The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors > Displays and Museums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OCGA 2011 - Inland & Dayton Deliver Victory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OCGA 2011 - Inland & Dayton Deliver Victory
    Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 7:52am
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Annual Display Show
Roberts Centre, Wilmington, Ohio
May 11th, 2011

Photos courtesy of the display's owner, Paul Imbragulio. Thanks Paul!

(To view a larger version click on the image)

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 9:39am
Great display, really like that "cut-away" on the top left.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 7:18pm
I remember this Carbine display. Thanks for posting the photos.

OGCA is an excellent display venue, with opportunities not only during the annual display meeting and competition in May, but to a limited extent at other meetings. They make room for collector associations in the July meeting, and some other meetings, as well. We (The American Thompson Association) have done several displays at OGCA, the most recent of which was a month ago, with 2 aisles of tables. Always a fun time...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 11:44pm
Yet another stunning, and amazing display. These guys are no doubt super stars in the NCL (National Carbine League), and can't even imagine the time, money, and research it took to amass, and present such exquisite carbine collection displays.   I can't even feel jealously when I see these types of collections, as the only thing I think about is respect, and the spilt blood and treasure to bring it to light.

Also I'm becoming more and more of an Inland fan the more I learn about USGI carbines.   Not only did they make some of the nicest carbines during their contracts, but basically became the default Skunkworks of the USGI M1 carbine by creating and designing numerous variants.   A shooter M1A1 is at the very top of my most wanted firearms...and if I got to be realistic than I'd settle for a boat anchor Inland T3, or an ammo wasting Inland M2

The cherry on top for why I really like Inlands now is that my mother was born in Dayton, and I got dragged up there 2-3x a year growing up to see my grandparents who lived near Kettering HS for those familiar.   For a boy from Alabama, Dayton was quite the culture shock. Without my mom, or Inland carbines, I could take or leave Dayton

Thanks so much for sharing the pics, and to Mr. Paul Imbragulio. Now that's a man I'd love to go shooting with!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 4:54pm
Somehow I missed this one. Thanks to Paul for sharing and putting together the display. Immaculate.

First picture: A really early Inland?

Second to last picture:
Who are the people in the second to last picture? Think the second gentleman from the left is Paul, but who are the others? Paul is wearing a ribbon, I'm assuming for best carbine display. The other gentleman are wearing ribbons. Were they awarded for a carbine display or something else?

Same picture. That's a fine looking presentation carbine. Assuming it is an Inland?

To the left of the presentation is a green box with writing on it. They made ammo specifically labeled for an M1A1?
PBICarbine View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 10:27pm
The four people pictured are Mike Riley my Atty. from Cinn. Ohio, then me in khaki shirt Paul Imbragulio, the next in blue polo is Dave Zeller from Littleton CO. and last in blue and white shirt is Rick forgot his last name retired Sherriff from Cleveland Ohio. The people with ribbons were my helpers and security.  The display had an INLAND M1 Carbine from every serial number block ranging from a tool room,then #32 to 7,019,XXX hand stamped M1. The presentation is INLAND XB 20 given to A.W. PHELPS retired G.M. of Saginaw Gear before WILLIAM DORFNER G.M. during WWII. Mr. Phelps transffered to Inland Man. Div. Detroit MI. . The green box was for ammo to be stored in the C-47 for the Paratroopers.  Then a T-3 INLAND and display cases that had INLAND NOS parts in the wrappers and Factory tools. Then a DVD player with the WWII Inland film VICTORY IS OUR BUSINESS playing for the public to watch which was the INLAND factory slogan during WWII and theme of my display.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 10:40pm
And I forgot all styles of INLAND M1A1 Paratroopers. Early, Mid & Late production versions. It was fun and time consuming and the cost was basically the national debt of the U.S.A. lol!  1st picture I am holding presentation Inland XB 20.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2019 at 2:56pm
Do you do any more displays ever?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2019 at 7:52pm
No, and I wish I could because I spent 31 years studying and collecting just the M1 Carbine. I use to go to 40 or more gunshows a year from North Carolina to Califormia in pursuit of the M1 Carbine rifle and ANYTHING related to the production and manufacturing of the rifle. I began doing displays in 2006 and really enjoyed it but had to quit due to my health. I do go to some shows and spend alot of time meeting and helping other collectors. Just went to the AGCA show last weekend and met people at the show I met over 10 years ago who stopped me just to talk.  Besides my career in broadcasting, collecting the M1 Carbine has been a larbor of love.  My display days are over and I will leave it to the new collectors.   
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2019 at 4:33am
Originally posted by PBICarbine PBICarbine wrote:

... the cost was basically the national debt of the U.S.A. lol! ...
LOL indeed.  Thanks for sharing with us.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2019 at 6:41am

Here is the INLAND film that was played at the display. Watch the film and you will see the Inland plant workers assembling the M1 Carbine. ENJOY  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsHUGSxCc4

old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2019 at 7:25am
Well Paul, you have done it again by surprising us with that great film. Best Wishes, Fred
Retired Army Guy
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2019 at 12:24pm
Please Keep This On Topic!
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. 

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2019 at 3:57pm
Well now wasn't that fun.  I thought I had clicked on Twitter for a moment.  Enough of that, I have to say I really like the picture of the INLAND plant with their iconic building facade.  I can't remember and didn't look, but if it isn't included maybe someone should add it to the picture thread of all the old carbine plants.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2019 at 8:48pm
For anyone interested here is an article on what the manufacturers look like "today". It's in the "Newsworthy Items" section on the forums main page.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/where-are-they-today_topic1381.html

I started the thread on displays hoping others would continue to build on the idea of sharing their displays for all to see. So much work goes into them with so much knowledge and history displayed its a shame when logistics, health, costs involved or other legit reasons limit the time the displays are shown.

I'd like to start a thread on museums with the same thing in mind. If someone would like to start a thread on photos of the original prime contractors and sub contractors I think it a great idea. My problem is a lack of time for all I need and want to do with the website and helping with the forum.

Jim

A P.S. with a request for no responses to it, one way or the other.

What started this forum and this website and continues to be our mission is a platform to get people to come together to share information and learn. Along with building on all the work that has already been done to reconstruct the history of the carbines and everything related.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Myself included and with me, sometimes to an extreme in both directions. Sometimes I need to remind myself that this forum and website is for pooling our strengths for the good of the mission and all others current and future. Which also involves not letting any weaknesses, momentary or permanent, get in the way of pooling those strengths. We can and do accomplish far more together than as individuals or small groups.

People and opinions are inseparable. Sharing opinions can be constructive and help the learning and understanding (strength). Or it can become a death blow to the entire mission. This is exactly what happened to the website on the history of the Berlin Brigade. All lost to the future. My kids read it before it was gone and were amazed. Their kids won't get too.

If I focus on the criticisms and negatives that come with doing the web pages and the entire website none of this would be here. So I stay focused on why it needs to be here. That "why" is focused on the history with so much yet to be learned, pooling strengths, and the future.

The forum is an extension of this and brought to you by the work of people other than me. The time they have to spend reminding people to stay focused comes with the forum. While also taking away from their research time.

Sometimes I have to remind myself to keep my ego in my pocket for the greater good. Been saying that to myself and trying too long time.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 4:51pm
I'd lke to do a display..somewhere...someday. It does seem Ike a lot of time and cost, but I think the hardest part is the display. Don't reallly have much off the paraphania that goes with carbine collecting.

I'm curious about your display racks. Custom made by you or someone else? Set em up, mount each carbine and secure each to the rack. Also like the barrier and think some kind of security staff are a must to keep the overly curious from trying to pick them up in spite of the signs.

Was anything inside of the M1A1 ammo box? Just wondering how the ammo would have been stored inside the box.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 5:46pm

NM

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

I'd lke to do a display..somewhere...someday. It does seem Ike a lot of time and cost, but I think the hardest part is the display. Don't reallly have much off the paraphania that goes with carbine collecting.

I'm curious about your display racks. Custom made by you or someone else? Set em up, mount each carbine and secure each to the rack. Also like the barrier and think some kind of security staff are a must to keep the overly curious from trying to pick them up in spite of the signs.

Was anything inside of the M1A1 ammo box? Just wondering how the ammo would have been stored inside the box.

m1a1fan,

I'd encourage a Carbine display effort. OGCA is a good starting point, and with the controlled membership, you don't have to worry much about people trying to handle the displayed items. You still need to keep your guard up, but it's generally not an issue. We have done many OGCA Thompson displays, with the most recent one last July.

I will be participating in my 9th NRA Convention display with The American Thompson Association in Indianapolis next month. If you, or anyone else who is interested in displaying are planning to attend, please stop by and say hello. I will have on a suit and a nametag, and will be there with the display most of the time on all 3 days. All of us in TATA could provide insight into what's needed to display firearms for tens of thousands of people to view.

One thing I'll say about doing displays...At almost every NRA Convention, some kind of treasure, or valuable information becomes known because of the "public" venue. We've saved a couple of transferable Thompsons, and had rare items such as an FBI Thompson brass deflector come forth, among other things. I would expect Carbine items would be even more prevalent. When you're at an NRA Convention, you get a pretty deep participation of NRA members in the area, and many of them attend on multiple days. So, if they see your Carbine display, and have something Carbine related, they tend to approach and talk about it, and sometimes they'll bring in their item the next day. It's kind of a unique opportunity, and since you've gone to the trouble of setting up a display, are approachable, and are considered a subject matter expert under the circumstances, unique opportunities may arise.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PBICarbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 6:35pm

NM

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 7:55pm
Contacted a carpenter friend and have some ideas for building a display. Will take some time to figure out how to make it work and then get something built.

OGCA is a members only show. One must be invited. Figure I'll need to have all the things ready before figuring out that part. Not enough hours in the day...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>