is B-S'G'.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 1:07pm
Nice find! Gotta love a fat boy S Prime hammer. Thanks for sharing.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by slklmoore slklmoore wrote:

Here is a better view of the mark on the operating slide arm.  Possibly a sideways 'flaming bomb'?

Yes, a flaming bomb. My S'G' is only 2000 later than yours, with an Underwood 8-43 barrel and has the same, though lighter, stamping. I also have a "B" on the left side and "S'G'" in the bottom well of the slide (though the latter is very hard to see with the swirl marks from the endmill cleanup machining).
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2018 at 9:59am
My stock doesn't have the circle P on the grip. Again, 22000 units later.
swamprat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 12:20pm
Awesome score.
Where are all these auctions with these incredible original guns
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2018 at 9:29am
One sold on GBroker about 3 months ago for $729 buy it now from a West Coast pawn shop. During that time I saw about 3 others from the West Coast from different sellers/auctions in original condition sold for low money. I got one but was unable to get the others.
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2018 at 9:15am
Very nice rifle. Congrats!
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2018 at 9:49am
Nnnnn-ice.
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
 Post Reply Post Reply