Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IP stock marking mystery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 3:25am
Better pic, circle with arrow at top and 2 squiggly lines below, thought this was fat man?  My old Canon can't focus in any closer.  Very well could be a bring back, the darn Enfield was too large, so maybe a few of these came back.  Later donated by the widow?  When I get time I will contact the museum and try and get details.  

The history on how these WW2 carbines made it to Canada I don't have any idea.  The ones I have seen for sale [6] in last 2 months have no import marks at all.  

Thanks

M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 3:46pm
HAppy 4th July to all!!!!  

Also Happy to have America at our border.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 11:15pm
Any ideas on stamp mark?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2018 at 6:39am
That is a different mark for sure. The top section does look simliar to the "pine tree" mark shown on other IP receivers. Perhaps that was one of the first marks used? Dunno.

Great, clear pictures BTW.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 4:19am
The M1 books and bulletins don't show this mark?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 12:20pm
Here is what I am seeing between the two angles.

It is possible that it was two stamps that are on top of each other.
It is possible that it was reported, but early on we relied on descriptions. How would this be described?
Circle and arrow is (or was) the symbol for male.  It may be a partial mark. the rest??????
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 9:17pm
Looks like Hitchcock or an alien.

Based on the OP's S/N this might be the earliest mark used?

New2 has hit on something I've never noticed. I haven't seen many, but so far all ordinance bombs stamped on the flat appear to be in the white. Can the OP confirm. Other members please check and report.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 10:06pm
Close to drawing but has 2 separate squiggly legs.  Does not appear to be a double stamp.

Yes flame bomb in white, check my photo with grease print.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2018 at 10:13pm
Really like CCNL #374 with the IP info.  Learned things that I couldn't find on the net.  Such as there is a Navy Vet bring back IP with 1.76 with an oval cut stock.  And that the 5 digit ink stamp was blue maybe turned greenish with age?  Was common for IP/SG stocks.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234