The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question: UtiliMAK Carbine Mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question: UtiliMAK Carbine Mount
    Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:20pm
Hit 74 last Sunday.  Been having trouble with seeing carbine sights and target at same time.

Want to put a red dot on the carbine.

Found (on internet) UtiliMAK MG-8 Mount.  Seems like a Pickatinny (sp?) mount.

If it works would seem to a help my problem.

Does any one have any experience with this company and/or this mount?

Thanks.

Uncle John

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:58pm
I am not familiar with the MG-8 mount. I have an UltiMAK M6-B Picatinny mount for a USGI carbine. It clamps to the barrel in place of the hand guard. A red dot or long relief scope will work well with this arrangement. The product is well made and is stable even though the mounting seems somewhat cantilevered. Here's a link to the makers web site:

http://ultimak.com/M6.htm

Here are some pictures showing how it mounts. It's designed to fit in a short barrel channel stock only. It will not fit in a long barrel channel stock.

JackP
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 11:18am
I realize this is an older thread, but I'm interesting in hearing more about people's experience with Ultimak and similar after market handguard replacement rails. 

Ultimak has two rail styles: 
1. Scout Mount: Full length picatinny rail
2. Direct Attachment Scout Mount: rear portion is a pre-drilled aimpoint micro footprint. Front portion is picatinny rail. The benefit here is you can get an optic lower by attaching it directly to the pre-drilled footprint at the back.

Ultimak has a few versions of each rail to accommodate USGI vs later manufactured carbines.

Has anyone used the Direct Attachment Scout Mount? I presume it's only a good option if you plan to use an optic with an aimpoint micro footprint or an adapter which would keep the sight lower as opposed to mounting something up on the picatinny rail.

Has anyone used Amega's offering? It's more expensive, but it includes additional mounting points and looks like it might do a better job of diverting gas away from the optic (it has a ledge overhanging the slide)

Finally, what kinds of optics have people used? JackP, what are using in your photos above?
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2023 at 7:32pm
It's an NcStar 2-6X x 28, a very low cost optic with a quick release mount so I can easily get to the iron sights when necessary.
JackP
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 10:21am
Hi, I wanted to mount a light on my Carbine and tried the Ultimak mount. I then found a shotgun mount at Brownells that was just a figure 8 clamp. I mounted a Surefire flashlight. I painted the front sight and on using the flashlight found that that front sight was very, very visible. Because of light recoil using the "tactical" button was easy to use, regards, Mike

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2023 at 11:11am
I've used 1 for a couple of years now on a couple of my Carbines and like it

This is it on one of my Fulton Armory M1 Carbines with the USGI style mount. The red dot is a Vortex Venom. It's light, handy and accurate.

Same mount on a different Carbine a couple of years ago. That red dot was a tad bulky so when I got the Fulton I went with the Venom. It still worked nice but its lighter now.

You have 2 choices depending on your carbine type, USGI style or for new production Auto Ordnance/Kahr models

Other commercial models won't mount

It looks like UltiMak is offering to models, mine would be the Scout model. They look to be similar in mounting. IMO the model I have would be better of the 2 syles
Bart1015 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2023 at 9:35am
I have a Blue Sky marked inland shooter carbine with the bayo mount.  The barrel is in great shape but the import marking is really deep. I have no idea if the barrel is damaged internally but the gun shoots great. I use and abuse this rifle all the time.  

I initially set it up with the Ultimak scout rail with a Trijicon RMR and found the red dot covered the entire 18 inch target at 100 yards. The sight I used was originally on my CZ75 and I think a smaller dot would have been more appropriate for a rifle setup. 

I ended up replacing the RMR with a 2.5x28 Leopold LER scout scope. The setup works really well for my aging eyes and is not heavy or bulky. It also holds zero even after bouncing around unprotected on the floor of my jeep. 

One thing I found that was interesting, the scout rail was just a bit to long. I was unable to mount it without it touching the front part of the receiver or the barrel band. When I shot the gun I found that I had a lot of flyers at 50 yards.  Without he rail mounted, using open sights, I did not have noticeable flyers.  

I ended up shortening the mount just enough to create about 1/16 inch clearance between the barrel band and also the receiver. Now I don't get the random flyers. So, ultimately the rail needed some clearance to get good consistant shot groups. 

Overall I really like the scout setup and I like the fact that it does not permanently alter the rifle. Feel free to PM with any questions. 

