Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine hunting anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine hunting anyone?
    Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 10:51am
I should say sleuthing! Check out 5 digit Inland for $4950 on Pre98 website. Then determine what is wrong. Then we will find out what kind of investigators you all are. If collecting one has to try some of simplest things today. Its obvious some people are not. And this is on both sides of the fence.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 1:09pm
Nice closeup of the Winchester safety and short faced mag catch on this Early Inland.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 1:23pm
I'm still trying to find the carbine! Pre98 website??????
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 1:38pm
Better question is who buys guns from that web site. First time I have looked at the site in a few years , last time there were several humped K98's , all I needed to see to know it's not worth looking at. No surprise about the carbine. Reminds me of the carbine on Harry Viezens "fine guns" for the same asking price. Not exactly shoppers paradises if you ask me.
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 1:40pm
You aren't missing much. Just search pre98 his site will pop up.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 5:34pm
Hmmm...Interesting flip sight and sling well.

Opportunities to learn are everywhere. Have a look at the IP and others listed out west.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by chipins chipins wrote:

You aren't missing much. Just search pre98 his site will pop up.

Thanks. Never been to that site before and will probably not go there again.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 10:50am
what is the dead giveaway that it is restored? Its very obvious.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 1:13pm
Is this the same one posted a few months back? If so there are pictures missing.

You and I are up front and put two much stock in these old carbines.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 4:06pm
Hello MR,
I have other concerns but will keep it short:
I'd believe the 9-42 barrel date works for  50,004 Inland.
I'm sure as you'd know lot of first run M1A1's in this serial range.
But the color of the barrel, being what appears to be Dulite isn't any where close to the finish of the Receiver..which looks to be Phosphate, and would be expected much later.
Flip sight just S marked on the base would be possible... If Real.
Is it me or does the Dovetail tops look like they've been heated ? Possibly had stake marks filled ?

Other than the overall barrel to receiver finish not matching,
I question the small CC in the slingwell.
I believe the small CC stamped in the slingwells stopped showing up around the 35,000 range...
Give or take.

Might be entertaining to see this one stripped down.

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777

PS, When I seen the Topic Title: Carbine Hunting Anyone ?
I thought this might have been about one of your Motor home excursions hog hunting !!
Living Free because of those that serve.....
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 5:56pm
Looks like the stock may have had a type 2 or 3 barrel band on it at one time
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 7:26pm
To me the stock looks messed with as well. Check out how much of the side of the TH is visible below the stock in the same image that shows the Winchester safety and the reworked, serrated mag catch. I think it has been sanded a bit.

Dan, is your comment a clue? Too much stock?
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 8:56pm
Agree that it looks like a winch safety but I also do not believe that the sling swivel should be marked, I think UI marked swivels showed up a little later.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

I think UI marked swivels showed up a little later.

Agree Wayne,
To early for a marked Swivel.
Good Catch !

Charlie-Painter777
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 10:38pm
For those with access to a popular social media site, search recent posts and images. There one might find a similar example. What a pain in the rear.

Things can be added to a stock or removed. In this case both. Anything look strange on the right rear of the stock near the I cut?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 11:05pm
RIA September 10-2011

Fake CC Added and Fake CC removed.

Still say pictures in the Pre98 link show finish difference.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 11:36pm
I think it's a totally different stock. Wood grain doesn't match. Different scratches and dents.   Still has a lot of other problems.
JackP
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 11:42pm
grand slam!   diff stock totally
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 11:42pm
and other repro parts
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 12:09am
Do you think that Winchester safety is repro? I hope not. I got one just like it.
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>