Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italian surplus M4 Bayonets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italian surplus M4 Bayonets
    Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 3:15pm
Classic firearms deal of the week is Italian Surplus M4 bayonets if anyone is interested, $39.99 is a pretty good price I think.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/bayonet-m1-carbine-with-scabbard-italian
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 3:50pm
W5USMC,

Thank you for posting the link. I ordered two.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 7:18pm
They look pretty good in their video.  I ordered one.  Thanks for the heads up.
QHMC44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QHMC44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2018 at 8:49pm
Also ordered 2, as they look pretty clean, and appear to have minimal wear.  I don't know if I agree with the assertion that they are "highly collectible".   Thanks for the heads up.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:50pm
I received my two Italian M4 Bayonets today, so it was 8 days from order to receipt.

Both examples are A.E.T. manufactured, and dated 1950. One appears to be unissued, with a repainted scabbard, and the other was definitely used, and has some fairly minor rust that will probably go away with a good oiling. I like the worn bayonet better than the apparently unissued bayonet. I was kind of hoping that I'd get one example from each manufacturer, but it was luck of the draw.

Here are some photos for comparison:

Both bayonets are marked with "A.E.T., (crossed cannons), 1950" on the ricasso, and a serial number on the reverse. The guards are unmarked. They both have M8 style scabbards. Neither the Kiesling, nor Cole Bayonet books list this Italian M4 Bayonet, which surprised me. The Cole book covers U.S. Military knives, but I checked it because it sometimes lists foreign items associated with U.S. examples. However, the Janzen Bayonet book does list it, indicating it is a variation of the U.S. bayonet for the M1 Carbine, but was used on Beretta BM59 Rifles, as well as Beretta AR70 and SC70 Rifles. However, the date of 1950 on these bayonets precedes the rifles that Janzen mentions. The Kiesling book lists a different bayonet for the BM59, which was very much like an M7 Bayonet. So, I'm not sure the Janzen book is correct that these were used on BM59's, and their use on Carbines is not mentioned.

I hope this helps, if you're interested in acquiring any of these bayonets. I'd like to see what other folks here receive in their orders. I'm actually tempted to place another order...

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

I'd like to see what other folks here receive in their orders.

David,
I received one of the two that I ordered yesterday, it is AET 1959 marked and appears to be unissued. I expect the other one to be delivered tomorrow.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:03am
The one I ordered is AET 1957, appears to be unissued with a repainted scabbard. SN 51329. 
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:42am
I received mine yesterday.  AET 1956 stamped in un issued condition.  I'm new to bayonets but I think its a nice one for the $40.  I was thinking about placing an order for one more and request the FET model but I don't think they are hand picking.  I haven't heard anyone yet saying they got an FET actually.  Thanks W5USMC    for the heads up on this one! 

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:08pm
Got my second bayonet today, appears unissued AET 1955. This one came with a modified USM8A1 VIZ scabbard. The 1st one I received was in an Italian copy of a M8 scabbard.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
QHMC44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QHMC44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 11:19am
Received my 2 bayonets on 4/4, abouts 8 days after order.  Both are AET's one dated 1950 and the other 1956, and are in excellent, almost new shape, heavy grease on one, the other moderate.  Grip handle color varies slightly (1950 dated was lighter in color, appearing to be bakelite; the 1956 is darker, appearing to be brown plastic.  Both have the AET crossed cannons and serialized 56656 and 66702 respectively.  Scabbards are in lightly used condition, and as W5USMC points out are Italian copies of the US M8 (no M1910 belt hooks), and webbing is a tan khaki color.  Overall, worth the money.  I will post pics when I get a chance.  I did receive an e-mail from CF indicating the $39.95 price will be extended through this weekend 4/8.
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 8:44pm
Just for the record:  I ordered one to use as a display.  It has the AET and crossed cannons dated 1957.  Number on the other side is 44058.  It has never been sharpened and looks to have never been used.
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
QHMC44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QHMC44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 9:28pm
Almost forgot to mention, that the blades on these don't appear to have ever been sharpened.  Here are the pics I didn't get a chance to post last time: < ="text/">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 8:31am
I liked the one I got I just ordered one more............
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 8:04pm
After I saw the serial numbers reported here for other AET manufactured bayonets, it made me question whether I had read the year of manufacture correctly on my bayonets. I had not. The font is kind of tricky...At closer examination, both my bayonets are dated 1960. Serial numbers are 130129 and 137368.

Has anyone received an FET manufactured bayonet yet?

BTW, I just ordered 2 more...They are still $39.99 right now...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
DonFromTexas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFromTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 1:36pm
Still available, I just ordered one, will show it off when it gets here.  I only had the bakelite handled one.
Retired US Army Officer
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 1:55pm
Ordered one. AET 1959 SN 115430 Ordered 4/6, received 4/10. Brown plastic handles, bayonet appears unused, scabbard repainted with rusty snaps and buckle tips, dirty webbing. Still a good deal.
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 7:43pm
Here is the data that has been presented here so far. Some of the serial numbers are not sequentially logical, but that may be a valid factor. I'd be interested to have everyone take a close look at the date again on their bayonet to double check it, like I did, as the font for the 6 looks like a 5 from different angles.

If anyone would like additional data noted, to fill in the spaces, please post your info.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 8:15pm
David, here are the serial #'s to the 2 bayonets I have received: 1955 is 22193, the 1959 is 123875. Expecting another one to be delivered in the next couple of days. Also here is a picture of the actual M8A1 scabbard I received with the 1955 bayonet.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 8:50pm
W5USMC,

Looks like you scored on the 1955 dated bayonet and scabbard. Thanks for the additional info. I'll continue to record the data, and post a new spreadsheet once we have a few more. I ordered 2 more last night, but they have not shipped yet. I am looking forward to someone getting an F.E.T. marked bayonet in their shipment, as well as determining more about the date ranges of these Italian bayonets.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
QHMC44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QHMC44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 10:00pm
I also re-upped for 2 more.  :o
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>