Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quality Hardware info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Hardware info
    Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 3:09pm
Saw this today....didnt get to take it apart
late number: 4824389
stock: Low wood...in sling well (PSG) but thinking RSG with a O.....wheel cartouche right side....2 hole hand guard
Barrel: undated IBM.....didnt see any marks on frt sight....barrel band type 2 missing screw.....
Rear sight Flip: GE O or G right side.....left side S marked
Trigger housing: Milled? looks like....mag release marked P-O?

Question....worth looking into as a "as built"....?...taking apart for review?
away from books right now....
Thanks for any help
al
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 3:39pm
What you show looks correct to me, but there's still other items that need to be looked at too, such as the bolt, slide and internal trigger housing parts. I can tell you that the trigger housing is not milled, it's of the stamped and brazed together variety. The rear sight shows the correct staking on the sides that's commonly seen on late Quality Hardware carbines. One other thing, neat, integrated stock there that's not often seen.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 3:45pm
Grunt....Thanks...i meant to say brazed for the trigger housing....:).....hope to take a in depth  look next tues......more to follow....
al
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 3:47pm
So would the stock be PSG or RSG...:)
al
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by sfal7418 sfal7418 wrote:

Question....worth looking into as a "as built"....?...taking apart for review?
away from books right now....
Thanks for any help

I would say yes to worth looking at. I believe the stock is RSG and rear sight is GE-Q. Trigger housing should be stamped Q-TX.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 6:26pm
Have a look at the QHMC review in CCNL 334 and CCNL121. 121 has a COM with the same first 4 of your SN. I do not have that COM in my copy, but 334 talks about the RSG stock, GE-Q flip, and IBM undated barrel. More info is needed but what is shown so far looks nice including what looks like a pin prick stake mark on the dove tail.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 2:32pm
Hmm, look at the stock around recoil plate area. typical RSG
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 3:57pm
Here's a source for a replacement barrel band screw on Ebay. Hopefully your barrel band isn't stripped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-WW2-M1-M2-US-Carbine-SCREW-front-band-UNUSED-NOS/153047483241?hash=item23a2574369:g:koIAAOSwiBJaBvr1
JackP
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 5:18pm
Thanks fot the info on screw...reminds me that i will bring one with me from my other carbines...i assume thread is the same...to check for it being stripped....also thanks for input on stock with regards to recoil plate....which when i saw the gap my first thought was its a replacement stock...
Thanks again
Al
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2018 at 6:00pm
Looked at her today....as the shop owner didnt show.....i could only convince them to let me take it out of the stock...trigger housing right...hand guard RSG...hammer right....didnt take bolt out...was rather excited....made an offer will know tomorrow...
Thanks for the input
Al
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 5:15pm
Well........they took my offer....:)...cant wait to pick it up and tear it apart...:)...
more to follow for info
Thanks al
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 11:14pm

Well........they took my offer....:)...cant wait to pick it up and tear it apart...:)...
more to follow for info
Thanks al

We can't wait either!! Congrats!!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2018 at 2:05pm
Hope to pic this up end of week....
My question is is the barrel band screw for type 2 and 3 shorter than type 1

Thanks al
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2018 at 2:24pm

Hope to pic this up end of week....
My question is is the barrel band screw for type 2 and 3 shorter than type 1

Thanks al

In a word yes.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2018 at 3:41pm
Picked it up....was so excited i started to take it apart in the truck before even leaving the shop:)....pics maybe tomorrow

Quick rundown on parts
Bolt tp3 EM-Q right lug, Firing Pin tp3 NL-Q...extractor tp3  W.Q......Ejector plunger tp 3 beveled
Slide tp2 DA-Q In well
Hammer LT-Q (upside down) left side
Trigger LT-Q
Sear with hole GE-Q
Mag release EP-Q
Safety tp3 smooth both ends unmarked
Trigger housing tp4 Q-TX
spring tube Q marked on end
Recoil plate Looks like RO-Q..need to clean
Hand guard R.S.G. marked
Butt plate to me looks like a QHMC
Front Sight Brazed unmarked