Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Late Winchester, 6.5 Mil.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Winchester, 6.5 Mil.
    Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 4:22pm
Pictures and data sheet of my late model Winchester are below.  The stock and butt plate seem to be from an earlier model though.  The operating slide has a "W" on the inside bottom, but it also has a "Y", "R" and "M" (see picture below) -- not sure what they are.  The stock grip has a "T" -- I can find nothing on this.  Thanks for any help or comments.

Corrected data sheet -- added stamped number (7160091) on marks, outside bottom of slide.  Corrected rear sight type to "adjustable stamped"

old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 5:06pm
Very nice late example. Would love to have this one! Thanks for sharing and great pictures.
Retired Army Guy
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:08pm
I love late WRA carbines. I currently have two, a 7.25 and 6.56 that are definitely above average and a third rough 6.55 that has some bad pitting on the back of the receiver heel and truthfully needs parting out. As far the OP's late Winchester goes, all I see if the wrong stock that he noted. I also noticed the splotches of grey paint on the left side of the rear sight that seems to be reasonably common on Hemphill sights. Very nice and congrats!
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:31pm
Thanks, old59porsche
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:37pm
Very nice! And lots of info. In my wandering search of parts, I wanted to ask the forum about a "W" marked bolt and you just showed me. Thanks
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:45pm
Phosphate finish on receiver and barrel appear to be original. Notice gray paint on left side of stamped adjustable rear sight. That has been observed on numerous late WRA carbines.
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:46pm
Thanks, Why Carbines?

I find it amazing that you have 3 late model WRA's.  This is my first M1 Carbine, but I think they are hard to come by anymore (plus expensive).  When I first got it, I completely disassembled and cleaned it and then immediately to the range.  Everything worked great and I was definitely hooked.  I did not realize that the stock was the wrong era when I bought the carbine.  I only found it out after reading Craig Riesch's ". . . Wartime Production".  Don't know why the stock was changed and don't know why that "T" is on the grip.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:48pm
Great looking carbine! I recently acquired a WRA carbine as well. Mine is an earlier spring tube mixmaster. I particularly noticed how similar the finish of yours is to mine. I initially thought mine might have been refinished, but maybe not. Thanks for posting the awesome images.
JackP
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 6:49pm
I have a U.S.M8   bm co scabbard if anyone interested. 
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 7:11pm
NewScotlander -- thanks for the information.  I made a mistake on the data sheet about the rear sight.  It is definitely stamped as you pointed out.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 9:22am
As you say, the stock is not correct for the serial number and therefore it suggests that an effort was made to restore it.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 11:38am
Am so happy to see this post by SACO_1945, I too have a late Winchester in the 72408xx ser range, have had concerns on the roll stamping of the front of receiver with the machining up and down, mine has really taken away from the stamping, cannot make out for sure on the M1 or if it ever had one, were all the late ones by Winchester hand stamped? Did print off the picture of the receiver but would be nice to have a larger picture just of the ring. Others who have the late ones also could you/they send us a pic of yours, would really like to do a comparesion with ours. I am not able to post pic's, old school here.
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 12:22pm
Here are a couple of close-ups.  I didn't think it was hand stamped, but the 1 (in M1) is more defined than the characters above ("ine").  But, then again, so is the M (in M1).  What do you think?

SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 12:45pm
Now that was a speedy reply,  thank you. Now hope others with late Winchesters will chime in. My concern was the serial range was when the M-2s were made. With the machining done it just did not compare with the earlier ones.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 1:50pm
Weak front receiver ring markings, especially the 1, were not that unusual on very late Winchester carbines. In fact, the 1 in the pictures above is pretty clear versus some I've seen over the years. Also, I am glad so few Winchester M2'S were made, they simply don't surface that often, especially compared to Inland M2 carbines. Finally, remember that Winchester overstamped the 2 on their M2 carbines.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by SACO_1945 SACO_1945 wrote:

Thanks, Why Carbines?

I find it amazing that you have 3 late model WRA's.  This is my first M1 Carbine, but I think they are hard to come by anymore (plus expensive).  When I first got it, I completely disassembled and cleaned it and then immediately to the range.  Everything worked great and I was definitely hooked.  I did not realize that the stock was the wrong era when I bought the carbine.  I only found it out after reading Craig Riesch's ". . . Wartime Production".  Don't know why the stock was changed and don't know why that "T" is on the grip.

There was time when almost all of the carbines I collected were transitional Winchester, Inland or late serial versions of both manufacturers. If I bought a carbine with a flip sight and a type one barrel band it was almost a coincidence. Now, almost all I do are ones with early features, when I can afford it.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 2:05pm
Thanks for your note 'Why Carbines', the M on mine is barely visible with the 1 really can't make it out but seems it was parkerized after the machining. Wish I could post a pic but am lucky enough just to turn this machine on.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 2:48pm
Speaking of late Winchesters, can someone tell me what manufacturer made the BA coded receivers for Winchester? I'm drawing a blank.
Dave
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Dave Tennent Dave Tennent wrote:

Speaking of late Winchesters, can someone tell me what manufacturer made the BA coded receivers for Winchester? I'm drawing a blank.

WB III, says Singer Mfg Co.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 3:35pm
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>