Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Carbine
    Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 5:45pm
Charles Wilson
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 6:13pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 6:17pm
Thank You for the info. I will give it a try. I have a IMac computer.
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 7:46pm
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 7:48pm
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2018 at 7:52pm
This is the Universal Carbine thats 50 years old only been shot 1 single time that my long time neighbor
gave me. I just got it back to from my Gun Smith for a cleaning, oil, etc. It took me over two hours to
try to figure out how to post pics on a IMAC computer. Im sorry I couldn't figure it out to get it all in one
post but anyways, here it is. I have more pics but it was way to complicated for me just to get these up.
Charles Wilson
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2018 at 12:09am
Chuck70: I run a Mac Mini which I like. No fan no noise. I gave up trying to figure out how to post pictures with a Mac. Will be seeing my cousin next weekend with my written notes from the forum and hopfully he will set me on the right path. He does wildlife photography as a working hobby. brantimages.com  
     Very interesting stock you have. Is it made up of two different woods laminated? Birch top and walnut lower?  James K.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2018 at 8:37am
It is a good looking stock but I suspect it is all walnut with a large portion of sapwood. The photo of the wrist area bares this out. Nothing to be ashamed off though.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2018 at 7:32pm
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2018 at 7:40pm
I wish I knew how to get better close ups but I'm not use to a IMac computer.
Charles Wilson
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 8:29am
Interesting Universal, they are good guns in spite of what some people say.

I noticed that it has the late Universal design charging handle, can you turn it over and see if it has an aluminum trigger housing, or take a picture for us? If it has, then I suspect this gun originally came with a vented steel upper hand guard and that the one on it is a add on, that's why they look differently, Universal dropped the wood upper hand guard when they updated the action of the gun.

Just my 2 cents.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 9:04am
Charles, your missing half the fun of owing an M 1 carbine not cleaning and oiling it yourself. Just don't use a steel cleaning rod, only brass. Oil generously especially the lug aria but run some dry patches through the barrel before shooting. Have fun with it.
Charles 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2018 at 5:47pm
Your absolutely Right. I would have enjoyed cleaning the M1 Carbine however even though it was fired only once 50 years ago. I wanted my gun smith to examine it to make sure it was safe to shoot since it
was put away for 50 years just to be safe. I followed my gut.

Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 7:52pm
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 7:57pm
Charles Wilson
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2018 at 7:10am
Based on the rectangle shape of the trigger housing, the charging handle, and the serial number, I am quit sure that this gun originally came with a vented steel upper hand guard. Nothing wrong with the wood, takes a special wood upper for the Universal a USGI won't fit without being modified. Good to have, I've seen people looking for a wood upper for a Universal, they want to make their gun look more like the GI Carbine. I don't see any signs of wear in the magazine well or on the bolt, this gun appears to be almost like new, what did your gun smith say about it?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 9:36pm
As my neighbor stated, it was only fired once time in 50 years.
It’s was suggested to everyone in poletown to get one
Because of the riots in Detroit at the time, so after a test
Fire, it was put away 50 years and never again touched or used.
I do believe my life long neighbor who’s 89 now because he was a
Physics guy at the Detroit arsenal and tank plant for 45 years and he
Wasn’t a great guy at all and after 50 years he gifted it to me and I’m
About 50 years old so he bought when I was born, lol.

Charles Wilson
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 11:10am
Chuck

You are very lucky, that gun should give you years of service if you take good care of it like any fine rifle. I bought my first Universal about 50 years ago at a Sears store, how things have changed. I'm now on my second Universal that I bought sight unseen unfortunately the previous owner didn't take good care of it and I had to almost re-build the whole gun, that was tough with parts hard to find these days. Now it's as good as new. Keep them clean and oiled and only use USGI magazines and they will last a long time and be mostly trouble free.
If your interested and haven't found it already, here is the link on this site that gives great detailed information about Universals. If you haven't read it yet you should make it a priority, all Universal owners need to read this, you'll get information you can't get anywhere else.

Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 5:16pm
My Gun Smith asked was it ever used,lol. 
Charles Wilson
Chuck70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 5:17pm
ok. Thanks for the information.
Charles Wilson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>