Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Markings
    Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 10:31pm
I was hoping for some information on my M1 Type I Stock markings. I have attached some photos. I have gone through the stock marking descriptions on the site. Would this be a different way a Rockola RMC could have been vertically marked in the sling well with the R over top the M over top the C? I think it was refurbished at Rock Island RIA in the box? Is the magazine pouch an original or repro? Thanks for any thoughts.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Kubota Kubota wrote:

Would this be a different way a Rockola RMC could have been vertically marked in the sling well with the R over top the M over top the C?

Yes, some RMC stocks have been noted with the vertical marking.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 9:31am
Desireable stock, even if rebuild.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Kubota Kubota wrote:

Is the magazine pouch an original or repro?

Can we get a picture of the bottom side of the female snap on the mag pouch?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 4:36pm
Here are some pictures along with some of the sling. If the pouch is original what did the Avery stand for? Thanks for your help and time.
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 4:49pm
Thanks everyone for the replies on the stock. I have not yet taken the rifle apart but was wondering if there would be any Rock-Ola markings to look for inside the stock or under the hand guard? Thank you again. As a M1 newbe this is great fun finding all the information from this website.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 5:49pm
RMC stamped vertically in the slingwell were found on the earliest Rock Ola carbines, very few, very limited, some found on their rare spring tube receivers.

I can't recall if there was also a Flaming bomb stamped in the well also..... I may be confusing with other makers like early Inlands.

Very early Rock Ola Hand Guards can be found with the letters (RMC) stamped like your slingwell.

Is there any type of Crossed Cannons stamp on your stock?
Would be on the right rear side.

Curious as to what receiver currently calls this stock home?
NOTE: (I found your post, that it's a QHMC 1,87)
Also the Buttplate.......

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 6:33pm
Your Avery pouch appears original. I'm not sure what the products Avery manufactured prior to the war. They made M1 Carbine pouch examples that are listed in War Baby II, and they also made some canvas items for the Thompson. You can see one of them at the following link:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10090

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 7:47pm
Charlie, I have attached a few pictures of the right side of stock which might appear to have been sanded during refurbishment?? There is what appears to be a sideways w when you look at it but can look like a w or 2 with a flash photo. That is all I can notice on right side. The are other markings in the sling well to the left of the RMC but I can’t make them out. Yes it is a quality hardware receiver. Have not taken the butt plate of yet would there be markings on that or on the stock behind the plate? Thank you John
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 9:38pm
CC, Probably sanded away.

Some Butt plates were marked on the outer side edge, some on the bottom out from the dimple pattern, but just a few... easy to see.
We try to ID Buttplates from looking at the outside pattern of the Dimples/Checkering.
There would be nothing inside from the makers to tip us off.
Have seen/heard of guys finding notes left by previous GI's and Owners under/inside the butt plates, but obviously rare occasions.

CH-P777 
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 7:53am
Thank you for the information on the pouch. Would you have any thoughts on the sling?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 8:06am
Sling looks like a legit Korean/Vietnam era sling.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 9:03am
Sometimes figuring buttplates is an art.
There were WW2 made for specific contractors and then some were made over seas by foreign governments as well as post war contracts.
Throw into the mix the commercial ones and reproductions and it becomes quite the task to sometimes determine which is which.

There is one that is marked on the inside bottom (picture inverted)  and in the only two reported examples you cannot see the marking from the outside

If you want us to figure it out post a picture.

Looking at your stock pictures I would recommend not trying to take close ups. Move the camera back so it can focus. More lighting helps the camera. Mt favorite is on a sunny day in the shade. It looks darker to us but camera uses that light. If you are not in the shade then you get shadows that may be too strong.

Hope that helps
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 6:12pm
Thanks everyone for the information and advice on the stock, pouch and sling. Below is a picture of the butt plate. I removed it and no markings on the inside (or notes which would have been cool). Also an outside picture in the shadows. Thanks for the tip.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 10:44am
My guess is late Winchester.
Stock mark is probably just a ding.
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 12:22pm
Thanks everyone for all of the answers to my questions and photos. Much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply