Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Other Items Made by Prime and Subcontractors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2018 at 10:59pm
Damn,
I was going to do the Bissel Sweeper... but didn't want to be a show off.

Touche'

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2018 at 2:12pm
Dayton Racquet

Read Page 3 for more about Dayton Racquet:

http://arcanumhistoricalsociety.org/OL_NL/NL_06_Q3.pdf
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2018 at 2:37pm
From the July 6, 2006 Volume 2, issue 3.
Presidents report,
 Arcanum Wayne Trail Historical Society, lnc., 123 W. George St., Arcanum, OH 45304 

This is page 3 from this report

Dayton Racquet Company Defense Work Moving to South Albright St. in Arcanum from Dayton in 1934, the Dayton Racquet Company was the only manufacturer of steel string and steel frame racquets in the world. During the years of operations; tennis, badminton, squash, racquetball, and paddle tennis racquets were manufactured. After World War ll, the sales of racquets were mostly to schools and playgrounds with nationwide distribution. In April 1942 Dayton Racquet Company was awarded a contract to manufacture the bolt for the Ml, MlAl, and M2 Carbine rifle as a subcontractor of the Inland Manufacturing, Division of General Motors in Dayton. Inland Manufacturing was the largest producer of carbine rifles during WW ll. The contract necessitated that R. B. Munday, company president; store the racquet manufacturing equipmento make room for new machinery, leased from the Cincinnati Ordinance Department. After samples of the cartridge bolts were submitted and approved in July, full production began in September with around 65 employees. Production increased with additional employees being added to operate additional shifts, with a cafeteria opened at the factory to furnish food for the workers. Arcanum's sole defense plant was awarded the Army-Navy award on July S, 1944 during an open-air ceremony at the plant. This award was given to plants where the production of war materials was excellent. The award was celebrated with a grand picnic for the plant employees and their families held at Wayne Lakes on Saturday, July 8. Prizes amounting to $200.00 were awarded for various contests, and a grand lunch was served under the "Big Top". The war effort at the plant continued with as many as 240 people employed, with work force at times spread to three shifts. ln April I 945 production was reduced to 60 percent and by August the contract was cancelled. lmmediately the plant began to reconverto the manufacture of the steel racquets. By the end of the war production the factory employees decreased from 24O to 25. E. Louis Munday became the sole owner after his brother R. B. Munday retired from the business at the end of I 945. Ted Munday, son of Louis, continued operation of the Racquet Company until December 23,1995 when the last racquet was made.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2018 at 9:40pm
Excellent! Even better with documentation.

Still in business

Still in business

Still in business....Sort of.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2018 at 9:06am
Don't know if they made anything for the war effort but tobacco company s did supply millions in tobacco products which was good for moral, an important aspect during a very stressful time. A good thing at the time.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2018 at 8:51am
Something I knocked up for my wife. A frying pan rack made with a set of K V heavy duty full extension drawer slides. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2018 at 10:04pm
Good one Charles. Always make me smile knowing a WW2 contractor is still in business.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2018 at 5:32pm
Trimble made stocks for NPM.
Product trademark had a heart shape for the 'i' in the logo.
Here is a "Kiddie-Trainer. notice the odd address of Rochester 13, N.Y.

Here is a Kiddie-Bath

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2018 at 6:27pm
Great stuff! Since this thread started, have been looking for carbine related furniture. Nothing so far, but it so hard to tell what is what when most auction and estate sale pictures only show the furniture and not the tags. If they do it is usually the more valuable makers. I suppose that is half the fun.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2021 at 12:24am
Ice trays made by Inland circa 1937.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2021 at 10:10am
Re:  Rochester 13, N.Y.

My understanding is that bigger cities were divided into numbered postal zones before zip codes.  The number may have corresponded with a post office or station.   At least in Philadelphia, when zip codes were implemented, the previous numbers were converted directly. For example Philadelphia 1 became 19101.  

Someplace I have an early zip code guide with Mr. Zip on the cover promoting the use of zip codes.  I'm going to guess that its from the early 1950s.

Here's Union Carbide's address in NYC on the title page of the 1946 printing of The Oxy-Acetylene Handbook.

---------------------------------
Royal Typewriter, a manufacturer of M1A1 folding stock parts.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2021 at 10:31am
City codes/postal district codes started in 1943 to break up larger cities. The Zone Improvement Plan (Zip Code) was in the early 60s

You got me on Linde/Union Carbide, what did they make for the carbine?
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2021 at 10:47am
Nothing directly that I know of.  I just was looking for an example of a city postal district from the 1940s.  edit. It did cross my mind that they almost certainly supplied the equipment and gas for welding the wire stocks.  Probably also for those items that were brazed.

Doing a little web searching, the Royal typewriter shown in my previous post is a Model 10, third variation, probably built in 1927.  My dad picked that one up after the war, probably in the 1950s or 60s.  He never liked the electric ones when they came along.  He punched those keys!

While we're on the Typewriter-Carbine theme, I use to own an early IBM electric typewriter found in the town dump.  It didn't take much to get working.  Probably was a model B.  Another kid in High School had a couple of them.  Funny the things we thought were interesting! 
from here
https://typewriterdatabase.com/1958-ibm-model-b.4340.typewriter
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2021 at 11:17am
This is probably not news to most of you, but I've recently started a foray into M1 helmets and was surprised to discover Inland manafactured helmet liners.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 5:47pm
All very cool!  I did not know, either, that Inland made helmets.

That, to me, is one of the great draws to carbines and carbine collecting.  The carbine is one of greatest examples of the collective war effort by such a variety of companies during WWII.  I hope that we would never need it, but I don’t think the effort put forth by industry during WWII could ever again be duplicated.

Just amazing.  Thanks for sharing. 
Chad
USN Retired
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2021 at 8:44pm
+Raymond Mfg. Co. - Corry Pa.
Pin, Trigger Housing Retaining
Standard Products

(+) denotes added during the program.

Edited by moneawon - Dec 10 2021 at 12:52pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2021 at 12:54am
Postal Stamper

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2021 at 11:02am
Every show I go to I look through the helmet liners in hopes of finding an Inland for my helmet shell

Ha! Spring chest, that is a good one.

Wayne, You got a Commercial Controls too!

I was going to post it when the "city postal code" when Matt brought it up
Notice the Rochester 2

SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2021 at 6:24pm
I know this isn’t a helmet forum, but thought this was interesting. A Firestone-Inland?

Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2021 at 6:47pm
WOW! I wonder if lateral support? I am sure there is a helmet forum out there, if so I wonder if they ever heard of that one?
I know GE and a few of its subsidiaries made liners. And I learned that while researching carbine related items.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>