Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Erma EM-1 carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneBigElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Erma EM-1 carbine
    Posted: Aug 03 2018 at 6:05pm
I just picked up one of these at an Estate Sale.

Thank goodness for the page on these rifles on this site.  Mine was missing the magazine, the rear sight, and the upper handguard.  It was also the dirtiest and most fouled firearm I've ever seen.  Thanks to the page here I knew to check the operating slide for breakage and I've been able to strip and clean it.  I ordered one of the Tech Sights rear sight units and ordered a Mossberg 702 magazine that I'm going to try to modify.  I even stopped into a local gun shop this week and darned if their miscellaneous box didn't have 3 more Mossberg magazines for $7/ea so I have some spares to work with. 

Does anyone know if a standard carbine handguard will fit- either wood or metal?  Or can it be modified to fit?

Biggest problem I'm having right now is finding the metal to modify the Mossberg magazines.

I'm hoping to use this at an Appleseed shoot in a couple of months, so I've got a little time to work out the bugs.

Thanks,
John
John
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2018 at 6:21pm
Hi John and welcome to the Carbine Collectors forum from New Mexico!

It looks like you have a fun project to work on. Can you shoot it without a hand guard?
JackP
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2018 at 2:25am
John

There is a machinist in Stuart, FL who owns an English Race Car restoration business. He also owns a half dozen EM1's he's tinkering with for the various parts. He's not on the forum due to time constraints. If you'd like I'll ask him for the okay to pass along his e-mail address.

The metal that attaches to the back of the Mossberg magazines is a simple aluminum U shaped channel that many hardware stores carry. Just take the magazine with you to check the width. Home Depot has them.

No, a carbine handguard will not fit the EM1. I know of several people who custom made a stock and handguard for their EM1 but it takes the right tools and knowledge on how to make a gun stock.

The handguards pop up now and then on EBay and Gunbroker. As do the stocks. The fella in Stuart may have an extra one. I'll ask him.

Jim
OneBigElf View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneBigElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2018 at 9:15am
Absolutely, Jim.  And thank you.

John

Jack, yes, I can shoot it like it is, but it's not right. ;-)
John
OneBigElf View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneBigElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2018 at 12:35pm
OK, I'm set up to pick up the handguard, the stock took a refinishing with BLO very nicely, everything is clean and I'm working on modifying Mossberg magazines.  

Has anyone done the magazine modification?  I've got the magazines fitting the magazine well, still a tiny bit snug, but I'll tinker more once I see how they feed.  By hand with federal bulk 22 it seems to work well.  I've got the U channel pieces cut, but I'm curious exactly what others have used to attach the aluminum to the steel mags.

Cruising right along.  I do want to pick up a new spring.  The bolt return seems just a wee bit.... lazy.  Not sure if that's normal, but a new spring is cheap enough.

Thanks,
John

John
OneBigElf View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneBigElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2018 at 5:50pm

John
Glen in Fla View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glen in Fla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 5:50pm
Hey John that's one fine looking Erma!
How does it shoot?
Glen
ps- I especially like that nice handguard...Wink

Here's a photo back at ya!

Post Reply Post Reply