Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 Inland carbine??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldpfeifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 Inland carbine??
    Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 9:03pm
I came across an Inland M1 Carbine with a serial number or 259851.  The receiver is marked Inland on it.  The barrel is marked Inland with a MFG of 2-43.  The stock is a high wood with a RMC on it.  The price is $1400.  Its a nice rifle with a good bore and suppose to be a vet bring back.  But why the different stock with the Inland works??  Is this a possible remake or someone's Frank n stein??  Any help would be appreciated.  Looking at serial numbers on this sight, even the Inland doesn't match with the date unless it is a T4 and the stock is a Rock-Ola but the hand guard is stamped with an IO or OI for the Inland??
Lyle
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2018 at 12:04am
Lyle,
An M1a1 is a carbine in a folding stock.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

Look at serial numbers again. Inland first production block was serial numbers 11 to 999 999

Checking serial numbers to barrel dates I would expect to see a barrel in the 2-43 date range.

Inland did get some rockola stocks and usually have a "I" in the slingwell as well as RMC.though I think they may appeared later in production. If the stock left the inland factory it would have had the inland inspector crossed cannon cartousch.

Does this carbine have an adjustable sight, bayonet lug and flip safety?

By the carbine not the story. The likelyhood of a bringback is very low and with out proof it's just a story to help sell it.

Click on top banner and navigate to menu on left side. Click post war ops and you will see why or how parts got mixed up.

Welcome to the forums
ldpfeifer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldpfeifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2018 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the info. If you go to gunbroker, item 781924123 you can see this rifle. I am going to pass on it as it appears after looking at the post above it has been redone at some point. Lower stock is RMC with “I” Oiler hole but upper hand guard is stamped IO or OI which leads me to Inland. Some other stamping I cannot make sense of??
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by ldpfeifer ldpfeifer wrote:

Thanks for the info. If you go to gunbroker, item 781924123 you can see this rifle. I am going to pass on it as it appears after looking at the post above it has been redone at some point. Lower stock is RMC with “I” Oiler hole but upper hand guard is stamped IO or OI which leads me to Inland. Some other stamping I cannot make sense of??

Lol, someone might want to delete that auction number since that carbine is going to do pretty good without any kind of assist, innocent or not. Also, I suspect some aren't bidding on the barrled action as much as the wood it sits in.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2018 at 1:25pm
Would like to see better pictures, especially the stock and metal near the nose. 90 pictures...most of them blurry and/or taken in poor lighting conditions.
ldpfeifer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ldpfeifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2018 at 6:41pm
I apologize if your not to post the item number. I was interested if it was original and my knowledge is mostly what I read on this sight. I thought some here may be interested in it as it’s going for more than I am willing to spend and it was something special?? I did see one part that has a “W” on it that led me to believe it may be a rebuild of parts from several rifles.    
 Post Reply Post Reply