Brett 

Always looking for more carbines.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2023 at 12:24pm
I'm having same problem focusing carbine sights and target using my everyday bifocals.  Remedy is this:  Reading glasses for close vision ya buy at Walmart.  Buy several of differing diopters to see what works best.  Close vision Diopters will probably NOT be what you would normally use as readers and most certainly not same as your every-day bifocals.
Example:  My close vision bifocals are a +3.25 Diopter and the carbine iron sights are blurry as well as the down range target.  Likewise the far-vision lens.   Bought several pairs of cheap Wally-World reading glasses and determined the +3.00 Diopter focused the carbine sights perfectly with acceptable target definition at a hunnerd yards.  Then I returned the others for refund.  Had a +3.00 diopter lense fitted to my Knoblock monocle shooting glasses.  I doubt a fancy expensive dot sight will get you a better group than plano 10 dollar cheaters (reading glasses).  Please give it a try and get back to us.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2023 at 9:32am
The reason I have been researching these types of mounts is to modernize the sighting system and to retain the original sights as backup for my shooters. 
David Milisock
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2023 at 3:54pm
I went a similar route.  Only difference is I bought 1.x and 1.5x safety glasses guessing from my reading glass perscriptions and the distances.   I found I could use either with pistol but 1.5x more easily brought both sights into focus with no effort.    With the carbine, the 1x works very well.  My  groups with the full reader safety glasses can be seen in the most recent posts under 'range results'.

In the woodshop, they are sometimes useful, but for me the lens distortion is often an issue.    The eye and brain is normally a very good judge of how square something is.    Still its nice to have the option. 

(Many ranges and events require glasses.  Presumably its for eye protection, and my thinking was well they might as well be impact resistant glasses.  However I've not seen impact requirements, so maybe just any glasses cover the concerns that generated the requirement.)

Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

I'm having same problem focusing carbine sights and target using my everyday bifocals.  Remedy is this:  Reading glasses for close vision ya buy at Walmart.  Buy several of differing diopters to see what works best.  Close vision Diopters will probably NOT be what you would normally use as readers and most certainly not same as your every-day bifocals.
Example:  My close vision bifocals are a +3.25 Diopter and the carbine iron sights are blurry as well as the down range target.  Likewise the far-vision lens.   Bought several pairs of cheap Wally-World reading glasses and determined the +3.00 Diopter focused the carbine sights perfectly with acceptable target definition at a hunnerd yards.  Then I returned the others for refund.  Had a +3.00 diopter lense fitted to my Knoblock monocle shooting glasses.  I doubt a fancy expensive dot sight will get you a better group than plano 10 dollar cheaters (reading glasses).  Please give it a try and get back to us.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

The reason I have been researching these types of mounts is to modernize the sighting system and to retain the original sights as backup for my shooters. 

Hi Dave with the Utilmak mount you can no longer see the rear sight, regards, Mike
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2023 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Uncle Mike Uncle Mike wrote:

Hi Dave with the Utilmak mount you can no longer see the rear sight, regards, Mike

I wondered, the Fulton Amory site says you can remove the scope from the rail and still,use the military sights. BS as usual?
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2023 at 3:54pm

I wondered, the Fulton Amory site says you can remove the scope from the rail and still,use the military sights. BS as usual?

That's correct, without a scope or red dot in the military sights are easy to see. I was using a quick release mount on one of the red dot combo's I was using before I went with the Vortex Venom sight. The only reasons I swapped was I didn't like the cheek weld on the quick release and it won't fit the Venom 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2023 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

That's correct, without a scope or red dot in the military sights are easy to see. I was using a quick release mount on one of the red dot combo's I was using before I went with the Vortex Venom sight. The only reasons I swapped was I didn't like the cheek weld on the quick release and it won't fit the Venom 

Here's my delima, I'm hitting well with the late model military M1 Carbine sights put to 200 so it's a tough call for me to spend $1,000 for the Ultimak mount and a Holosun for 2 rifles.
David Milisock
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2023 at 10:31am
Hi, I had the Ultimak mount and without a scope I could not see the front sight. This happened to me several years ago. I returned the mount. YMMV, regards, Mike
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2023 at 1:28pm
I just double checked mine, with the Venom off I can clearly see the iron sights no problem.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2023 at 1:30pm

I just double checked mine, with the Venom off I can clearly see the iron sights no problem.

Thanks good information. 
David Milisock
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2023 at 1:36pm

Thanks good information. 

Glad to help.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2023 at 10:46am
Hi, maybe I had one with a short front sight. In my parts box I have several front  sights of different sizes. Like I said YMMY, hope you have better luck than me, regards, Mike
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2023 at 10:49am

Hi, maybe I had one with a short front sight. In my parts box I have several front  sights of different sizes. Like I said YMMY, hope you have better luck than me, regards, Mike

Did you have a flip sight or adjustable sight? I've got the later on my carbines  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>