Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R. Lee Ermey 3/4/1944-4/15/18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R. Lee Ermey 3/4/1944-4/15/18
    Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 8:05pm
Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin: It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 8:15pm

From Snopes:  https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/04/15/actor-television-host-r-lee-ermey-dead-74/

R. Lee Ermey, who parlayed his real-life experience as a drill instructor for the U.S. Marine Corps into a film and television career, died on 15 April 2018. He was 74.
Ermey, a Kansas native, served as a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego between 1965 and 1967, and he also served a 14-month stint in Vietnam before he was medically discharged in 1972. Six years later, Ermey began an acting career, specializing in military roles, including an uncredited role in Apocalypse Now in 1979.

In 1987, Ermey was initially hired to be a technical advisor to director Stanley Kubrick for the film Full Metal Jacket, but Kubrick ended up casting Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman and, in a rare step, allowed the Marine to improvise his performance as well as write and edit his own dialogue. Ermey was nominated for a Golden Globe award in 1988 in the Best Supporting Actor category for his performance.

Ermey went on to play a variety of authoritative characters in more than 70 films, as well as in several television series and video games. He also hosted the History Channel series Mail Call and Lock N’ Load with R. Lee Ermey, as well as the Outdoor Channel show GunnyTime (a play on his nickname of “The Gunny”).

In 2016 Ermey, a board member of the National Rifle Association, said that he had been “blacklisted” in Hollywood after criticizing then-President Barack Obama’s policies during a December 2010 event. However, Ermey identified himself politically as an independent.

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 9:08pm
Very sad news, RIP "Gunny"
Semper Fi!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 8:09am
R.I.P., Gunny.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 9:32am
We are going to miss you, RIP
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 11:12am
Sad to hear of his passing. I was stunned and found it so hard to believe! Rest in peace, Gunny.
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 1:32pm
I enjoyed R. Lee on his "History Channel" series very much. I miss him also.
ThePrattman View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePrattman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 9:40am
I missed a chance to meet him at wwii weekend in reading pa 2007. A couple members of my reenacting group we're able to speak with him for a bit. Rip gunny
 Post Reply Post Reply