Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IP stock marking mystery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2018 at 9:42pm
Glad you guys think it might pass the fakery messed with test so far.  Plus this data sheet, nice.  I'm more motivated now to clean it up and see more markings.  There for sure is no gun power residue and barrel is bright and shiney like as new.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Sounds like you have gone far enough. There's really not a ton of things to look for on these little rifles. Nice rifle, I know I'll never have one and that actually doesn't bother me at all since I enjoy looking at other collector's carbines.

Now that sounds sad.  Even up here with our restrictions I can own it and take it to the range.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2018 at 10:41pm
The M2 or M4 marking, if present, is found on the right rear rail. The following pic shows the area in the upper left corner. It can look like an I but is actually part of an M.

If there is a barrel bomb on the rail, it will be above the M2 or M4 marking. Mine was also dirty but could be seen without cleaning it and with some kind of magnification.

M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2018 at 10:51pm
There is part of a 2 on the rail in that area.

Bolt has a 2 on bottom.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 12:06am

M2 stamp is what we believe a 2 piece stamp. Often seeing them not line up.
Have seen the M stamped upside down also.
Same with the bomb stamp on the right rear of the receiver, it can be found upside down.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 1:49pm

Here is my man
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:11pm
More pics Flame bomb hand guard

M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

If OK ?
I'd like to add this link about IP's and markings/barrel dates found on them that Newscotlander had inquired about some years ago.
I see 1,77 IP's with 1 and 2 of 43 dated barrels (see link below)

It will give good insight to markings found on IP carbines.
It's a 5 page thread with plenty of good pictures and questions/theories about IP/S'G'/SG use and supply of receivers.
I believe it will be of great help to the OP and others with questions after the take over of IP:

HTH's
Charlie-Painter777

Interesting, why no posts since 2012?
Thanks
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:22pm
Just wondering about, the front barrel band UP, butt plate, oiler tube all show some corrosion compared to other metals that have none?

I think the sling/oiler were added later as they do not match condition wise to the rifle.
Thanks
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:23pm
Just a old link from another forum, that happened to have good info about IP's with pictures.

Add:
Slings can hold moisture, causing rust on swivels and oilers.
Buttplates can pull moisture from being stood on wet surface.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Just a old link from another forum, that happened to have good info about IP's with pictures.

Add:
Slings can hold moisture, causing rust on swivels and oilers.
Buttplates can pull moisture from being stood on wet surface.

I see, is there a page on IP here?
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 2:37pm
More pics sling well include flame bomb

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 8:59pm
"House"

"'Pine Tree"
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 9:05pm
Interesting, house, fat man, p tree all some kind of IP code?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 9:09pm
Have seen carbines with rust in exposed areas while on the inside they are pristine or close to it. Wondering if exposed areas touched by the user and not cleaned can also rust over time. Areas like the front of the trigger, rear section of the exposed barrel, slide handle, barrel band and butt plate.

Anyone know why two marks on rear of receiver? Proofed once by IP and then proofed again by S'G?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Have seen carbines with rust in exposed areas while on the inside they are pristine or close to it. Wondering if exposed areas touched by the user and not cleaned can also rust over time. 

Yes They Will......

Here is a Inland brought to me for service that shows rust started where it had been handled and not wiped clean before storing. Other pictures I have of this one clearly show the Palm print. Keeping it wet with Hoppes #9 and light brushing with the Milled Grain Direction cleaned it up, see below:

After Cleaning:

Learned at about age 5, Wipe all metal before 'Properly Storing'

Happy 4th to all,

Charlie-Painter777
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 7:53pm
You must have seen my big fat grease print under the barrel!  Sure sure I'll clean it up.

Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Have seen carbines with rust in exposed areas while on the inside they are pristine or close to it. Wondering if exposed areas touched by the user and not cleaned can also rust over time. Areas like the front of the trigger, rear section of the exposed barrel, slide handle, barrel band and butt plate.

Anyone know why two marks on rear of receiver? Proofed once by IP and then proofed again by S'G?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 10:31pm
The OP's receiver has a marking that doesn't look like one of the three marks (fat man, pine tree or house). Perhaps this is a new marking of one with which I am not familiar? Would like to see a close up picture of it.
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2018 at 2:32am
IT looks like the fat man stamp shown by Dan.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 12:10am
I do not think it the same as the fat man. Very interesting indeed! what I see  looks like a circle with an arrow pointed up as the picture is orientated. I cannot make out what is below the circle, May be a second stamp.

Flipping through newsletters I found some interesting stuff. It seems that some early Inlands went to Canada possibly through the Lend Lease. 
It was asked if any proof marks were on Canadian owned carbines. What I did find was not proofs but Canada Property marks. Basically a broad head arrow in a C.

The marks were observed on the stock near CC and the hand guard as well as the left side of the front ring.
For those interested see CCNL 55, 381
For info on loaned, sold or traded carbines to Allied nations see CCNLs 61-1, 349-12, 358-21

So now this OPs IP may not have these marks, which means it may not have been Canadian property. So it may well have been a bring home. Very Interesting Indeed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>