Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Remove wood stain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove wood stain
    Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 9:27am
Am attempting to refinish a birch stock.  Objective is natural wood with raw linseed oil same as issued by Inland in '45.  Did purchase a surplus stock advertised as excellent condition.  Is in good shape, but had been stained an ugly, splotchy, red, then clear coated.  Was able to remove clear coat with Formby's Refinisher and bronze wool, but the stain remains impregnated within the wood.  Even tried methylene chloride with little benefit.  Do not want to sand.  Any options?  Sorry if this has been addressed previously.
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 2:20pm
Couple days ago I sent Dan of New2brass photo of a M2 Italian Fat stock I have that had a crack I repaired. I did a light scraping before repair then a very light sanding after repair. There are specks, more so on bottom of stock that I don't want to go that far to remove. Dan may have posted a thread somewhere of the picture. I just took a photo of an old "Outdoor Life" article of stock finish removal. I have not done this but find article interesting. Private message me with e-mail if you want these pictures 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by InlandHunter InlandHunter wrote:

Do not want to sand.

ZAR Paint and Varnish stripper is the best I've found, it's a semi-paste. 

If the after stripped wood is really light in color, you may want to stain it.
If so, depending on the 'base' your stain of choice is made up of, you may need to pre-seal it before staining it. this will limit the penetration of the stain and give you a more even color.
For example if your using a oil based penetrating stain, just before you stain it, wipe the grain fully with a coat of mineral spirits/paint thinner. While still damp apply the stain over the stock, wipe excess off lightly in about 15 minutes.

Do not use a stain with a mixed in type of varnish...aka like stain and finish all in 1 can.
Of course you could worry about how to (if desired) stain later.
Right now the objective is to strip the stain.
Zar-semi-paste will do it, but be prepared it is a 'Hot' stripper.

In this link see my reply #4 for some more info, it refers to painted rack numbers but will pull stain easier:

HTH,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 8:24am
Charlie, thanks for the Zar stripper tip. Do you know if the active ingredient is methylene chloride same as other popular products, or is it unique? I don't intend to darken or stain the stock prior to refinish with raw, linseed oil. This is a bring back gun that I molested as a kid attempting to checker it. The original stock was a light, natural color I wish to reproduce.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 12:33pm
I use the Metal can, which is the 'Hot' one. It has Methylene Chloride.
I've never used the Plastic jug, which is the 'Eco Friendlier' version. It has Benzyl Alcohol.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2018 at 12:47pm
To Add:
Had to re-post, kept timing out on me.

Neither product needs to be final neutralized.

I wash off residue when using the metal can/Hot one by brushing with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Read on the Eco friendly/plastic jug pdf that it requires a wash down with water.

Good Weekend to you,
CH-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply